General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Electric power and distribution upgrade needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Electric power and distribution upgrade needed!

Daily the promotion and acceptance of EVs ramps up. Although right now only a niche, the hope is eventually to make fossil-fuel vehicles fossils themselves.

At present, the penetration of EVs is slight enough not to cause gastric disturbances, but I believe soon will come the realization that our current electric power generation and distribution systems will not suffice to satisfy our hopes of total (or near-total) replacement.

Looking at this as a system in which the EV is only one cog in the machine, we can see that unless we are able to generate considerable amount of electricity by means other than fossil fuels, we will just be kicking the green can down the road, It must be a serious continuous source, not just intermittent wind and solar. My bet would be on new and safer forms of nuclear power. If people were really serious about curbing carbon expenditure, they would do well to take another look at nuclear alternatives. A few catastrophic and spectacular accidents with 40 year old designs have poisoned many people against this alternative, but even including this history, nuclear power has proved safer as a whole than any other energy source. New even safer designs, some employing molten salt rather than water, including a few based on thorium rather than uranium, and recent boron-hydrogen laser fusion breakthroughs, should be seriously considered. They are, chiefly in other countries, such as China and India. Once again, we could be blindsided because others are more open-minded. We may wind up paying royalties once we wake up and smell the coffee.