low gear renerative braking (not working)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default low gear renerative braking (not working)

On my 2008 escape hybrid FWD when i use the brake for stop it's charging the battery like always but when i use the 'L' gear that suppose to charge the battery is not working anymore. Now the D and the L gear are the same i check if there is any codes with the scangaugeII and no codes founds.

Also the ABS activates sometimes don't know why the street are dry???? no sand on the street it,s hot 20C WHY ??????????? need help.

oups (regenerative braking)

Last edited by frenchy_ca.qc; 09-07-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: low gear renerative braking (not working)

There are some other posts around from folks with a scangauge that will go into greater detail. They're worth looking up & reading.

The FEH will go into negative split mode when the traction battery reaches 53% charge. This starts the engine and uses compression braking to slow the FEH and stops regenerative braking through the transaxle with the gear selector in "L".

On the other hand regenerative braking thru the brakes is able to charge the traction battery up to about 90%. Although it will do so at lesser and lesser charge rates as 90% is approached. This really uses the transaxle also to do the regenerative stuff, so electro-mechanically its identical - don't ask - its what the programmers chose to do.

Bottom line is that if you are running around with the battery around 53% of charge the "L" position won't seem to give you much.

Last edited by Bill Winney; 09-07-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by Bill Winney

The FEH will go into negative split mode when the traction battery reaches 53% charge. This starts the engine and uses compression braking to slow the FEH and stops regenerative braking through the transaxle with the gear selector in "L".

Bottom line is that if you are running around with the battery around 53% of charge the "L" position won't seem to give you much.
The key word is MUCH. Regen from L position ( or coasting in D for that matter ) is not absolutely shut off at, or at any point above 53%. It is however, reduced in magnitude.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey, thanks for the clarification...