Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Lexus fan
Default Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

I have friends who have a 2005 Mercury Mariner (non hybrid). They were showing me the navigation and I was disappointed that the car had to be in PARK with the parking brake on to change the destination info on the NAV system.

Does the 2006 FEH or MMH have the same restriction? The Ford dealer I talked to said no, but I could not verify for my self.

Can someone chime in that has nav in their FEH and verify if this is the case?

I want to buy a FEH but will not if the Nav is stupid like that.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

For my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, as long as the car is not moving you can change the destinations. I practiced using the **** as fast as I can and I'm able to search and change a destination when there is a 30 seconds red light.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

You can clip a wire and fool the NAV system into thinking the vehicle's stopped, but (don't quote me on this -- I haven't, and won't, do this to my '06 FEH) not remove the GPS's ability to get a fix on your location. I think it does remove the GPS's ability to extrapolite where you "ought to be" when a satellite fix cannot be obtained (eg. in tunnels, dense tree/building cover, parking garages, etc.), by using your current speed and direction of travel prior to Loss of Signal. No speed data = no basis for guess-timating your present location, until the satellite(s) signal is reacquired.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:30 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
You can clip a wire and fool the NAV system into thinking the vehicle's stopped, but (don't quote me on this -- I haven't, and won't, do this to my '06 FEH) not remove the GPS's ability to get a fix on your location. I think it does remove the GPS's ability to extrapolate where you "ought to be" when a satellite fix cannot be obtained (eg. in tunnels, dense tree/building cover, parking garages, etc.), by using your current speed and direction of travel prior to Loss of Signal. No speed data = no basis for guess-timating your present location, until the satellite(s) signal is reacquired.
HI - Check out the post at Getting to POI (and others) While Moving
I did a modification where you can access the Points of Interest and others while moving. I chronicled the modification (with photos) in post 2 there. It works great.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Here's the corrected URL VietVet was sharing (thank you!):
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ving.5214.html

Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Lexus fan

Does the CD player work when the GPS CD is in?

Also, what kind of Ipod hook ups are there that are easy to use?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ddolak
Does the CD player work when the GPS CD is in?
Yes, because the music CD's go in the 6-disc CD changer (located under the front passenger's seat) when a CD is loaded in the single in-dash CD player. I keep my Nav system's CD loaded at all times in the in-dash CD unit, and have my music CDs in the 6-disc CD changer.

You can play music from the in-dash CD player, but that would remove all or all but rudimentary GPS navigation capability because you'd have to remove the nav system's data CD.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You can access the address book when the vehicle is in motion, as well as your previous destinations, so you can change where you're going while you're on the go. You can't access the points of interest while the vehicle is moving.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Lexus fan

Oh, thats not that big a deal then. My friend's Mariner had it where they had to be parker and have E-brake on to even change the address or destination you were going to. I thought that was lame.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Being in park is not required. The FEH Nav uses speed sense to enable/disable. Not a perfect solution, but at least you can use the other features at a stop light. When you start moving it tells you that it is not available, but goes back to where you were as soon as you stop again.

There is a mod here on the site for switching this safety feature on and off if you like.

Quick Reply: Mariner and FEH Navigation/GPS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands