Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default fuel consumption

I just bought a new 2009 TCH. I just filled up gas for the first time.
I was not that impressed with the mileage I got.
First tank of gas was 700km.
Does it get better as the vehicle gets broken in or is it a matter of driving habits.
I need somebodys' input, desperate

Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: fuel consumption

It *may* get better as the vehicle gets broken in, but it's mostly the driver that needs to get broken in. You can't just get in and drive (with many of our same old habits) and miraculously expect great fuel economy.

But first - ignore that first tank - it may not have been a truly full one, and the car may have sat idling for far too long at the dealr lot. Fill'er up, and keep track of how many miles you drive until the next fill-up. Record the gallons or liters used to fill up, and do the math to actually calculate your fuel economy.

Read up on how to get good fuel economy. The basic ones you probably already know but may not do regularly:
(1) SLOW DOWN.
(2) Anticipate stoppage ahead and coast to a stop.
(3) No jack-rabbit starts.
(4) Leave enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you that you can absorb minor fluctuations in speed without having to speed up and slow down. Acceleration is the enemy.
(5) TIP - drive as though your brakes have failed. If you use them a lot, that means you're likey slowing down and speeding up unnecessarily - and wasting gas.

Report back to us, and welcome to GreenHybrid!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tpaz
I just bought a new 2009 TCH. I just filled up gas for the first time.
I was not that impressed with the mileage I got.
First tank of gas was 700km.
Does it get better as the vehicle gets broken in or is it a matter of driving habits.
I need somebodys' input, desperate
My first tank was 39 MPG. I nearly turned around to take it back but I realized this car has a different architecture. So I started to study the car; learn the systems; and learn the control laws. When you start driving it like a hybrid, which is very very similar to an ordinary car, it will reward you. Also maintenance is very important:

1) oil level - above or below the "F" ... anything over "F" is bad and usually a little under works best.
2) tire pressures - the closer you can get to "maximum sidewall," the better

You need to learn the threshold speed between engine-off and engine-must-be-on. You'll find that when you can, staying below that speed works great! If you must go faster, then you'll need to map MPG vs SPEED to figure out if there is a 'knee in the curve.'

Heat management is very important and a block heater and radiator blocks are a very, very good idea in cool weather. You don't want the engine to run just to maintain coolant heat.

That is my short list but you really need to ask the folks in the Toyota Camry Hybrid forum. They would be your best experts.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Tpaz,

Don't feel bad, mine were not to great to start with either. Things to remember.

1) There are 4 "stages" to how this car works. Stage 1: the engine will run all of the time. This occurs when the engine is cold and is trying to get up to operating temperature. Stage 2: Engine is almost warmed up and will autostop at a redlight after 3 seconds or so (just barely better than stage 1).

Stage 3: Engine completely warmed up and will enter EV mode between the speeds of (roughly) 35 and 40 mph. Once you have this situation, if you come to a complete stop, the car will auto stop after 7 seconds. Congrats, you are now in "stage 4". The car will freely enter EV anytime you back off of the gas just a little on flat or downhill roads as long as your speed is less than 40 mph.

The car will run above 40 mph (mine will hit 43) before the ice engine is cranked to prevent an overspeed on MG1. Anything under your limit speed will allow the car to run on the battery until the ICE is cranked to re-charge it (or you hit the "go" pedal and force an ICE engine start).

2) Slow down and try to run the limit or just under when you can (as noted above).

3) Inflate your tires as noted above (see Bob's post above).

4) Keep trying. Ask questions. Read some of the past posts on the Camry forum.

5) People have been able to go 700 miles with their TCH so I know you can do better than 700 km after a period of time.

6) Cold weather will kill your mileage. It kills a normal cars mileage also but people don't tend to look at them as close as their new hybrid.....

Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Engineering first

Good morning Victor,

I see you are new to GreenHybrid. You might consider introducing yourself to the community rather than trying to compress everything into a longish signature. For example, what type of ride do you have? What part of the country? We have a forum for introductions.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson