Toad Brake for the FEH

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Toad Brake for the FEH

AlanE: Not sure which model the Brake Buddy "Classic" is. My Brake Buddy is 12 years old and still functions great. As far as I know, any model Brake Buddy should work as long as you can set the pressure of the plunger pressing on the brake pedal to a low setting (10 - 15 Lbs - - due to the fact that the power brakes are always energized, even when the key is in the "Off" position).

Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
Willard, you're missing my point. Your idea for charging the battery just isn't worth the wear and tear of having the ICE turn while being towed (toad). I can tell you that even when going down a steep mountain above 40MPH in the FEH, in Drive with the switch on, the ICE has to spin. This has to do with the RPM limitations of the motors in the CVT and how the planetary gear works. Take a look at the PSD diagram on this page: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ and you'll see that the Prius requires ICE RPM when speed exceeds 42MPG.

Beside, in your scenario, mileage will be, most definitely, added to the odometer. A side effect I'm sure almost every person towing would wish to avoid.
Something must be wrong with the eahart PSD diagram/simulation/model as I'm quite sure that at least one of the MG's in the Prius was upgraded to 18,000 RPM vs the old value of 15,000 RPM.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM

OK, so they may have upgraded the RPM limits for the Prius. That doesn't change the FEH in any way and doesn't change any of the issues I've pointed out with your scenario.

Bottom line is your scenario has way too many negatives vs. the positives. I try to be judicious with my replies but this time you're way off base with your suggestion regarding leaving the key on and eCVT in Drive while towing a FEH.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM

But it dos likely mean the FEH has an MG that turns up to 15,000 RPM....

Old 01-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Enthusiast

I've been researching the use of the "Classic" Brake Buddy with the FEH and it appears that it can't be used safely. I'm shopping myself for a nice used '09-10 FEH and will need a brake system for toad use. I emailed BB yesterday and they told me you must have the later "Boost" style which runs at a much lower air pressure. The orig unit won't work properly under 20 psi according to them. I'm still researching but it looks like I may sell my old BB and install the Ready Brake system, which is under $400 and has no electrical connections.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM

On the FEH is the DBW brake even enabled with the "key" off. And even were it enabled how many brake application before the battery is exhausted..?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

From what I've read, the brakes are active w/ key on or off. Don't know how many applications would drain it, but I don't think you want to run the battery down that low anyway. I emailed Brake Buddy last night to ask if pulling a fuse would disconnect the electric booster and allow the use of the old BB...haven't heard back yet, but I'm betting it won't work. I don't know if there are any brakes at all with the booster disconnected, maybe someone in this group can answer. I have read posts on the rv.net forum from members using the old BB with pressure set low and it works fine, but I don't know if I'll do that.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM

What I do know is that with normal brake operation when you use the brake lightly ALL hydraulic pressure is BLOCKED from flowing to the brake pistons/calipers. Priority is given to regen braking and so brake fluid hydraulic pressure/flow is only enabled to the pistons/calipers if :

A) More braking effort is required than can be provided via regen.
B) F/R braking differential becomes too great...there's NO rear braking with regen.
C) A wheel's rotation rate declines so rapidly under regen braking that it might begin to slip/skid.
D) And I suppose there might be a case wherein the hybrid battery is FULL.