Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Today was not such a great day.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Today was not such a great day.

Today, all day I was running behind.
The kids got home late from school which made me behind as well.

I was trying to avoid leaving home for work late but just couldn't get it together fast enough then the wife called and asked for a favor, taking more time.
I was about to rush out the door when my son said:
"Dad, the kitchen floor is flooding"

Sure enough the ice maker sprung a leak. After turning off the water and sopping up the puddle I rushed out the door.

Alas!
My passenger front tire must have picked up a nail or something and was really low.
After a few more minutes I had that pumped back up, jumped in and on my way.
No time for my MPG friendly highway. I had to go for the fast moving 70MPH freeway.
Once on the freeway I noticed a strong, steady headwind. Great.
Forgive me for taking such extreme measures but I was hot and just tired of it all and set the climate control to full auto and 72.
(I say forgive me in jest)

After 22 miles I noticed only low 40's MPG then the storm front hit for the rest of the trip. (Another 25 miles).
This slow moving storm poured sheets of water from the sky and traffic moved to a crawl.
Lightning struck something a few thousand feet from the road and everyone stopped. Wonder why they do that.

In the end I parked at only 46.2MPG which is 20MPG less than my goal.
This has made my tank goal unreachable (But I'll attempt to catch up)

Today was not a better day.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 08-18-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Today was not such a great day.

Full auto!! Are you craa-z man!

Sorry to hear about you tuff day. Once I've blown a tank I'm happy just keeping it slightly above the lifetime average. Nice to have AC and whatnot every once in a while.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:15 PM

Hi Hot_Georgia_2004:

___We all have days like that unfortunately Mine came just 3 days ago … I left for work on Monday with 40 minutes spare over my normal commute time. I hit a 10 mile traffic jam at 01:15 in the afternoon! 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to O’Hare because of a toll-booth reconstruction which is usually less then 30 minutes. Oh boy, I had to crank it up. 75 + down the tollways when there was a clearing and right back down to 55 - 65 when in heavier traffic in the far left lanes. She is good for 30 mpg at 80 mph in case anyone wants to know … I had started that commute out with a nice 50.4 mpg showing on the TC and ended with a totally incomprehensible 48.5 mpg and this was on a tank with > 500 miles on it To make matters worse, I was still 2 minutes late through the gate and was written up for it

___Over the past 2 days, I brought her back up and she just ticked from 50.0 to 50.4 on the TC as I was rounding the last turn to my home in a very fast FAS early this morning.

___Days like these happen every once in a while and getting out of bed was the exact wrong thing to do

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Hi Hot_Georgia_2004:

___And I am sure you went through the exact same thing … Not having the ability to perform a FAS because it would cost you 45 seconds when you are at 75 + and 1.2 miles of clear road ahead to a stop sign at the top of an off-ramp. That is about the worst feeling a hypermiler could have

___I feel for you and I will send my condolences to your HCH’s current tank once it’s finally finished

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 08-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Weird

I woke up late and had to drive fast to work today too. Instead of 40-45 mph I went 65-70 mph but the mileage IMC is getting stayed exactly the same. Guess why?

Old 08-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xcel
I hit a 10 mile traffic jam at 01:15 in the afternoon! 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to O’Hare because of a toll-booth reconstruction which is usually less then 30 minutes.
I too got stuck in that Chicago construction traffic while passing through on Sunday and Monday. Both times it cost about an hour.

All that flat land in the region must be extremely nice though!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:05 PM

Hi Lakedude:

___I think know why? Was it the Vette or something a bit more akin to high speed hypermiling? I sure wish those guys were traveling at 75 + on Monday here in Chicago

___Romir, if there is one saving grace about living near Chicago, it is our relatively flat roadways and decent speed limits near the city (55 mph except for the 65 mph for 25 + miles to the south). The traffic can get absolutely stupid however and sometimes when you least expect it. I was in a 10 mile crawler because of .25 miles of Interstate fixes the other night and it was 01:00 in the morning!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 08-18-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I cheated and took the truck.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
After 22 miles I noticed only low 40's MPG then the storm front hit for the rest of the trip. (Another 25 miles).
This slow moving storm poured sheets of water from the sky and traffic moved to a crawl.
Lightning struck something a few thousand feet from the road and everyone stopped. Wonder why they do that.

In the end I parked at only 46.2MPG which is 20MPG less than my goal.
This has made my tank goal unreachable (But I'll attempt to catch up)

Today was not a better day.
Look at the bright side, even with all the mishaps you still did better than Consumer Reports and MSNBC!Kevin

Old 08-18-2005, 06:45 PM

Hi Texashchman:
Originally Posted by texashchman
Look at the bright side, even with all the mishaps you still did better than Consumer Reports and MSNBC!Kevin
___Now that is funny

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes