Over-heating a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Over-heating a concern?

So, I bought my grill inserts to help keep a little more heat in the engine area - so I can get into EV a little sooner (or stay longer).

I'm actually thinking that it will make a bigger difference after I've parked for a bit and then start up again. I have a feeling that right now the engine cools off a bit too much and then needs to "reheat" when I get going again.

... anyways, my question is this: do you think I need to be concerned about over heating the FEH if I leave the grill inserts in all summer?

The ones I bought are these sharp looking ones from Cloud Rider.

I'm thinking that I may leave one out (maybe the middle) for summer but does anyone think I should leave another one out?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Over-heating a concern?

I have used a FIA Winter Grille Block for the upper portion of my Grille opening--see in the photo section for a view. I have taken out the lower grille block and driven over 1000 miles in the last few weeks with no problems at all. Of course, it has only reached 80 degrees F once during this time frame.

How easy is it to remove your grille blocks? What holds them in place? Do you have a Scan Guage to monitor the vital engine components?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
How easy is it to remove your grille blocks?
It's pretty easy to remove them - but kind of a minor pain to put them in.

What holds them in place?
There are four, long phillips-head screws in each block. They have a hook kind of thing that threads on. The hook things tighten up and grab the factory grill from behind when you tighten the screw. (Hmmmm... was that the world's worst description or what? Sorry, maybe I'll take a pic tomorrow to show it a little better.)

Do you have a Scan Guage to monitor the vital engine components?
No... I went with the NAV system and haven't invested in the Scan Gauge. I probably won't.

Now having said all that - I just did the Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion on your 80 degrees and I'm thinking I'm probably ok. The very maximum temp we are likely to see up here is maybe 95 .... maybe.... for like a day.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Just make sure you pay some extra attention to your coolant temperature. Your radiator is less efficient in the summer because the difference between ambient air temperature and your engine coolant temperature is smaller. On top of this, you're trying to displace more heat when the A/C is running. You really should take some temperature measurements because you're chipping away at the engineering tollerances of the cooling system; the extra capacity you need when climbing a hill or you have the ICE floored (I know we're not drag racers.) I'm being preachy because having a cracked or warped engine head from overheating sucks.

Another thing to consider is electrical losses from your radiator fan motor. At cruising speeds, passive air flow through the radiator is usually enough to keep things cool. However, with a restricted grill in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if the electric fan is triggered more often. Just speculation, but worthy of investigation rather than assumption.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

#1 for summer, I think you will be fine with one cover, Top or Center removed, in all but the most extreeme condtions, such as steep hill climbing. I do think you should remove one. ( keep the bottom one on year-round... I got a rock chip down there that made my A/C freon leak out! )

#2 you can tell if you are "borderline" on too hot, but within limits, if you hear your electric radiator fans keep going after you turn the car off.

#3 there are two levels of over heat. Limited overheat, and severe. In limited overheat, your dash light will blink, and you may get a warning message, but the car will keep driving. In a severe overheat, I think the light is steady burning, and within seconds or minutes after that, the car will shut down at it won't let you drive at all ( untill it cools significantly ).

The fans spin all the time when the A/C is being used, but don't spin at all if the car is under about 100'C 212'F. They do have multiple speeds, and you may not hear them if they are on low.

How was your winter MPG with the covers?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks GPS - that was helpful info on the indicators of running too hot. I think you're right, I'll probably be fine running with just one out for the summer. After all, northern Alberta temps are not the same as someone might see in Arizona.

A couple people have mentioned A/C - I never use it, at all. In the summer I will roll down the windows. I will use the heater in the winter but I "non-A/C" guy.

Unfortunately I can't give you any insight on how the inserts affect winter MPG - I've only had the FEH for about a month now (just over 800km) and I just put the inserts in last night. I can say that today is seemed to hit EV a little sooner, especially those times when I parked it for a bit and then came back. That could just be me though.

Oh, and someone had asked what the installation was like - I'll take some photos when I take the one insert out.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 AM

Some people question how much a radiator block helps the car warm-up, since the thermostat is supposed to keep water from going to the radiator when cold anyway.

But I PROMISE it DOES keep the car warmer, longer, like you say, when you make stops, or even when you are in EV, it keeps EV longer. Once the car is hot, it helps keep it hot longer.

I wouldn't drive w/o one in winter personally!
-John

Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
( keep the bottom one on year-round... I got a rock chip down there that made my A/C freon leak out! )
John, did you come up with a solution for the bottom grille that can be kept in year-round and prevents rock damage? I seem to recall that you did but I can't find the post now. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM

2 years ago I used cardboad in winter only.
This winter I installed a FIA winter grill guard ( fabric with snaps, like a "bra" ) for the top, and for the bottom I put a thin strip of wood laminate down there. ( a scrap I got from something ) In March I got my Insight and I havn't driven the FEH many miles since.
I'm sure I can leave the bottom area covered year-round, since I'm a fairly gentle driver, I have trouble heating up the car in the first place!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Valiant Indecision
So, I bought my grill inserts to help keep a little more heat in the engine area - so I can get into EV a little sooner (or stay longer).
The Cloud Rider site does not list the 2008 Escape Hybrid. I gather that you bought the regular 2008 Escape grill covers and they fit just fine?

Quick Reply: Over-heating a concern?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands