Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

can someone tell me why my hch is getting bad mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default can someone tell me why my hch is getting bad mpg?

So I bought a 2007 hch and it was seemingly in good condition. Iv driven to and from work as well as to my fiances house which is 50 miles round trip. Upon doing measurements of my fuel economy as well as practicing hyper miling procedures and also accelerating slower off the line the mas mpg I'm getting is 33mpg and I can't get it past that. Why did I spend all of that extra mileage if I was going to get the exact same mileage as a normal civic. The dealership did a mileage test but they weren't willing to tell me there results only that it fell within expected mileage of the car. Can someone point me in the right direction. Also my tires are optimal and I'm not spending a lot of time idoling. I just need some direction I'm dissapointed that this car can't get even close to its rating.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: can someone tell me why my hch is getting bad mpg?

Opps, I don't know why but I was so tired with I got home. Somehow I had your posting confused with another vehicle ... eyes akimbo. I've had a nap and Eric is right.

My apologies.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-17-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Think green.

Bob, I think hch2007owner is referring to the Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH).

Perhaps the owner lives in an area where the weather is very cold right now. We've had very low temperatures here this past month, and my HCH averaged 34 mpg for that most recent tank. Short trips in cold weather are a double-blow to one's mpg average as well.
Last winter I deliberately took some longer highway trips to see if it was trip distance that was dragging down my mpg's and for that tank in the dead of winter the car got 47.2 mpg.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Contributor ($)

hch2007owner,
What state do you live in? If you live in a cold weather state, right now it would be very difficult to get near the EPA ratings. I am certain that non-hybrid vehicles are taking gas-mileage hits with the low temps as well. Of course their owners may not realize it, since they do not have MPG gauges looking them in the face every time they drive their cars.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hch2007owner
So I bought a 2007 hch and it was seemingly in good condition. I've driven to and from work as well as to my finance's house which is 50 miles round trip. Upon doing measurements of my fuel economy as well as practicing hyper miling procedures and also accelerating slower off the line the mas mpg I'm getting is 33mpg and I can't get it past that. Why did I spend all of that extra mileage if I was going to get the exact same mileage as a normal civic. The dealership did a mileage test but they weren't willing to tell me there results only that it fell within expected mileage of the car. Can someone point me in the right direction. Also my tires are optimal and I'm not spending a lot of time idling. I just need some direction I'm disappointed that this car can't get even close to its rating.
If it is warm where you live, your car is not performing very well and you might get it looked at.

If it is cold where you live, your car is most likely fine and it will get much better mileage in the summer.

Finally, you might want to proof read your post as it is a bit hard to read...

FireFox has built in spell check which I find quite helpful as my own unassisted spelling is awful:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was told of this article a few weeks ago. .

The Honda Civic Hybrid FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

ks