What's the most miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
jnr
Enthusiast
Question What's the most miles?

I'm having an arugument with a friend (me defending hybrids) and I need some help. What is the furtherest in miles anyone has ever been able to drive without the ICE engaging?

I live in a hilly area so my experience is not the best to convince him. He believes it is impossible for today's hybrids to ever drive more that 10 miles or so purely on electric power. I believe he's wrong. Can anyone help me out here?

Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Default Re: What's the most miles?

The FEH can only go 1.5 miles on a fully charged battery. If you accelerate in EV and coast in Neutral, I would say at most, three miles on a full battery before the ICE starts and begins to recharge the battery. You would have to have a long downhill to get over three miles and I would not consider that a true estimate.

GaryG

Old 05-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What's his point? Remind him of the fuel economy improvements over a gasoline-only vehicle, and the fact that it drives and is maintained nearly identically to a gasoline-only vehicle. Compare that to a plug-in, electric only vehicle whose range will be limited by its access to a power plug and the efficiency of its battery to charge quickly.

Both types of vehicles -- plug-in electric and gasoline-electric hybrids -- have their place. Your friend just sounds like s/he's trying to be a contrarian.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

For the FEH 1.5 to 2.0 miles is the average Electric Only miles between charges.

Under ideal conditions, I have gone 3.6 miles in stop and go residential driving, at speeds 25 MPH and under. But that's more than typical.

Here's the kicker, distance is not that important.

The FEH will go 2 miles off battery followed by 2 miles off gas, followed by 2 miles off battery, repeat.
So up to 50% of your drivng can be "electric" under the right conditions.

During one hour of city drivng, I measured my gas engine was running for 14 minutes, or 22% of the TIME. This saves HUGE amounts of gas.

You could tell your friend, you "could" go 350 miles off battery, with 350 miles off gas, per tank, under the right conditions.

-John

Old 05-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have had one three mile drive on EV. It included a slight hill with the speed limit of 35 which required slight braking (battery regen). There is one regular spot that I get at least a two mile EV, if the battery is full at the beginning of the run.