NAV system for 08 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV system for 08 FEH

Originally Posted by m056678
I put one in my 2008 FEH right after buying it in August 2007. There is another thread about this same topic here. It is a plug-and-play replacement. THERE IS NO OTHER WIRE HARNESS NEEDED. You will need three things in addition to the nav unit itself. You do need a new bezel plate (cost me around $50 if I remember correctly),an antenna for the GPS receiver in the nav unit (which can be had pretty cheap on e-bay), and the nav DVD (i think the current version if 9P, but I could be wrong). When I bought my nav unit on e-bay, the seller programmed it to display the hybrid screen, but it is something the dealer can probably do for you (just call and ask), but I am pretty sure this requires the use of a VCM, which is a little on th pricey side to buy for one use.

To check if a nav unit is programmed for the HEV input, put the nav unit is "Diagnostic Mode" (this is what someone else referred to as the developer screen) by doing the following:

With the key in the Run (3) position, and the nav unit started up (past the welcome screen), press and hold the 3 and 6 buttons. This will take you into the diagnostic mode. Release the 3 and 6 buttons. It starts with a Speaker Walk Test. Press End Test. Next, press Configuration Status. Scroll down to the HEV line; this line should read "[Enabled]."

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the job. Also, I have the factory service manuals and have a lot of the sections for this job digitized, if you need them.

Fully knowing this thread is 2+ years old, was hoping there was still some knowledge floating around here.

My 08 FEH nav system had it's map DVD drive go bad. The dealer swapped out the whole nav unit, however they cannot seem to program it into "hybrid mode". When the 3+6 configuration status screen is shown, it always displays HEV as disabled, and the "HEV" energy flow/mpg screen is missing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how the dealer programs my car as a hybrid? They cannot seem to figure it out. They had the VCM plugged in, but none of the options on their screens had any "hybrid" or "HEV" options.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom

Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

According to:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4...ml#post2039015
you'll need to send it away to have it reprogrammed.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IDunno
According to:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4...ml#post2039015
you'll need to send it away to have it reprogrammed.
Shouldn't the dealer have this capability? I'm not trying to put sync or an 09 nav in my 08, i'm merely trying to restore the HEV screen on the 08.

Seems like something the dealer should/would have the capabiltiy to do without sending out.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tas246
Shouldn't the dealer have this capability? I'm not trying to put sync or an 09 nav in my 08, i'm merely trying to restore the HEV screen on the 08.

Seems like something the dealer should/would have the capabiltiy to do without sending out.
I think Idunno was on to something. The 2008 OEM Ford hybrid nav system was made by Pioneer from what I gather. Pioneer no longer supplies nav systems to Ford. Your dealer might have swapped in a Clarion or other unit from a newer FEH. The newer (2009-12) FEHs have a totally different powertrain than your 2008. Programming tools might not exist any more for the 5+ year old Pioneer systems, and it's doubtful the Clarion units were designed to be reverse compatible for older powertrains like yours.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
I think Idunno was on to something. The 2008 OEM Ford hybrid nav system was made by Pioneer from what I gather. Pioneer no longer supplies nav systems to Ford. Your dealer might have swapped in a Clarion or other unit from a newer FEH. The newer (2009-12) FEHs have a totally different powertrain than your 2008. Programming tools might not exist any more for the 5+ year old Pioneer systems, and it's doubtful the Clarion units were designed to be reverse compatible for older powertrains like yours.
It's definitely a pioneer unit. See Attached Photo.

You think a dealership would stop supporting a unit only 5 years after a vehicle was released? Seems like they would keep these legacy tools around.

This is becoming an annoyance. I don't want to lose that HEV screen, however it was better than a broken nav like i had. Either way it should be on Ford to make my vehicle like it was when i bought it. I'll keep pinging the dealer.

Appreciate the info!

Attached Thumbnails NAV system for 08 FEH-img_8789.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You think a dealership would stop supporting a unit only 5 years after a vehicle was released? Seems like they would keep these legacy tools around.
I would think the issue is more between Ford and Pioneer and not the dealer. You could try contacting Pioneer to see if they can lend a hand. The other issue is all of your nav maps are going to be 5+ years old and probably no updates available.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is becoming an annoyance. I don't want to lose that HEV screen, however it was better than a broken nav like i had. Either way it should be on Ford to make my vehicle like it was when i bought it. I'll keep pinging the dealer.

Appreciate the info!
I seem to recall that it is US law that manufacturers continue to support a car with parts for 10 years. However, I'm not sure if that applies to audio systems - it may just be mechanical.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Fully knowing this thread is 2+ years old, was hoping there was still some knowledge floating around here.

My 08 FEH nav system had it's map DVD drive go bad. The dealer swapped out the whole nav unit, however they cannot seem to program it into "hybrid mode". When the 3+6 configuration status screen is shown, it always displays HEV as disabled, and the "HEV" energy flow/mpg screen is missing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how the dealer programs my car as a hybrid? They cannot seem to figure it out. They had the VCM plugged in, but none of the options on their screens had any "hybrid" or "HEV" options.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom
I think if you follow the way to allow nav input while driving in this thread
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-moving-27740/
there is also something that turns the HEV display on or off. I'm not sure and I'm not able to check mine right now but it seems like I remember seeing something like that somewhere in all the screens when I was in that programming mode.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
I think if you follow the way to allow nav input while driving in this thread
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-moving-27740/
there is also something that turns the HEV display on or off. I'm not sure and I'm not able to check mine right now but it seems like I remember seeing something like that somewhere in all the screens when I was in that programming mode.

Excellent find, I will do some more poking around tonight... But in my 10 minutes of poking around there did not appear to be an HEV option.

That "sensors" screen was pretty cool though!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

My Mercury Mariner 08 Hybrid Nav System stopped working. First stated that the disk was not compatible. Same disk that has always been used. Then when I popped it out, cleaned, and put back in nav system states an error that the Nav System is unavailable. The dvd sounded like it was spinning the disk instead of reading it. Does that mean that the DVD drive has probably worn out and will have to be replaced? Can the DVD drive be taken out and repaired? All other functions seem to work fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: NAV system for 08 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands