HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My 1st Oil Change / Service at Home

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default My 1st Oil Change / Service at Home

Well, I have finally gotten around to changing the oil and filters for the first time on my HCHII '06 at home.

Things could not have been any simpler... doing the service at home guarantees that at least that the proper oil is being put into my car. The last time I took my car to the dealer for service - my mpg dropped considerably!!

Also, my dealer wanted something like $80 to change the interior air filter. I don't know what they are smoking - but it took only a minute to change and the filter costs less than $14.

I think I am going to continue doing my own service - except for when I need to rotate the tires.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My 1st Oil Change / Service at Home

I have been doing it for years. You get the satisfaction of knowing it was done correctly.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Why don't you want to rotate your tires? It is so simple, just raise to car from the front jack point. That will allow the car to be raised high enough that both front and rear wheels are off of the ground.

Just be sure to torque the wheel bolts when done.

It just takes an additional 15-20 minutes to rotate the tires.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dumb questions:

What kind of jack are you using to get the car up that high?

How do you torque the tires? Do you use a torque wrench or air tools?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The jack in the trunk will allow you to get the car high enough, or you can use a floor jack.

To torque the wheel nuts you need a torque wrench, or you can tighten them "by calibrated arm" and then stop by any tire dealership and ask them to check it with an actual wrench. Most dealerships will do that gratis.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

For the life of me... I cannot imagine how you are rotating the tires by just lifting the car in the front with a jack.

Are you using any type of stands to hold the car up?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Well, then try it and see for yourself. Remember the CG of the car is up around the A pillar so lifting it from the front lift point, lifts the entire car. Be sure to set the emergency brake, and if you want, loosen the wheel bolts before you raise the car.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Well, then try it and see for yourself. Remember the CG of the car is up around the A pillar so lifting it from the front lift point, lifts the entire car. Be sure to set the emergency brake, and if you want, loosen the wheel bolts before you raise the car.
I'm assuming you are referring to the front jack points on the side of the car? Not the front jack point located just behind the front bumper between the two front wheels?

Just realized this was my first post here, thought I had posted before in the past. So, hello all

Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

yes, the front side jack points.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

I changed the wheels on my HCHII myself, jacking up the car from the front jack point does indeed raise the whole car allowing you to remove both tires on the side being jacked up. The provided jack is fine but it takes a lot of turns to get the car up I prefer the pump style jack. Lugs should be tightened to 80lbs if I remember correctly...its in the manual.

I've been thinking of doing routine maintenance myself too. A few questions...

Any tips for changing oil in the HCHII?
How do you change the cabin air filter?
How often should it be changed?
I noticed that last time I took the car in for service they lubed or greased up the door hinges using some white lube, any idea what that is and how often that should be done?

Quick Reply: My 1st Oil Change / Service at Home

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands