New hybrid battery replacement won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default New hybrid battery replacement won’t start

Hi there, hoping you might be able to help us troubleshoot the replacement job we did on a 2005 Escape hybrid battery. We recently started seeing error code POA1F when running the car in hot or cold temperatures that would clear after restarting the car. We are selling it and wanted to put a new hybrid battery in. After ordering and installing the replacement, the engine won’t turn over and warning lights turn on. The warnings say “pull over now” and “service emissions system”. We tried using the toggle switch that charges the high voltage battery with the low volt battery with no success. Thank you for any advice you might be able to give us!

Old 07-10-2021, 06:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New hybrid battery replacement won’t start

Is it charged? Is the orange cutoff installed and locked? Check SOC of the battery and read the actual code.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doug&Liz
We tried using the toggle switch that charges the high voltage battery with the low volt battery with no success. Thank you for any advice you might be able to give us!
You mean the BUTTON? It should be a button in the left side of the dashboard or left lower kick panel, not a toggle switch. If your replacement battery was heavily discharged, it may take several attempts with the auxiliary 12V jump start button for the battery to achieve sufficient voltage to start the engine. It sounds like yours is.

First, make sure you've got a known-good and strong 12V battery in the car.
Connect *another vehicle* to the car's 12V battery like a jump start on a normal vehicle. Here is the procedure S Keith recommends. If it doesn't start the engine after this, you will need to either build a charging device using S Keith's instructions or find a dealer or independent mechanic who can do it. You may need to disconnect the 12V battery first to temporarily clear the "PULL OVER NOW" code. Do that first, clean the terminals and reconnect, and then:

HV battery has gone flat.
Replace 12V.
Attach jumper cables between vehicles and start jump vehicle.
Hit HV jump button.
Wait 10+ minutes
Hit HV jump button.
Wait 10+ minutes
Hit HV jump button.
Wait 10+ minutes
Attempt to start vehicle
If vehicle starts, allow vehicle to idle and charge the HV battery until the gas engine shuts off. Do not run HVAC during this period.
NOTE: If the HV jump button begins to flash immediately after you press it, that indicates a HV jump starter fault. The HV battery can go to very low voltages, and dormant NiMH chemistry can develop very high resistance until it's reactivated. In some cases, the HV jump starter can't overcome the high resistance, and it faults out.

It's important to have the jump vehicle attached and running. The HV jump starter load is high and will pull 12V battery low. Keeping the 12V system voltage high improves the HV jump starter function.
Note: I am 99% sure that when you push the button, a little light should illuminate on the button. I don't have one on my 2010 (the feature was discontinued). If you have a *toggle switch* in there, someone has modified the system. Take a picture of what you have.

Last edited by AlexK; 07-11-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I thought it was some kind of rocker switch.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
I thought it was some kind of rocker switch.
The only thing I've ever seen is the button with the LED. 1:53 in this video. Some people have said it's where FTM has it, under a vanity panel on the left side of the dashboard, but I've seen another video with it located in the lower left driver's footwell kickpanel [FTM says 2008 was up high, 2005,6,7 down low.] Toggle switches and rocker switches are very uncommon on modern American-spec cars because of federal impact safety regulations. Old cars (especially old Italian cars like Maseratis) had them all over the place. You just don't see them very often, but people wire things in....And in fact I once saw a video featuring a "boutique" small manufacturer electric vehicle that had aircraft style toggle switches on the dashboard for the "oooh, aaahh" look to justify its exorbitant price. To comply with DOT regs, they had to "shield" them with a little "roll cage" type setup on both sides of the switch, extending outward to the height of the toggle. So if your face and the dashboard ever violently collided the toggle switches wouldn't pierce your skull but you might get a very interesting mark on your forehead, lol.

Last edited by AlexK; 07-11-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:36 PM

The jump starter is IN the battery. If the battery was not replaced with an 05-08 battery, the jump starter won't work.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith
The jump starter is IN the battery. If the battery was not replaced with an 05-08 battery, the jump starter won't work.
Oh, yeah! That too!

Last edited by AlexK; 07-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.