spin on filter conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default spin on filter conversion

Has anyone done a spin on oil filter conversion to their I4 Duratec engine?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: spin on filter conversion

I didn't know there was a kit available to do this conversion. What filter does it use? What does it cost?

Not sure there would be any real advantages for me. The oil change is already pretty simple and the OEM filters are available online for less than $5.

I wonder if there would be any problems with the warranty on the engine if something bad happened?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast

There is one thing a hybrid engine needs vs a non-hybrid engine, is instant oil pressure upon start-up. Most spin-on oil filters are equipped with anti-drain back valve, and some with a pressure by-pass valve. Both these valves are used to control oil flow, and maintain oil pressure, thus keeping the oil galleys full of oil even after shut-down. By utilizing a cartrage filter design the valves are built into the engine, not the filter, so Ford has control of these valves, not Fram, Wix or Purolitor, ect...

If I rember right starting in the 2001 MY Ford used the 2.3l Duratec engine in it's Ranger p/u truck and it took a Motorcraft FL400S spin-on oil filter. The S at the end of the part number denotes a silicone check valve is used in this filter, not all aftermarket filters had this feature, and this resulted in oil starvation at start-up, and engine damage soon followed. I know this because I have disassembled and replaced several engines (none were the 2.3l Duratec) where a cheap aftermarket filter caused it's demise. I have also had cust. report back to me that there engine no longer makes noise upon start-up, after an oil change were the cheap aftermarket filter was replaced with a qualty Motorcraft filter.

Last edited by Kermit; 02-16-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kermit
There is one thing a hybrid engine needs vs a non-hybrid engine, is instant oil pressure upon start-up.
The gas engine is the gas engine and they function pretty much the same as far as the need for lubrication goes. If anything, the hybrid engine has an edge since the electric motors can spin the gas engine up to speed and delay having the injectors fire until the oil pressure is up to some minimum level. not sure if this is the case but I would expect so. Just the reverse of how shutdown into electric mode works - the fuel is shut off and the gas engine runs for a couple seconds after that until the fuel is burned off, then the gas engine stops spinning. You can see this by watching the charge/assist meter.

Either way, I don't think instant oil pressure is more of an issue with one versus the other. I read somewhere that this same filter element is used in one of the Mazda vehicles and it obviously isn't a hybrid.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Jason
I am aware of how an engine (hybrid or otherwise) starts and stops. Last week I was watching the local weather report, the morning temp. in Embarrass, MN was -32 deg. below zero. (Ford's cold climate test facility is located in nearby Bermidji, MN)
That is extreme cold, and in these extreme conditions, if you were a Ford engineer, wouldn't you want control of oil flow at -32 deg.???
I am also aware Mazda uses the same filter in there Mazda 3, it is good that Mazda engineers also want control of engine oil flow.
I know when I drive my wife's Jaguar to the store, the engine starts once, and runs untill I shut it off. (my wife's Jaguar is a non hybrid vehicle)
I also know when I drive my FEH to the same store, the engine may start and stop 10 times. (depending on the conditions) This 10 to 1 relationship is why oil flow in a hybrid is so critical during startup!!!!
A typical oil pressure sending unit will shut off a oil pressure idiot light when oil pressure reaches 4-6psi, I have seen the the light stay on for 15-20 seconds after start-up (In an otherwise healthy engine), the cause was a defective oil filter.

Last edited by Kermit; 02-17-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You guys are totally over-analyizing things.

Ford went with a cartridge type filter for a very simple reason:
They wanted less disposable product going to the landfill.

By eliminating the disposible canister, this saves resources and reduces waste. On your car, just a little, sure. Now multiply by 50,000 cars times 15 oil changes... you get the idea.

And yes, I was told this by the person(s) who designed the car, including Mary Ann Wright back in 2005 when she was lead enginner in the Hybrid department at Ford.

This is a "green" vehicle in ways many people do not think of.
Did you know that 85% of the FEH can be recycled?
Did you know many of the plastic and metal parts are FROM recycled materials???

-John

Old 02-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not trying to analyze anything other than why having a spin on oil filter would be detrimental based on what Kermit said. If, as he said, the purpose of havig a filter element instead of a spin-on is to control bleed-back internally, then adding a spin on wouldn't change that at all. In fact, it would give secondary protection from bleedback since you would now have two check valves, one in the engine and one in the filter.

As easy as these filters are to change and as cheap as they are aftermarket, I wouldn't change mine even if a kit were available. I just found the idea interesting.