NAV system for 08 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default NAV system for 08 FEH

Hey all,

My 08 FEH didn't come with a factory NAV system (I bought it used back in July) and wanted to see if anyone has ever put a factory NAV system in after the fact.

My understanding is that the wiring is already in place to support the system though I may need to add a GPS antenna for it. I also know that i'd need to likely get a software update for it in order to support the hybrid display stuff.

Any comments? I'm on the hunt for a unit now and they're not easy to find, either on ebay or kijiji so it may take a bit :/

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV system for 08 FEH

When I purchased my '09 and expressed interest in having a FEH with nav instead, I was told, although it's possible to install the factory nav ($2,000), it probably was prohibitive due to the cost and labor. At the time, it would have taken 6+ months to order one and mine was on the lot with everything else I would have wanted (except not my first color choice).

Have you checked out the aftermarket navs with large screens?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wbonville
Hey all,

My 08 FEH didn't come with a factory NAV system (I bought it used back in July) and wanted to see if anyone has ever put a factory NAV system in after the fact.

My understanding is that the wiring is already in place to support the system though I may need to add a GPS antenna for it. I also know that i'd need to likely get a software update for it in order to support the hybrid display stuff.

Any comments? I'm on the hunt for a unit now and they're not easy to find, either on ebay or kijiji so it may take a bit :/
I did this on my 2008. You do need a wiring harness or two. Don't need new software, just need to change the type to hybrid in the developer screen. Also need a new trim plate, obviously. And you need to get the right radio to start with.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

For what you would spend o the factory dvd nav, you could get a better aftermarket unit and have enough leftover for a weekend getaway. I have cd nav in our FEH and we've never used it.

I have a Garmin unit I bought online for around $150.00 a few years ago and it works better and is never outdated. Plus I take it with me when I travel since it has international cities.

search www.car-part.com . It searches dismantling yards.

Last edited by Jerry&Natalie; 02-19-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a Garmin nuvi in there right now but the hybrid screen on the factory NAV system really appeals to me. I prefer to have an indash unit but we'll see what happens.

Perhaps i'll make a trip down to BestBuy and see what they can do for me.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
Don't need new software, just need to change the type to hybrid in the developer screen.
How do you get in and out of the developer screen?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

I put one in my 2008 FEH right after buying it in August 2007. There is another thread about this same topic here. It is a plug-and-play replacement. THERE IS NO OTHER WIRE HARNESS NEEDED. You will need three things in addition to the nav unit itself. You do need a new bezel plate (cost me around $50 if I remember correctly),an antenna for the GPS receiver in the nav unit (which can be had pretty cheap on e-bay), and the nav DVD (i think the current version if 9P, but I could be wrong). When I bought my nav unit on e-bay, the seller programmed it to display the hybrid screen, but it is something the dealer can probably do for you (just call and ask), but I am pretty sure this requires the use of a VCM, which is a little on th pricey side to buy for one use.

To check if a nav unit is programmed for the HEV input, put the nav unit is "Diagnostic Mode" (this is what someone else referred to as the developer screen) by doing the following:

With the key in the Run (3) position, and the nav unit started up (past the welcome screen), press and hold the 3 and 6 buttons. This will take you into the diagnostic mode. Release the 3 and 6 buttons. It starts with a Speaker Walk Test. Press End Test. Next, press Configuration Status. Scroll down to the HEV line; this line should read "[Enabled]."

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the job. Also, I have the factory service manuals and have a lot of the sections for this job digitized, if you need them.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've been hunting through ebay for the NAV unit but alas, they're not easy to come across. Any recommendations for a good aftermarket unit? I've considered the Pioneer AVIC service but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Kenwood uses Garmin navigation for their head units. I have a Kenwood and also found its built-in Bluetooth phone system works well. Plus you can get HD Radio, Sirius, and a back up camera with it if you want to go nuts. Playing DVD movies is fun too!
Most of the aftermarket radio companies have navigation units, but check on how easy/expensive it is to update their maps.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Enthusiast

I had this reasearch of some nav:
Mio Digiwalker C230(<$180)
Garmin Street Pilot C340
Garmin Nuvi 250(<$250)
Navigon 2100 (<$250)

And I personally want the Navigon or Mio. The Navigon has reality view and shows a 3D image like you're driving on the highway. The mio is just cheaper.

Quick Reply: NAV system for 08 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands