I Bought a Fusion Today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I Bought a Fusion Today!

I picked up my FFH this morning. It was in dealer stock, and is silver with the 502A package. I got about $500 off MSRP and did not pay a dealer's fee.

When you turn off the vehicle, the dash displays a trip summary. I got 46.2 mpg over the 12 mile trip to work from the dealership. I wasn't running the A/C.

I will have to work hard to pay attention to traffic, as I am easily distracted by all the colorful displays. I was easily able to "Sync" my iPhone, and my phone book was transferred in seconds.

I had a 2007 Camry Hybrid. If I recall correctly, the Fusion handles better, but does not have as smooth a ride. (I will have to edit my signature.)

I am looking forward to my drive home from work!

Ormond

Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Default Re: I Bought a Fusion Today!

Didn't even realize these were out yet. Please continue to post impressions vs your Camry Hybrid. The regular Fusion is EPA-rated worse than the regular Camry as far as I remember so it's interesting the hybrid appears so much more fuel-efficient. Have you ridden an Altima hybrid?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Didn't even realize these were out yet. Please continue to post impressions vs your Camry Hybrid. The regular Fusion is EPA-rated worse than the regular Camry as far as I remember so it's interesting the hybrid appears so much more fuel-efficient. Have you ridden an Altima hybrid?
The 2010 Fusion beats them all hands down!

"Fuel-efficient and more powerful powertrain lineup
Both the inline four-cylinder and V-6 engines are upgraded for both improved fuel economy and power. The standard Fusion S model equipped with Ford’s new 2.5-liter I-4 engine is expected to deliver at least a 6 mpg improvement versus the 2009 model on the highway, resulting in fuel economy that is at least 3 mpg better than the Honda Accord and 2 mpg better than the Toyota Camry.
The 2.5-liter I-4 engine horsepower and torque also have been improved from the car’s outgoing 2.3-liter 4-cylinger engine, jumping to 175 hp and 172 ft.-lbs. of torque from the previous 160 hp and 156 ft-lbs. As a result, 0-60 performance improves by more than a second, now topping Camry and Accord."
http://www.autospectator.com/cars/mo...-fusion-hybrid

GaryG

Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Been in a cave lately? The FFH has been in showrooms for a couple a weeks (in some places at least) and all over the web for months.

The Fusion beats the Camry throughout its entire line on fuel economy. And the FFH crushes the Toyota sedan. I can't wait until mine comes in.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Contributor ($)

Congrats on the new ride. It seems like Ford has done a great job with that hybrid!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Last night, according to the trip computer, I got 45.6 mpg on my way home from work. The trip is all city driving with a maximum speed limit of 35 mph. I will be happy if I can meet the EPA ratings. My lifetime average is slowly rising--I didn't reset it after buying the car.

I have never driven an Altima Hybrid, so I cannot compare the two. The Camry has a bit more room.

The electronic features are overwhelming. I have to research the Microsoft Sync features. Recording an album to the hard drive is slower than in my prior car, but there may be a quality setting. Even the album cover was transferred! There is a learning curve with the car, but that is part of the enjoyment for me.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Re: I Bought a Fusion Today!

A photo of the trip summary that displays when you turn off the vehicle.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:53 PM

That's a nice gauge Ormond. My lifetime MPG is over 48mpg now and growing. I took my mileage from the beginning also from the factory and I ate all the starts-ups and testing during the first 5 miles before delivery to me. It worked out to be a little over 38mpg for the first tank, but my lifetime mileage is as true as it gets. It should not be long till I get to a lifetime average of 50mpg in my '09 FEH, but the summer heat may change all that.

Do you have a Scangauge? With a SGII you can also improve your driving techniques to get even better MPG. I'd like to see the FFH holding a much higher lifetime MPG than what I'm getting in my FEH and if I can help you and others here I will. My '09 FEH is EPA rated at 31/34mpg so you can see what's possible in your FFH with a similar drivetrain.

GaryG

Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Gary,

I don't have the SGII. My display said that I got 54.6 mpg on my 8 mile trip to work this morning, so my lifetime mpg is rising. I haven't been running the AC, but it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

I am looking forward to putting more mileage on the car, and seeing what I can achieve.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ormond
Gary,

I don't have the SGII. My display said that I got 54.6 mpg on my 8 mile trip to work this morning, so my lifetime mpg is rising. I haven't been running the AC, but it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

I am looking forward to putting more mileage on the car, and seeing what I can achieve.
I hope your not surprised when you fill your tank like I was. My SG tank MPG was reading in the 50's and my Nav tank MPG was reading in the high 40's and I thought the Nav tank MPG was reading way to low to be right. Turned out my SG is reading over 13.5% high and the Nav tank MPG was reading 4% higher than the gas I could fill the tank with. As a result, I was driving my '09 FEH like a race car and thinking I was getting over 50mpg. The mileage logs don't lie because it uses gas pumped and the total miles traveled. I can't adjust the Nav Sys MPG so it will always be 4% higher than gas pumped. The SG can be adjusted and right now I have a 13.5% reduction from the default setting and it's still not enough. My present Nav tank MPG reading is 54.2mpg with about 500 miles on this tank. This puts my present real tank mileage at ~52.2mpg. My SG tank mileage presently reads 52.6mpg, so I'm getting close with a 13.5% adjustment.

Hopefully, Ford has solve the problem in the Smart Gauge and your getting the right MPG readings. If your pulling 54.6mpg with a car that's not broke-in and a driver that has never drove that drivetrain, you have a lot to look forward too.

GaryG