Over-heating a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Over-heating a concern?

I have the FIA winter guards also. This purchase also includes a summer mesh guard. I still have my upper FIA winter guard on --see photo section--and wonder if I could utilize this summer mesh on the lower grille? I also use a piece of painted 1/4 inch plywood for the lower grille opening. Mybe I should keep the lower grille piece on in an attempt to prevent radiator damage.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The Cloud Rider site does not list the 2008 Escape Hybrid. I gather that you bought the regular 2008 Escape grill covers and they fit just fine?
Yep, that's exactly right. They fit great - I don't think there is any difference in the grill between the FEH and a standard FEH.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey there:

I have the same CloudRider chrome inserts as pictured above in my 08 FEH -- they fit perfectly (see my pictures in the Share area). Currently, I have the top two inserts removed & the bottom one still in.

It is mid 20s C here today in the Ottawa area & the external temperature showing on the display is 25 C. I think that the sensor for the external temp is sited at the lowest opening and is behind the insert. I will likely remove the third insert when the temperatures edge above 30 C just to be safe.

I have just over 10,000 km on my vehicle now and I am sure that it warmed up quicker & had EV sooner in the winter. Because it was new mid-January, I cannot comment too much on the mileage during the cold weather. I used the block heater all winter too.

H

Old 05-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by hugoland
Hey there:

I have the same CloudRider chrome inserts as pictured above in my 08 FEH -- they fit perfectly (see my pictures in the Share area). Currently, I have the top two inserts removed & the bottom one still in.

H
The inserts are listed as polished stainless steel, not chrome. Are they as shiny as the chrome?

I was thinking of getting the black powder coated ones.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:32 PM

The inserts are listed as polished stainless steel, not chrome. Are they as shiny as the chrome?

I was thinking of getting the black powder coated ones.
I just ordered the powder coat ones. 4-6 weeks for delivery because they are special order... they only stock the stainless.

I hate chrome on a car for the most part... but its a matter of taste.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I just ordered the powder coat ones. 4-6 weeks for delivery because they are special order... they only stock the stainless.

I hate chrome on a car for the most part... but its a matter of taste.
Same here, but the FEH came the way they ordered it - including the chrome package! So my chrome extends all the way down to the bottom of the bumper.

Which pattern did you get? I'm thinking I will use the "Spectare Mesh". I finally figured out that for these pictures they put white paper behind the black grill so one can see the pattern. In practice I think I will see only the chrome vertical supports.

I definitely want to use one of the two designed for maximum cooling. In my opinion, the Ford engineers designed the FEH around the OEM grill, which is to say no obstructions. I am considering the purchase simply to protect the radiator from rocks & etc. (and because I think it will look cool).

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM

I'd like to have just that bottom grille insert to use as a stone protector. I wonder if they would sell just that? No harm in asking I guess, I'll call them tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
I'd like to have just that bottom grille insert to use as a stone protector. I wonder if they would sell just that? No harm in asking I guess, I'll call them tomorrow.
I saw on the website SOMEWHERE that they will sell the pieces separate if you ask. So you should be set.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Same here, but the FEH came the way they ordered it - including the chrome package! So my chrome extends all the way down to the bottom of the bumper.

Which pattern did you get? I'm thinking I will use the "Spectare Mesh". I finally figured out that for these pictures they put white paper behind the black grill so one can see the pattern. In practice I think I will see only the chrome vertical supports.

I definitely want to use one of the two designed for maximum cooling. In my opinion, the Ford engineers designed the FEH around the OEM grill, which is to say no obstructions. I am considering the purchase simply to protect the radiator from rocks & etc. (and because I think it will look cool).
Mines an '06 with very little chrome. I think the new ones (because of the chrome package) might look better with the polished stainless.

I ordered the high flow mesh... I think the Spectare for the Summer. Yes... probably overheating isn't an issue in the summer but..

Rocks started to scare me when I read about the guy who took one in the radiator here and someone whose replaced two foglamps... and then last week I had one foglamp taken out... and then I said... Hmmmmm

Mine are PURELY functional.... at least thats what I'm tellin the fiancee....

I ordered a set for the winter as well to help with EV mode, but in the summer I'm pretty happy with getting ~32MPG traveling every day 38miles on the freeway at 75MPH in the summer. Mines a 4WD too... in the winter is when it stings. If I was willing to drive slower I could easily push that summer number up to 34-35.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
Yes, they sell the bottom one separately. I asked. You have to call them up and order by phone.

Quick Reply: Over-heating a concern?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands