Puzzler ABS + Stability Control Lights 2010 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Puzzler ABS + Stability Control Lights 2010 FEH

Hi Everyone,

Here's a little bit of a puzzler. I haven't pulled codes yet because of the weather, but I will as soon as I get the chance...

Anyway:

Yesterday we got in the car to go for a medium-long drive and both the little ABS round yellow light (center instrument cluster) and the Stability Control light were lit. We are unsure whether any of us saw them come on before then; we don't think so, but it's possible it happened at the end of the previous drive and we didn't notice - that was several days ago and we couldn't recall. Hitting the "stability control" button does nothing.

The lights do not flash or blink. They stay on constantly. Cycle the key: "Ready to Drive" but they stay on. I have not yet cleared the codes in any way.

We had to make this drive so we took the risk. We drove nearly 500 miles and both lights stayed on the entire time. THERE WAS NO STRANGE BEHAVIOR FROM THE BRAKES.

There is no delay, no strange feelings from the pedal, no way to tell something is wrong in ordinary braking. No noise. No "Check Brake System." No red triangles.

In fact, when you run the "Info Button" system check it reports: "Brake System OK" even though the ABS + Stab. lights are ON.

So it's a little different than most ABS light problems. I am thinking maybe just the brake fluid needs topping off, plus check the fuses, all the taillights, etc. There appears to be NO problem whatsoever with the regular operation of the brakes. We got home safely with no other symptoms but the lights.

Could it be a cracked ABS Tone Ring? The ones on my car are original. But wouldn't it throw a more serious flag and NOT say that the "Brake System is OK" ??

Once I have the codes, I'll have a better idea...but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by AlexK; 01-24-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Puzzler ABS + Stability Control Lights 2010 FEH

Originally Posted by hailey grace
does the previous owner familiar with this issue ?
No, this is a brand-new, never before seen problem.

I haven't had the chance to do anything substantive yet. And now it is *INTERMITTENT* - I drove four hours the other day and all the lights were OFF, as they should be, for the whole trip. Started it up the next day and there they were again.

I'm now thinking a loose/intermittent connector or an ABS sensor on its way out is the problem. With any luck at all I'll be able to get FORScan on it this week and solve the problem. It has not gotten worse, it's just annoying and I don't like driving without the security of ABS and Stability Control.

The fact that it is intermittent gives me hope that it's something simple and easy to fix. The PO definitely did not see this. I bought the car with around 60k miles on it, and the PO is a physician. The car was immaculate throughout, just detailed, everything worked right down to the SYNC/NAV and Premium Sound System, and all repairs and maintenance had been done by the dealership. It was a real find and I love the car. She bought it, paid cash in full, totally loaded with everything except AWD. The PO told me: "Here are the maintenance records. All I did was take it to the dealer, tell them: "Fix it" or "Maintain it" and write them a check. 'Cause that's how she rolls. I'm not trying to brag - I feel very fortunate. I haven't seen a nicer one loaded like this in the entire time I've owned it, online or off.

Her family had bought cars from this dealership for decades, other family members are also customers, and they treated her like the Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs. Must be nice.

I'll keep everyone posted when I get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by AlexK; 02-12-2023 at 03:22 PM.