TC and F/awd vehicles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Originally Posted by wptski
That's what my '09 FE says also! The '09 FE has RSC, TCS, ESC and RSC.
You are the second person that said that link doesn't work but it works for me!!
I'm running FireFox, are you using IE?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM

wptski,

A little courtesy goes a long way... try it.

I have a Mustang Cobra, Big engine TC, etc....

I got stuck against the curb one time on a gentle slope street covered with sheet ice, one wheel would grab but the other one spun and spun and spun. Took me 10 minutes to get out.

As I watched the engine and TC and wondered why the locking Differential wouldn't get me out I finally realized that the TC was reducing the engine and clamping the spinning wheel brakes.

When I added 2 & 2 and pushed the TC off switch I was out in a heartbeat because the wheel with traction could now get a purchase.

You could have asked the same question, as I see it it's fair enough to ask how one "knows" something, but the snottiness was uncalled for.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
My previous cars with TC have had a switch to turn it off. I can vouch from experience that it is used at slow speed; I have used it in snow from a standing start, and had the TC engage.
Your previous cars??? You have that option now, correct?

TC uses ABS up to 62mph after that only engine torque control is used or so I've read.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
wptski,

I got stuck against the curb one time on a gentle slope street covered with sheet ice, one wheel would grab but the other one spun and spun and spun. Took me 10 minutes to get out.

As I watched the engine and TC and wondered why the locking Differential wouldn't get me out I finally realized that the TC was reducing the engine and clamping the spinning wheel brakes.

When I added 2 & 2 and pushed the TC off switch I was out in a heartbeat because the wheel with traction could now get a purchase.

You could have asked the same question, as I see it it's fair enough to ask how one "knows" something, but the snottiness was uncalled for.
Hey, read what you said! At low speeds is what you wrote, not stuck at the curb. Being stuck isn't consdered low speed. The statement as written didn't make any sense at all.

I assume that the FE manual is like the FEH manual in many ways. It clearly states if your stuck in the snow you may need to disable TC to spin your way out.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:48 PM

wptski,

Many newer systems, Porsche for instance, are now using TC to simulate a rear LSD using 4 channel ABS and differential braking.

Your Mustang ABS may have been 3 channel in which case both rear wheels would be braked even if only one lost traction.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM

wptski,

You show your ignorance of things mechanical & how they interact with software systems...

The thing that kicks in a locking differential is a difference in the speed of one wheel versus the other greater than a set amount. On the other hand TC senses when a wheel is spinning above vehicle speed and applies the brake and or cuts the throttle back.

Whether one wheel is at zero and the other is at, say 50, or one wheel is at 50 and the other is at 100 makes little difference to a locking axle, it locks up when the difference in wheel speeds go to high. But if the TC senses the vehicle speed versus the high wheel & kicks in then the Locking axle won't lock.

You rarely ever need a locking axle to perform above "low" speed so the TC & the locking axle won't appear to interact in this realm. But you do need the locking feature to work when at "low" speed. As I see it zero qualifies as "low." If I have turned off the TC feature I re-engage it at about 10 mph. Purely a subjective number.

Give me a break, go try again. Snottiness does not become you.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM

wptski,

You show your ignorance of things mechanical & how they interact with software systems...

The thing that kicks in a locking differential is a difference in the speed of one wheel versus the other greater than a set amount. On the other hand TC senses when a wheel is spinning above vehicle speed and applies the brake and or cuts the throttle back.

Whether one wheel is at zero and the other is at, say 50, or one wheel is at 50 and the other is at 100 makes little difference to a locking axle, it locks up when the difference in wheel speeds go to high. But if the TC senses the vehicle speed versus the high wheel & kicks in then the Locking axle won't lock.

You rarely ever need a locking axle to perform above "low" speed so the TC & the locking axle won't appear to interact in this realm. But you do need the locking feature to work when at "low" speed. As I see it zero qualifies as "low." If I have turned off the TC feature I re-engage it at about 10 mph. Purely a subjective number.

Bill,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think "locking" rear diff'ls have been in common use in road going passenger vehicles for amost 40 years now. LSD, Limited Slip Diff'l's, yes, and torque sensing probably also.

Like nowadays we have a myriad of AWD designs out there in the marketplace we now have a myriad of rear diff'l design that have different methods of biasing engine torque to the wheel with traction.

I'm fairly certain that the most common LSD in use today would be the invisible one, TC firmware.

But to throw a bone in your direction what you state is much the problem with the VC in my '01 F/awd RX300. TC activates so quickly there is no opportunity for the VC to "stiffen" and thereby partially "lock" the center diff'l. Probably why the VC was dropped entirely for the later models.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Imported from Detroit

wptski,

Well, actually 35.6 at Ford as a machine repairman and pretty good at it with a background in electronics in the Navy way back.

As WWEST has pointed out since your gibberish post, there's no such thing as locking differential, locker or LSD that can be used with TC or AWD.

Actually wheel speed between all four must be within 1.2mph of eachother.

I guess you could use the term 0mph if you want but I've never heard of that before.

Last edited by wptski; 06-04-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
Bill,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think "locking" rear diff'ls have been in common use in road going passenger vehicles for amost 40 years now. LSD, Limited Slip Diff'l's, yes, and torque sensing probably also.

Like nowadays we have a myriad of AWD designs out there in the marketplace we now have a myriad of rear diff'l design that have different methods of biasing engine torque to the wheel with traction.

I'm fairly certain that the most common LSD in use today would be the invisible one, TC firmware.

But to throw a bone in your direction what you state is much the problem with the VC in my '01 F/awd RX300. TC activates so quickly there is no opportunity for the VC to "stiffen" and thereby partially "lock" the center diff'l. Probably why the VC was dropped entirely for the later models.
You are correct! TC and AWD take the place of LSD.

What's VC?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 AM

Locking, positraction, limited slip...

Different methods of getting to the same effect. I consider them to be functional equivalents and you are being disingenuous in what you are trying to say.

What you don't seem to get is that the two work in opposition to each other and offsetting the unintended effects of one when at low speed makes a difference.

I'll go to the shop manuals and look up the strict, technical definition of the axles in my 92 Suburban, 01 Mustang , & 06 Escape Hybrid.

BTW, if you go back 40 years (1969!) any kind of locking, limited slip or locking differentials were not in common use. The standard open differential was common through about the 80s.

I've learned over the years that when people pontificate, as you did with your "correct me if I'm wrong" lead in, they are frequently wrong.

Quick Reply: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands