Steering Wheel Cover Review - 2010 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 12:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Steering Wheel Cover Review - 2010 FEH

I like the steering wheel on the '10 FEH but I've always wanted it to be a little bit "stouter." The way I position myself most comfortably in the driver's seat, if the wheel was just a tiny bit larger I would be more comfortable (because it doesn't telescope, it only tilts). My wheel is in good shape, the leather and stitching are still in very good condition, but I noticed that when I let a friend drive the car the other day, he had some gunk on his hands and left some marks on the wheel. I'll get him back! Lol. With all the heat and so forth, that was the final straw, so I took a chance and bought one of these for $15.99 (returnable).
Amazon Amazon

[Aside: These appear to be made in China. I tried to find something made in the USA but Wheelskins (beautiful and better but...) are comparatively expensive, MANA are "loud" to say the least, the Ford cover has "FORD" written all over it - literally - and I couldn't find anything else under $30, much less under $20. Can't the USA make a good steering wheel cover at a competitive price with all the cars we have on the road?]

Ford says the steering wheel is 15" and here is my review and a photo. I just wrote it so it hasn't been approved by Amazon yet. You can also see the Heatshield I bought for the car, direct from the manufacturer. It works, it fits, it's made in the USA and I don't need to use my visors to hold it in place because it was cut accurately and fits the windshield.

----------------------------------->
Like a few other people when I got this and took it out of the packaging I was worried. When I first tried it, the way it comes folded in the package and the stiffness were almost too much and I didn't think it was going to fit. Mine was a "STANDARD" size, which *should* fit my 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid but all the tugging and pulling (and I didn't want to break or rip anything) and I got nowhere for about 5 minutes.

So I left it on the sunroof of the car in hot sun for about an hour.

Much easier. You have to align it as closely as possible and then gradually work your way around the wheel, using your fingers to pull/push the cover progressively around the steering wheel until it's all on there. It takes a bit of work and you will need strong fingers and moderately strong arms. A soft plastic rod or wooden dowel of some kind might help but I didn't use one.

Once it goes on it's very nice! I had to tug/pull/push mine a little to get it perfectly symmetric, which is good because it will want to stay in place and not slip. The surface texturing is pleasant to the touch, the wheel is grippier, and it has a kind of plastic inner sleeve to prevent scratching the wheel underneath it. I like it! It makes the wheel just a bit bigger and easier to grasp without feeling excessive.

So: everything takes a little bit of work. Make sure you measure your steering wheel and order the right size (SM, MED, LG). My 2010 Ford Escape has a 15" wheel. The "beige" of this cover is a little more "yellow" than the interior of my car but not too bad. I didn't expect it to be perfectly color-matched, what I wanted was a little better grip on the wheel and some heat/scratch/dirt/stain protection. This does it. For $15.99 this is a good product.

SEG Direct Black and Beige Microfiber Leather Auto Car Steering Wheel Cover Universal 15 inch

Last edited by AlexK; 07-01-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Wheel Cover Review - 2010 FEH

Looks good! Coincidentally I'm going on the hunt for a new wheel today. Dunno if I'll go with black or beige, guess whatever they have. I'm skipping the airbag so it might not match. Much better than the chipped nasty one I have. I'm surprised yours is in such great shape. Most of the ones I see are chewed up so it's not just mine.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
I'm surprised yours is in such great shape. Most of the ones I see are chewed up so it's not just mine.
It "punches above its weight class" for $16 bux, no doubt. As far as the original wheel goes, it's like the rest of the car. The PO was a young, rather attractive female dentist from an upscale neighborhood. The car was white like new enamel looks after her hygienist finishes the cleaning and she drove it back and forth to work, garaged it, and had it washed and interior cleaned every two weeks. Then she took it to the dealer for whatever maintenance and TSBs there were and said: "Fix it and call me when it's done." "Thank you Dr.!" I asked her: "You didn't lease this did you?" ... "No, I wrote them a check for the full amount." Must be nice!

When I went to look at the car I couldn't believe how clean it was. There weren't even any fingerprints on the windows, the NAV system, etc. And she pointed out every little flaw: "The clearcoat is starting to peel on these wheels. And it's got a tiny paint chip on the hood, right there."

Now you know why I am a little obsessed with keeping it running well. It's too nice to let go.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:29 PM

I ended up finding a black wheel with a very small wear spot on it... $21.. but I'm confused. Are these covered in leather or vinyl. I melted the bad spot a bit and it smelled like hair. I assumed it was vinyl covered foam and the sewing seams were fake.

My buttons actually light up too now.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
I ended up finding a black wheel with a very small wear spot on it... $21.. but I'm confused. Are these covered in leather or vinyl. I melted the bad spot a bit and it smelled like hair. I assumed it was vinyl covered foam and the sewing seams were fake.

My buttons actually light up too now.
My car is "camel" (or beige/tan) leather interior and if my steering wheel isn't leather, I'll say "Moo" and eat it. . The stitches are not fake on my car, it's real leather. I'll bet your 'new' one is leather, too. Did it come out of a Limited? If so it's definitely leather, and it was optional on the XLT IIRC. I like the steering wheel buttons and placement, I "talk" to my car all the time and the wheel buttons + voice assist work great with my phone, etc. [Push Button] "Say Command" [BEEP] --- 'PHONE' --- [BEEP] --- 'CALL JOE'. Works every time and I never take my eyes off the road.

Last edited by AlexK; 07-02-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:02 PM

It didn't have leather seats but my base wheel looked like yours to a T. Maybe all of them are leather if they have seams. I bought some fine sand paper and acrylic leather sealer to see if I can make it smooth. They were right handed and held it between 12-2. At least the opposite corner is ok. The finisher + paper costs as much as the wheel, which is amusing. Hopefully this finally does it.

Following this guy:

It came out ok. I didn't dye it or sand hard so I can see where the wear was. After the sealer it feels smooth.. but of course now I find close to perfect wheels at the wrecker now because I already bought one

Last edited by ShadyEscape; 07-08-2021 at 09:51 AM.