Anyone install leather steering wheel cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone install leather steering wheel cover?

I just bought one and wonder if anyone has any installation tips.
I hear it takes about an hour and ruins your fingers.

It was $60 at the Honda dealer.
Installation not included.

I have the 04 HCH and it has two thicker bumps at 2:00 and 10:00 but the cover is the same width all the way around.
???

Last edited by kenny; 12-02-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Default Re: Anyone install leather steering wheel cover?

I put one on my 2002 Avalanche a few years back. Yes, those are a chore to put on. I did not use gloves, and it is rough on the fingers. Just make sure the threading is TIGHT but not too tight to rip through the holes, which can ruin it.

IMHO it's worth it though, for the feel and the size it adds.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Here's the response that I gave the last time you asked here. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=4646

I've installed a leather steering wheel cover on all my cars back to my '78 Civic. Very easy to do...but you need to do it right. Now that I have done about a dozen cars, it only takes me about twenty to thirty minutes. Here are some tips that I have found. Hope they help.

1) Keep the threading tight, Tight, TIGHT. Did I mention to keep the thread tight, too?
2) Slip over the cover. If using a Honda cover, there are areas without holes for around the spokes. Make sure that you align these as best you can, evenly on each spoke.
3) I always start at the bottom...about three holes from the seam.
4) I thread from the INSIDE of the hole in front then back to hole directly opposite the starting point. Basically, you are going directly back, not at an angle.
5) Leave about six inches or so of thread as a tail to tie it off when finished. Starting from the inside instead of the outside will keep the knot inside the cover, not outside.
6) As stated above, go from the front hole DIRECTLY back to the opposite hole. Again, thread from the outside in, then across at an angle from the inside out.
7) After about two or three "cycles" you will be able to start pulling tightly without pulling the tail through. The thread is waxed so it sticks. Keep the thread TIGHT.
8) Keep going until you get to about 8:00. Then I turn the wheel tot he left to get the thread back to 6:00. I always work between 6:00 and 8:00.
9) When you get to a spoke, run the thread from the last hole in the back (the front hole should already be used), BEHIND the spoke to the first hole on the front. Then proceed as before. Remember to keep the thread TIGHT.
10) Go all the way around and tie it off at the end.
11) The key to making it look good is to ensure that you pull tight. The holes are reinforced and I have never torn one. The thread is also very strong and I've never broken it.
12) The other thing I do is as I am threading, I twist the cover around the wheel so that the threading is more towards the back inside of the wheel and not towards the front. It also keeps the loose end at the spoke tight against it.

Hope this all makes sense. It is much easier to do than to explain. Just KEEP THE THREAD TIGHT!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

The only thing I'll add is that I actually broke a string once pulling too tight. Granted, it was a cheaper (not Honda) wrap for another car. I put one on my 03 (from Honda) and didn't have any trouble. I actually used a pair of needle-nozed pilers to pull the needle after I pushed it through the holes (I'd push it so about 1" was out the other side, then grabbed the pliers). Made the needle much easier to grab, and was much easier on my fingers. All that wax from the string can get things slipery.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much.
That is EXACTLY the kind of detail I need and I appreciate it.

Sorry I didn't see it last time.
I know it is a netiquite violation.

Thanks!