Speed above 40 MPH for highest MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speed above 40 MPH for highest MPG

Originally Posted by GaryG
The best mileage in all the models of the FEH is 30mpg hands down! You answered correctly!

GaryG
Interestingly, you state that "The differences between using CC or not at the above test speeds on an absolute flat roadway with no traffic interaction are statistically insignificant in the FEH"....yet you will state as fact that the best mileage is achieved "hands down" at 30 MPH.

Can you explain how at difference of 2+ mpg between using CC and not using it is "statistically insignificant", yet claim that a difference of 0.9 mpg between 30mph and 40mph is better "hands down"?

In a test composed of 3 runs I would argue (and I am not a statistician) that ALL of your data is faulty as your sample size is incredibly small and filled with possible errors.

Also, claiming that wind resistance is the sole determining factor in gas mileage ignores the fact that the engine is not more efficient at lower speeds. I guarantee you can get better gas mileage at 60mph than you can get at 20mph (engine on of course). I don't know what the "cutoff point" is where increasing speed decreases mileage... but I believe it is higher than 30mph based on my experiences.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
AND you are required by law to move over to the right to allow overtaking no matter what speed you are going. If you look in your mirror and see a car behind you ( you do look in your mirror? ) YOU are slower traffic.
I don't disagree with that - however, it doesn't vary by state on weather that is a true statement or not... When I dangerously get passed on the right I don't like it.

(The example above occured in my BMW this weekend numerous times when I had the cruise AT the speed limit and there were 3 lanes. 2 normal lanes and a truck only lane. People continually passed me, on the right, in the truck lane creating a signifigant safety hazard)

Old 09-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Thumbs down Re: Speed above 40 MPH for highest MPG

Originally Posted by Tim K

In a test composed of 3 runs I would argue (and I am not a statistician) that ALL of your data is faulty as your sample size is incredibly small and filled with possible errors.

Also, claiming that wind resistance is the sole determining factor in gas mileage ignores the fact that the engine is not more efficient at lower speeds. I guarantee you can get better gas mileage at 60mph than you can get at 20mph (engine on of course). I don't know what the "cutoff point" is where increasing speed decreases mileage... but I believe it is higher than 30mph based on my experiences.
Hey, I've been pointing this out to him for 4 years now.
There's just no use in talking to someone as dense as a brick.
Plus, he changes his mind without rhyme or reason to back it up.

I've stated that my testing over 100's of miles on dozens of days in my particular FEH I get 48 MPG at 48 MPH. That's hard to beat. But Gary, always needing to one up everyone else wrote, and anyone can dig up those posts on here, that HE gets the best MPG at about 50 MPH. NOT 30!!!!
Ha!

( $50 bucks says if he comes back, he'll claim he miss typed and meant to say 50 MPH before... )

Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In GaryG's post at cleanmpg, he details his results and his data indicates 30mph obtains the best fuel mileage. Note the details provided:

"All tests were performed over a 1.0 mile distance with tire pressures set to 52 #’s in mid 90 degree F temps."

Does the laboratory data match outside of the laboratory data?