TC and F/awd vehicles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Originally Posted by wptski
Can't seem to reply with your quote but I'm not sure which statement you think is wrong and your bold text sentence is confusing.

Here's a link to a site that explains a Open Differential; http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differ....htm/printable, scroll down to On Thin Ice.

Yeah, FWD with TC OFF won't move with one wheel off the ground and a AWD with three off the ground won't move either.

TC defaults to ON every time it's started.
Actually there quite a few AWD systems, mostly F/awd systems, that will not "move" with TC off and just one wheel having lost traction, the Toyota Sienna and Highlander and the Lexus RX330 series to name a few.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM

It's mentioned above to be on a '06 FEH and you have a '08 FEH, so you such have a switch too.

There is no Traction Control Switch on the 2005-07 FEH vehicles.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
There is no Traction Control Switch on the 2005-07 FEH vehicles.
You have to ask Bill Winney about that because in Post #42, he said that he turned off his TC when stuck in the snow. In Post #50 he says that he has a '06 FEH.

Or was that his Mustang Cobra that has TC????????

Hmm, I think that he was refering to the '01 Mustang Cobra which came with TC. So it looks no TC switch on FEH from '05-'08! How about the '09? How about the same in FE? That's a good idea to have the ability to switch TC OFF in those special cases.

Last edited by wptski; 06-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 PM

You have to ask Bill Winney about that because in Post #42, he said that he turned off his TC when stuck in the snow. In Post #50 he says that he has a '06 FEH.

Or was that his Mustang Cobra that has TC????????

Hmm, I think that he was refering to the '01 Mustang Cobra which came with TC. So it looks no TC switch on FEH from '05-'08! How about the '09? How about the same in FE? That's a good idea to have the ability to switch TC OFF in those special cases.
The '09 FEH is the only FEH to have a switch. My manual says this switch allows the system to be turned OFF in order for the engine to provide power to spin the wheels when stuck. The system will automatically returned to the ON position when the KEY is recycled or you manually turned the switch back ON.

GaryG

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
The '09 FEH is the only FEH to have a switch. My manual says this switch allows the system to be turned OFF in order for the engine to provide power to spin the wheels when stuck. The system will automatically returned to the ON position when the KEY is recycled or you manually turned the switch back ON.

GaryG
My '09 FE has the switch as well but wonder about the <'09 FE.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM

My '09 FE has the switch as well but wonder about the <'09 FE.
The earlier FE had RSC while us FEH owners waited for it until '09. I'm sure they also had the switch for the same reasons when equipped. I don't remember the exact year but my guess would be '06 was the year for RSC and the switches in the FE.

GaryG

Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Stevedebi,

I may not have seen all of this discussion since I recently added wptski to my ignore list. I just found his contributions counterproductive and lacking in knowledge.

I have one of those switches on my Mustang and I use it unfailingly on ice, snow & mud. If you've followed my contributions, I learned the hard way that the TC acts in opposition to the "limited slip" feature of the differential on my Mustang and at low speeds can, in fact, prevent the "limited slip" feature from actuating.

My house is about 5 miles back on a dirt road and when the rain has come the mud can be as slick as ice. I'll do some more homework on my '06 FEH. May take me a week or so since I have alot on my plate for the moment.

Remember the "limited slip" feature only kicks in when the wheel rpms are far enough apart while the TC seeks to keep a wheel from "spinning." If the setpoint where the TC kicks in is less than the rpm needed to actuate the "limited slip" feature of the axle, then, voila, it prevents the limited slip feature from actuating.

This is precisely what I observed on my Mustang and that's what I wrote about. The rest of the junk discussion on that line was just another person with an opinion. Like I said, I'll do some homework and see if I can shed some more light on this topic for the FEH.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Stevedebi,

I may not have seen all of this discussion since I recently added wptski to my ignore list. I just found his contributions counterproductive and lacking in knowledge.

I have one of those switches on my Mustang and I use it unfailingly on ice, snow & mud. If you've followed my contributions, I learned the hard way that the TC acts in opposition to the "limited slip" feature of the differential on my Mustang and at low speeds can, in fact, prevent the "limited slip" feature from actuating.

My house is about 5 miles back on a dirt road and when the rain has come the mud can be as slick as ice. I'll do some more homework on my '06 FEH. May take me a week or so since I have alot on my plate for the moment.

Remember the "limited slip" feature only kicks in when the wheel rpms are far enough apart while the TC seeks to keep a wheel from "spinning." If the setpoint where the TC kicks in is less than the rpm needed to actuate the "limited slip" feature of the axle, then, voila, it prevents the limited slip feature from actuating.

This is precisely what I observed on my Mustang and that's what I wrote about. The rest of the junk discussion on that line was just another person with an opinion. Like I said, I'll do some homework and see if I can shed some more light on this topic for the FEH.
Since you have me on your ignore list, you won't see this. I came to this forum looking for answers about the FE/FEH 4WD/AWD system. Met some oposition on that one also but for the most part, I was right about the SG-II reading. Lots of opinions on that thread too!!

I might be lacking in knowledge and have a opinion but what's wrong with that. This seems to be a forum like others full of opinions and some people that are just full of it! Gosh, some really touchy people here as they get all bent out of shape if you question or don't agree with what they said even if I'm wrong! Who cares? I don't care if somebody doesn't agree with me! All those opinions didn't bother me in the 4WD/SG-II thread. There seems to be issues about posting here if you don't have a FEH too!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Since you have me on your ignore list, you won't see this. I came to this forum looking for answers about the FE/FEH 4WD/AWD system. Met some oposition on that one also but for the most part, I was right about the SG-II reading. Lots of opinions on that thread too!!

I might be lacking in knowledge and have a opinion but what's wrong with that. This seems to be a forum like others full of opinions and some people that are just full of it! Gosh, some really touchy people here as they get all bent out of shape if you question or don't agree with what they said even if I'm wrong! Who cares? I don't care if somebody doesn't agree with me! All those opinions didn't bother me in the 4WD/SG-II thread. There seems to be issues about posting here if you don't have a FEH too!
Bill, I personally have enjoyed your post and information here and Blueoval.com but then again no one is on my ignore list. Anyone can put people on their ignore list but they don't have to post and try to insult that person by stating it in a post.

GaryG

Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Bill, I personally have enjoyed your post and information here and Blueoval.com but then again no one is on my ignore list. Anyone can put people on their ignore list but they don't have to post and try to insult that person by stating it in a post.

GaryG
Gary:

Thanks, I have never put anyone on my ignore list either. I might be wrong sometimes and I might be right sometimes but neither is a crime in my book.

Quick Reply: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands