Toad Brake for the FEH

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Toad Brake for the FEH

Hi, I have a 2008 FEH, that I tow with 4 wheels down behind my RV. I am interested in a system that will activate the FEH brakes when I am appying the brakes in the RV. (referred to as a "Toad" Brake) Has anyone had a system installed in their FEH?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Toad Brake for the FEH

Wow.....the braking system, possibly the most complex, 100% computer controlled system on the FEH..........unless someone has invested a boat-load of engineering, or Ford built the 'toad' capability into the software from the start.........I would say......

.........good luck with that.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Toad Brake for the FEH

a) Since the RV is many times heavier, I don't see any need for this.
b) I don't see how you would do this in a normal car
c) I think this is much more complicated for a hybrid

Since the engine is not running in either a regular car, or hybrid, the only brake you could apply really, is the parking brake, which is small and pretty weak to begin with. Do regular "toad" vehicles have an electric brake fluid pressure accumulator or something?

Sounds so totally not needed!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Question Re: Toad Brake for the FEH

Ken- did you mean "apply the brake lights?"

That is doable and recommended. Maybe you mis-typed?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

I currently tow a 2008 MMH behind my motorhome and have used a portable braking system called the "Brake Buddy" for over 10 years on 4 different towed vehicles. There are many different types of braking sytems for toads. I would suggest that you post your question on this forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/31.cfm

Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

John, not just the brake lights, but the FEH brakes also. Many state require that the "Toad" brakes be applied whenever the RV brakes are applied. Also, in event that the "Toad" breaks free, the "Toad" brakes are applied automatically. In the past, I towed a 3500# vehicle without problem, but I can really feel the difference in stopping distance when towing the FEH, the extra weight makes a big difference.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:30 PM

The FEH without cargo weighs ~ 3850 pounds.

Most states require "trailer brakes" on trailers over 3500 pounds.
Is this case considered a trailer? ( I guess it is, but never really thought about it... )

Increased stopping distance, sure, but BIG difference???
I suspect that big is in the eye of the beholder.
Most people I see tow something behind a motorhome... car, boat, something... I say do what "most" people do.

I don't own a motorhome, sorry. But I've never heard of anyone hooking up the FEH brakes to a motorhome in 4.5 years. I've heard of 2 or 3 others who tow it 4 down though.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:31 PM
MAB
Enthusiast

As has been mentioned, there are a few good reasons why you do want to have brakes on your toad. Laws would be one good reason, as the vehicle is in essence a trailer when it is a toad. Having working brake lights is another, and of course the main reason would be to allow the toad to brake itself to a stop safely in case of it coming uncoupled from the tow vehicle. Shortening the stopping distance of the tow vehicle / toad combination is probably the least critical reason, given the relative weight ratio of most common RV tow vehicles & toad combinations.

Lights are the easiest problem to solve, they can be done with add-on magnetic tow lights like those used by professional tow trucks. But most RVers want something more permanent, less add-on as it's just another thing to have to hook up when preparing to tow. There are numerous systems that integrate tow vehicle lights with toad lights. Some work by wiring into the toad brake light circuits and activate them just like any other trailer brake and turn signal light. Others work by adding in a second, duplicate trailer brake light system by actually drilling holes in the taillight housings and inserting a second bulb that is part of the trailer brake light system.

For brakes, you can use something like the Brake Buddy mentioned, which in essence is a robotic leg that presses on the toad brake pedal and works like surge brakes on a trailer. This is a relatively easy system to install. Other systems integrate with the toad brake system more directly, but these are much more complex systems and take more effort to install.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Toad Brake for the FEH

I suppose if you have the key "on" and the transmission selector in "N" (which disables the regen braking) and a robotic leg that depresses the brake pedal......that may engage the hydraulic brakes.....but there may be other aspects to take care of (steering, etc.) ???? Be careful.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Enthusiast

Actually you leave the key in the "off" position and the transmission selector in "N" while towing. Since the power brakes are always activated, even when the engine is not running on the FEH/MMH, it takes very little pressure (about 10 lbs) on the brake pedal to provide adequate braking when activated by the sudden deceleration of the motorhome. (Mild deceleration of the motorhome will not activate the toad braking if the sensitivity of the "Brake Buddy" is set properly.)

I have towed vehicles 4 wheels down for 13 years and well over 100,000 miles with no problems whatsoever using this setup, which of course includes an appropriate tow bar (I use a Roadmaster Falcon rated at 5,000 lbs capacity). I have also had all my tow vehicles wired to provide appropriate lighting when needed (brake lighting, turn signals, etc.).

Quick Reply: Toad Brake for the FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands