General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
The problems with H2 are more cost than practicality.

H2 works great, but admittedly there are still water management issues in freezing temps. I worked for a couple years with several fuel cel companies on R&D project and I am convinced that the products work. However, the most practical source of H2 is still reformation of petroleum. This process will be really costly for many many years to come. That is the biggest obstacle.

The fuel cells are actually pretty cool technology.

I still am convinced that electric cars (even those powered by electricity from dirty coal fired power plants) has much lower total emmissions when compared to the best IC engines.
I saw my first working fuel cell last year at trade show. It was small (about the size of a briefcase), but it worked! Very impressive. It generated 7-8 amps @ 14VDC, twenty-four hours per day! It consumed approx. one gallon of meth-alcohol/week (and generated power, heat, and a cup of water with ZERO emissions), but the biggest problem seemed to be the necessity of changing out the membrane once per year (expensive!).

I have faith...the technology is still very young.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Kraken
I saw my first working fuel cell last year at trade show. It was small (about the size of a briefcase), but it worked! Very impressive. It generated 7-8 amps @ 14VDC, twenty-four hours per day! It consumed approx. one gallon of meth-alcohol/week (and generated power, heat, and a cup of water with ZERO emissions), but the biggest problem seemed to be the necessity of changing out the membrane once per year (expensive!).
That would be a great, laptop battery substitute . . . if it ever shows up at CompUSA or any of the computer outlets. Laptop power is one area that is relatively immune to cost considerations yet, there are no fuel cells on the shelves.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Proud to be GM

I just dont accept that the lack of gov't commitment for infrastructure was the reason the EV1 was killed. If you could plug it in at home, why do you need the infrastructure?

That's the point. You CANNOT plug it in at home UNLESS you have the SPECIAL CHARGING STATION that GM provided lessees. There is / was a special inductive charging device that looks like a ping pong paddle with an extension cord that provided the connection from the charging station to the car. If you went on a trip that was a little further than half the charge life of the vehicle and couldn't make it back home before your charge ran out, you're screwed. Now, it very well could be that some of the later vehicles had a different arrangement, but every EV-1 I ever drove had the inductive charging paddle set-up. To make the EV-1 viable as more than just a short range commuter car would require SOMEONE to set up inductive charging stations where drivers could conveniently recharge. That is not mainstream business for any automaker. California originally committed to the concept on some level and never followed through.

The EV1 was intended for short distance commuting. That would work perfect for most people since like over 80% of people drive less than the range of the EV1 every day, and with new better batteries the range would be well over 100 miles.
And what does that 80% of the population do the first time they need to make an out of state trip? Remember, there are no charging stations between hither and yon.

Peace,

Martin

Last edited by martinjlm; 01-18-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added photo of EV-1 being charged
Old 01-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by azwildbill2
Martin -

I do have a question regarding your statement about the lack of infrastructure. I have never read or saw anything stating that was the reason the car was pulled. All I have heard or read was GM stated there was no interest. I'm just curious why this was never brought up.
As a company, GM has chosen not to whine about California's behavior on this issue. GM does, after all, still have to work with CARB on a number of fronts. Bottom line, you pick the hill you're willing to die on, and for GM, this one ain't it. I, on the other hand, in my role as NOT BEING THE SPOKESPERSON FOR GM..... am free to whine when appropriate

Originally Posted by azwildbill2
Also, GM is moving forward with Hydrogen with no infrastructure in place or planned. Just curious, though I do hope the Volt becomes a reality.
GM is moving forward with Hydrogen development with a clear understanding that one of the enablers to eventually reaching production is practical and affordable onboard hydrogen storage. Another enabler is a supporting infrastructure.

Peace,

Martin

Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by martinjlm
That's the point. You CANNOT plug it in at home UNLESS you have the SPECIAL CHARGING STATION that GM provided lessees.
So get the special charging station. Why is that an overwhelming obstacle?

And what does that 80% of the population do the first time they need to make an out of state trip?
Use their other vehicle. Since the vast majority of households have 2 cars, one of those cars could easily be an EV1.

Are these issues really that complex?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

As a company, GM has chosen not to whine about California's behavior on this issue.
Of course they did not whine. They were campaigning with CARB to kill this program from inception.

GM is moving forward with Hydrogen development with a clear understanding that one of the enablers to eventually reaching production is practical and affordable onboard hydrogen storage. Another enabler is a supporting infrastructure.
The conversion of petroleum to H2 is far more polluting expensive and inefficient when compared to the EV1 philosophy. And the recharging infrastructure is considerably less challenging than H2 infrastructure.

For goodness sakes the charging infrastructure for the EV1 consisted of a special box that plugged into your home outlet. This is about as simple as it gets, but I get the feeling that some find this simple concept overly complex

Old 01-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

Incidentally H2 cars will use alot more fossil fuels compared to the EV1 so they have much more support from Big Oil and uncle George.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Incidentally H2 cars will use alot more fossil fuels compared to the EV1 so they have much more support from Big Oil and uncle George.
That all depends on what is used to produce the hydrogen. It could be a renewable or fossil fuel source. The same applies to the EVs - the power plants charging it could also be wind or coal.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think the Volt is the best of both worlds, it carries its own generator if needed. Per the Volt site, it seems it can be charged using a common household outlet. If this is the case, then businesses, (Restaurants, Places of Interest) could probably add additional "charging outlets" for a fee of course if needed to recharge. In the SW Solar is so abundant, maybe solar stations could be set up or Wind Power ones like in Palm Springs to generate the power for some of the stations. I think there are many options available.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Proud to be GM

So get the special charging station. Why is that an overwhelming obstacle?

Use their other vehicle. Since the vast majority of households have 2 cars, one of those cars could easily be an EV1.

Are these issues really that complex?
That logic should stand on its own, so I'll just let it be. You win.

Peace,

Martin

Speaking of LOGIC - Delta Flyer.....Love your new tag line. Wish I had thought of it first.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands