My 1st oil change at home at 10K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Talking My 1st oil change at home at 10K miles.

Oil change went good, except the removing the oil filter cap to change the filter. hehehe got oil all over garage floor, forgot to move the pan under the filter. Wife give a ear full over that.

Checked the battery air filter and it was very dirty, surprised me. I would say if you live in dusty area like I do the filter may need to be changed more during summer when it is very hot here. My napa store here will have 2 of them ready for me to pick up in couple hours at just over $17 each.

Engine air filter looked good, but will change it at 20K.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My 1st oil change at home at 10K miles.

Oil changes are easy in these cars, aren't they?

I change my battery filter every 10k miles. Cheap insurance against a potential battery failure and even worse, a denied warranty claim.

The manual says to check at 10k, change at 20k. I guess it is kind of subjective whether it is dirty enough to need changing.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

I was surprised it was as easy has a normal car. I had a free oil change at the dealer that sold it to me at 4800 miles so i used full syn oil this time and hope it looks good enough to last 10000 miles.
The battery filter, think I will check it at 5000 miles and use light air pressure to clean it a little and change at 10000 miles.
Overall am very impressed with mileage, considering wife drives it 90% of the time. She gets app 35-37 mpg in city.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

got oil all over garage floor, forgot to move the pan under the filter.

A simple way to avoid making a mess on the garage floor is to place an old vinyl shower curtain or large piece of plastic sheeting on the floor under the car before starting to work.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronsfastl
Oil change went good, except the removing the oil filter cap to change the filter. hehehe got oil all over garage floor, forgot to move the pan under the filter. Wife give a ear full over that.

Checked the battery air filter and it was very dirty, surprised me. I would say if you live in dusty area like I do the filter may need to be changed more during summer when it is very hot here. My napa store here will have 2 of them ready for me to pick up in couple hours at just over $17 each.

Engine air filter looked good, but will change it at 20K.
Where is the battery air filter? Is it on the left side (back) window? I can pop off the siding and it looks like there is a black box with something in it held in place by 2-3 nuts... Am I in the right place?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Where is the battery air filter? Is it on the left side (back) window? I can pop off the siding and it looks like there is a black box with something in it held in place by 2-3 nuts... Am I in the right place?

Sounds like you're in the right place. Drivers side of the rear cargo area, there's an access panel about a little bigger than a hand. Remove that panel and you will see the black plastic air box. There is another 4" long rectangular cover held on by a tab at each end (no nuts). Gently push back the tabs and pull the cover off. You will now be able to remove the filter.

I use the WIX 24477 from O'Reillys. Here's a thread with more info: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-filter-20266/

Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds like in the right area, MyPart's got it, no nuts, just 2 tabs (top & bottom if I recall), pops off, and filter is there.

Check eBay time to time, I got a great deal on a new K&N (for a motorcycle I believe, look in the sticky thread) for like $25ish (pay back in 1.5 yrs vs paper & "green" as no trash)

I wouldn't mind doing oil changes myself, but the way I figure now, the cost of dealer special (Last one I think was $15-$20) vs my buying oil, filter, time, and finding a way to dispose of old oil it's cheaper to just have the dealer do it. Then it's in thier computers for no disputes if it ever came to it.