TC and F/awd vehicles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TC and F/awd vehicles.

I checked my 2008 AWD FEH, and there is no switch. Therefore I believe that the 2008 model does NOT have TC, because I've never seen TC implemented without a way to turn it off.

Does anyone with a 2008 FWD want to contribute? Do you have an OFF switch for TC?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Stevedebi,

I may not have seen all of this discussion since I recently added wptski to my ignore list. I just found his contributions counterproductive and lacking in knowledge.
I try and make it a point NOT to put anyone on my list who actually OWNS an FEH. They are here to learn, and part of that learning is finding out their knowledge is lacking. Just my personal opinion, you understand.

Actually, wwest is the only one on my list...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM

You're probably right. I am here to learn and the info put up on the block heater really made a difference to me when I put mine in.

But, you know... sometimes some just get too fractious. I have no problem when someone asks the basis of what I say and observe... and expect them to courteously do the same.

I spent a career doing engineering. My 92 Suburban has gone 380,000 miles, partly in order to fund college for my sons, and I did nearly all of the work to make that a reality... and so learned alot along that way.

But... you know... sometimes... some conversations just aren't worth it, no matter how hard one tries to make a clear engineering argument to someone.

Soon as I can get back to my shop manuals I will research the 4WD vs TC discussion and see where it leads.

My Escape doesn't have a TC on/off switch either. My 01 Mustang, 4.6L, DOHC with limited slip differential (a very nice one) does have a TC Switch. I learned the hard way to use it one night.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I checked my 2008 AWD FEH, and there is no switch. Therefore I believe that the 2008 model does NOT have TC, because I've never seen TC implemented without a way to turn it off.

Does anyone with a 2008 FWD want to contribute? Do you have an OFF switch for TC?
Just Google'd that queston with numerous hits and one leading back to this forum and all state, no TC on '08 FEH. Interesting....

Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: TC and F/awd vehicles.

I have never heard of TC being a feature of any Escape Hybrid.

I'm 99.99% sure none of the 2005-2008 models came with TC.
I'm unclear about the 2009's.

HTH,
John

Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I have never heard of TC being a feature of any Escape Hybrid.

I'm 99.99% sure none of the 2005-2008 models came with TC.
I'm unclear about the 2009's.

HTH,
John
GaryG's '09 FEH has the TC switch, so they have TC. This also means that a <'09 FEH 4WD shouldn't be refered to as AWD as TC is what makes it a AWD.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
GaryG's '09 FEH has the TC switch, so they have TC. This also means that a <'09 FEH 4WD shouldn't be refered to as AWD as TC is what makes it a AWD.
Huh?? Pre 2009 FEH (and all AWD FEH) are AWD because they have an Intelligent All Wheel drive system, which transfers power to the rear wheels. It has nothing to do with the presence or absence of TC...

Old 06-08-2009, 05:27 PM

You're probably right, but with all the stuff that went around & around & around on this topic, I'm just going to get into the shop manuals and see where it leads. That won't happen for some days as my books are somewhere else.

I've been curious about just how the system senses and engages the rear axle, just how the rear axle is set up for limited slip, & how they really set up the ABS to contribute to this stuff. Since the FEH has the ability to do TC (eg ABS offers the ability to do this stuff) I am curious to see just how they implemented this stuff.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Huh?? Pre 2009 FEH (and all AWD FEH) are AWD because they have an Intelligent All Wheel drive system, which transfers power to the rear wheels. It has nothing to do with the presence or absence of TC...
It's ITCC 4WD not AWD. The ITCC sends torque to the rear wheels and that's all it does. TC modulates or pulse the brakes to send most of torque to one of the wheels.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 PM

We have been here before.

The FEH is F/awd. FWD only, except with moderate to hard acceleration at low speeds or if front wheelspin develops due to too much drive torque being used for roadbed conditions.

And as I have said before, I would have thought that the initial, first, action, ONLY action, upon detection of front wheelspin/slip would be to fully engage the rear drive in order to distribute the drive torque over a larger CSA. But the Ford Fusion documents plainly put the lie to this. According to the Fusion documentation front wheelspin triggers both actions, enagagement of rear drive AND TC.

Given the hazards of FWD associated with loss of directional control due to front wheelspin/slip, loss of traction, I can understand both remedies being applied simultaneously.

Shame, that..

You can believe that the fusion F/awd/TC technique does not apply to the FEH if you wish.

As everyone clearly knows I don't own an FEH...MMH or Tribute hybrid. If I ever do own one of these the very first modification will be to add a switch to make it TRULY 4WD. The switch will be used to supply 12 volts directly to the rear drive clutch so the rear drive can be manually engaged in wintertime adverse roadbed conditions. If TC engages "then" it will be only since the traction of all FOUR tires isn't enough, even with throttle "feathering".

So, why doesn't Ford supply a "switch" as they did with the earlier FE's..??

Because they are of the firm belief that "you" can't be trusted..!!

Last edited by wwest; 06-08-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: TC and F/awd vehicles.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands