Upgrading sound system with NAV installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading sound system with NAV installed

Originally Posted by GatorJ
. While I had the door panels off I also installed Dynamat Extreme. I encountered no real issues during the install. I mounted the Boston tweeters in the factory sail panels using brackets.
Hey Gator,

I'm probably going to do the same thing shortly, did you use the Dynamat speaker kit or did you cover the whole door panel area with the mat??

Does the Dynamat have a strong odor?? I ask because my wife is VERY allergic to any kind of odd odors & she will go nuts if she smells the stuff.

I ask because I owned a retail stereo shop some years ago & we did fairly high end car stereo sales/installs & the sound deadening product we used at that time(I forget what it was)smelled very strong.

~John

Old 06-07-2006, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
Hey Gator,

I'm probably going to do the same thing shortly, did you use the Dynamat speaker kit or did you cover the whole door panel area with the mat??

Does the Dynamat have a strong odor?? I ask because my wife is VERY allergic to any kind of odd odors & she will go nuts if she smells the stuff.

I ask because I owned a retail stereo shop some years ago & we did fairly high end car stereo sales/installs & the sound deadening product we used at that time(I forget what it was)smelled very strong.

~John
I bought a box of sheets and then cut to fit....it cuts evry easily. There is a slight asphalt odor that lasts 2-3 days and then is gone forever, even in the strong Florida sun.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

Got a call from Ford today - they said the stereo system with NAV is very specific since it also integrates with the HYBRID electronics. Changing the speakers is OK but messing around with the head unit is not recommended.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 AM

I'm surprised they even said that it was OK to change the speakers!

Last edited by Tim K; 06-10-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, definitely a problem if you mess with the head unit. I tried plugging in a PIE-POD into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit and the Fuel Economy and Battery display stopped working. They are part of that wiring.

The online store I ordered the PIE-POD from sent the wrong one so I tried it in the back of the head unit to see if it would still work. It worked but the Fuel Economy and Battery display quit workin. I had the store send me the correct one that plugs into the CD changer cable under the passenger seat and all is okay now.