Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

If you drive your hybrid for better mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Jason,
Auto stop is the fact that hybrids shut down when the engine is not needed. I just think about the waste in heavy trtaffic areas of all the cars just idling but not going anywhere.

Wayne,
We are in the mid 50's on the 04 and yes its the family car which my wife drives mostly. I will be heading back Friday this week so we will see what the 01 ends up with for mpg. It still shows half a tank. Have fun, Rick

Old 04-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Rick:

___I just finished up typing a post about Autostop and you posted it for me

___How are you doing in training the wife for better fuel economy? I was speaking with the Alexander’s at the Miller Park Group meet in Milwaukee and both are committed for higher fuel economy driving. My wife and kids on the other hand could give a ****. What or how are you coaxing her into doing her part in the 04 Prius?

___I wouldn’t dare let the wife drive the Insight (she can barely drive a stick as it is thank goodness) knowing full well it would come back with a segment run in the high 30’s or something similarly ridiculous

___This should be a topic all on its own but since it was sort of headed that way, I thought I would ask?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast

Wayne,
She is getting into the act. It started out with me driving the car and commenting that I raised the tank average by .x mpg. After a while she started doing the same. I figure we will do fairly well if we keep raising the tank average each time it is driven. Too bad theres no segment meter or multiple trip meters. Have fun, Rick

Old 04-28-2004, 04:15 PM

have you tried teaching her xcel? anyway, im telling you, sell the MDX and buy a Highlander Hybrid ....maybe the gauges would make it more fun for her.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 PM

Hi Stevo12886:

___She hates the game gauge active in the MDX as it is!

___No, I wouldn’t trade the X for a Highlander. It is much smaller and has far fewer amenities for the price. The MDX has been a ULEV-2 for 2 years whereas the Highlander will be just one notch above at SULEV … I can kill EPA estimates in it already whereas the Corolla is a bit tougher and the Highlander Hybrid might be a bit tougher yet given the ICE they plan on using in it …

___For awhile, I had her thinking about better fuel economy and she actually just eeked out slightly better then an EPA estimate on a trip down to see our son at the U of I once as well as beating EPA for all city a few times but that lasted about 2 months and she went right back to her old habits

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net