General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Agreed. But GM would be crazy to implement what is essentially the EV2 and do so without regenerative braking.
I don't know where the idea came from that the Volt would not have regenerative braking. Everything I read including the original post above indicates that it would, even a future fuel cell variant of the E-flex system would still have a smaller battery to allow for regenerative braking. In addition some other information available on other sites address the fact that that with a 120 kW motor and a battery rated at 136 kW almost all braking could be done regeneratively in comparison to the 50 kW or so limit in my RX400h

If GM can get the Volt to market, sell it at an affordable price (i.e. Not going the nillion dollar FCV pricing structure), and make it reliable, they will have a major league player.
In one of the interviews I saw they addressed this to the extent of pointing out this was a Chevy badge and that Chevy tops out at about $30,000 so that indicates where it needs to be.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Proud to be GM

If GM can get the Volt to market, sell it at an affordable price (i.e. Not going the nillion dollar FCV pricing structure), and make it reliable, they will have a major league player.
I'm assuming the "million dollar pricing FCV" statement is one of magnitude, not that AshenGrey actually believes that anybody is pricing it there. The relevance of million dollars & FCV is that the currently viewable driving prototypes cost over a million to produce, as is the case with prototype vehicles in general.

Peace,

James

Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder what the fuel economy is when the car is not plugged in.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine
I wonder what the fuel economy is when the car is not plugged in.
From original post
In the event a driver forgets to charge the vehicle or goes on a vacation far away, the Volt would still get 50 mpg by using the engine to convert gasoline into electricity

Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Give your friends a pat on the back Martin. Lets see something using the technology in the Volt on the streets soon.

We all know the Volt as it was shown will not be for sale, but if you guys come up with something close to it I think you will have a hit.

Look at the survey results for the should we build the volt on GMs page. 15,000 people will buy one. And thats just people that know about the poll. 99% of people voting are favorable to this type of car.

Bring it on! It might just outsell the prius if you can build enough of them fast enough.

Tom

Old 01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Give your friends a pat on the back Martin. Lets see something using the technology in the Volt on the streets soon.

We all know the Volt as it was shown will not be for sale, but if you guys come up with something close to it I think you will have a hit.

Look at the survey results for the should we build the volt on GMs page. 15,000 people will buy one. And thats just people that know about the poll. 99% of people voting are favorable to this type of car.

Bring it on! It might just outsell the prius if you can build enough of them fast enough.

Tom
I love the stats on this concept car! I'd forgive GM for inventing the Pontiac if they rolled out the Volt. I was looking at a Prius or a Hond mystery-hybrid for 2009. But if GM looks like they would actually make a Volt for 2010, I could wait an extra year.

For Martin: I finally got to look at GM's 2-mode hybrid page. It definately looks like a real hybrid system -- complete with limited EV at low speed and battery assist at high speed. It looks like it has many of the benefits of HSD but with the ability to tow heavy things. I hope GM succeeds in this endeavor. Just don't wast 2-mode on Pontiacs, ha ha!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

hmmm, looks interesting, but I still have major ill will toward GM for killing the EV1. I dont know that I would ever again trust GM based upon that blunder.

I think I am never ever again going to purchase a vehicle from them, and I have owned several in the past including my current minivan.

Some may criticize me for making this statement, but they made their bed, new they have to lay in it.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Engineering first
Question Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Hi,

. . .
For Martin: I finally got to look at GM's 2-mode hybrid page. It definately looks like a real hybrid system -- complete with limited EV at low speed and battery assist at high speed. It looks like it has many of the benefits of HSD but with the ability to tow heavy things. I hope GM succeeds in this endeavor. . . .
Have you found any more detailed schematics of the part?

The earlier sketches and cut-aways appeared to show what looks like a light-duty, hydraulic torque converter. Is there one on the flywheel / engine shaft end?

Bob Wilson

Old 01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

Have you found any more detailed schematics of the part?

The earlier sketches and cut-aways appeared to show what looks like a light-duty, hydraulic torque converter. Is there one on the flywheel / engine shaft end?

Bob Wilson

Unfortunately, the consumer page at GM isn't an engineering site. But it looks like the transmission contains two electric motors for pushing the truck. I think the front end of the transmission can disengage from the ICE under certain circumstances. Likewise, it looks like the electric motors can also completely disengage as needed. My take on it was that it was a pretty solid system.

If you were going to create a "hybrid scale" of 1-10 (for how "hybridy" a vehicle is), where "1" is a Silverado and "10" is a Volt, here's how I'd rate a 2-mode vehicle:

10: Volt
8: HSD
7: 2-Mode
5: IMA-II
4: IMA
2: BAS
1: FAS

So if GM makes Volts and 2-Modes, they'll be real contenders in the hybrid market!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Energy Independence

Martin... cool as a cucumber
On THIS site (with a natural bias against big iron), it's very impressive.
I'm really glad you hang out here to provide the flip-side of the coin.

I like the Volt concept a lot. I worry a little about that long driving range, though, because it means the battery would be depleted (at least down to the low threshold) at the outset of petro-usage. I'd be concerned about the long-term battery life. Maybe with tightly controlled electronics monitoring the SOC, it would be as good as the current HSD and IMA technology.

I'm hoping for the best, and would give one a shot. I WOULD wait until they've been in the public's hands for a model year first. Get a few of those 1st-year bugs out. I've seen a number of them on the second generation HCH, so I'd be cautious about a brand new design , especially one as unique as the concepts in the Volt.

And folks, remember it wasn't ONLY GM's fault for letting the EV1 die. Count California's CARB as a major player in allowing that to occur. There were many entities to share the blame.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands