Front / rear weight distribution

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Front / rear weight distribution

Does anyone know the percentage weight distribution of the '07 Camry Hybrid front / rear?

For example 50/50 would be evenly distributed, or 65/35 would be 65 percent of the weight in the front and 35 percent in the rear, etc.

I haven't been able to find the answer, but it would give info to determine ideal tire inflations (not mfg. recommended) and handling characteristics (oversteer vs. understeer).

Old 06-10-2006, 08:22 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Front / rear weight distribution

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Does anyone know the percentage weight distribution of the '07 Camry Hybrid front / rear?

For example 50/50 would be evenly distributed, or 65/35 would be 65 percent of the weight in the front and 35 percent in the rear, etc.

I haven't been able to find the answer, but it would give info to determine ideal tire inflations (not mfg. recommended) and handling characteristics (oversteer vs. understeer).
Weight distribution must be a secret. I poured thru Google search and numerous auto sites with TCH reviews and I could not find 1 reference to what the weight distribution is, not even on a non-hybrid 2007 Camry.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I called Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 and got the answer to your question.

The weight distribution for the Camry Hybrid is 54% Front and 46% Rear.

And that is very good for a front drive car. While accelerating that would result in near neutral handling.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Arrow Re: Front / rear weight distribution

That is exceptionally good for a FWD car. Thanks for checking it out. Once again, I'm very impressed with Toyota.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:32 AM

That is exceptionally good for a FWD car. Thanks for checking it out. Once again, I'm very impressed with Toyota.

I suspect that the battery pack helps shift some of the weight rearward...

Old 06-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

I guess for tire pressure with the weight almost even then the tires could be filled even, Steve? 42/42?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:41 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by aslterp7
I guess for tire pressure with the weight almost even then the tires could be filled even, Steve? 42/42?
Toyota recommended pressure is 32/32. To just get a little better mileage, you would risk poorer handling characteristics and a harsher ride?? Why?

The TCH is a compromise hybrid in the 1st place - better mileage, but still preserving interior space and ride quietness in a larger pkg. If all you care about is high mileage per se, then a Honda Insight should be your car.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 PM

Hehe, I just sold an Insight to buy the TCH. At insightcentral.net, they have extensively studied and tested the benefits, drawbacks, and hazards of higher tire pressures. I believe there are a lot of unsupported myths about running 40+ PSI tire pressures, and I've been happy with the results both in the Insight and the Camry. Not convinced that the mileage rewards are significant in the Camry... a brief test on the first night I had the car showed a small gain... but the ride comfort and performance have not suffered with the few extra PSIs. Insight owners found better wear and handling characteristics with higher PSIs, and no increased risk of tire failure such as blowouts. Therefore, I'd rather give it a good test, and if it serves to help us all learn or confirm something, then it will be worthwhile.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

A bit off the subject, but since we are discussing tire pressures.....has anybody tried nitrogen in theirs yet? Publications show a 2% gain in mileage due to the fact they run cooler and hence less rolling resistance. They also say the tires should last longer.

www.airliquide.com/file/ paragraphtranslation/tires_filling.pdf

Old 06-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Honda Insight owners are probably the most obsessive (not in a bad way) about mileage issues, including tire PSI, nitrogen, etc. You will find excellent discussions about nitrogen at insightcentral.net. I was looking at that topic last night on their site, and read that tire air compressors (the type you find for public use outside of gas stations) use 79 percent nitrogen. It seemed that people concurred there was no real reason to use nitrogen unless you were driving a race car that might be prone to blowouts... since nitrogen does not alter tire pressures as it heats up. If any of my info was stated incorrectly, will someone hit me over the head with a Smart Key, please?

Quick Reply: Front / rear weight distribution

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands