Costs for 5k 10k, 20k miles service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Costs for 5k 10k, 20k miles service?

The recommended service for an '09 AWD FEH are:
Current Service: 5000
• Perform multi-point inspection
• Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise

Next Service: 10000
• Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 quarts of oil. Perform at specified mileage interval or every 6 months, whichever occurs first)
• Inspect wheel ends for end play and noise
• Inspect high voltage battery A/C filter

Next Service: 20000
• Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 quarts of oil. Perform at specified mileage interval or every 6 months, whichever occurs first)
• Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
• Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
• Inspect engine and motor/electrical cooling systems and hoses
• Replace high voltage battery A/C filter
• Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
• Inspect wheel ends for end play and noise
• Inspect high voltage battery A/C filter
What have you paid when you took your vehicle in for any these services? I'm guessing an oil change at a Ford dealer is $25-30, and the additional inspections are above and beyond the base oil change pride?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Costs for 5k 10k, 20k miles service?

Can't answer the others, but I just did an oil change after I got a 'coupon' from a local dealer for like $15, ($17.90 after tax) and no fine print of Hybrid exclusions! And some of their locations included a free wash, sadly that was across town from where I was
I got lucky I guess and snaged a K&N ac filter on ebay for like $25-30 shipped, most paper ones rance from $17+
I get my tires rotated & balance at Wally, it was like a one time charge of $20-30 for lifetime

Last edited by 08hybridok; 01-27-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

We got the prepaid service package for our '08 MMH (Dec. '07) and it was about $800. I didn't realize at the time, but I've been told by Mercury that the package just covers the "big" 10K services & oil changes. Also, because we use synthetic oil, I was told to just change the oil every 10K miles.

I asked the dealer about tire rotations every 5K miles, and was told that the "in between" changes (ie, 5K, 15K, etc.) weren't part of the service package. So, I just have that done at a local tire store for about $15-$20. The rotations are covered during the "major" services, though.

I used to have a 2002 Mercury Sable station wagon (not a hybrid, of course!) that also used synthetic oil. I'd change that every 5K - 7K miles, and it was usually $50-$60 for an oil change because of the synthetic oil.

-Melissa

Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I buy my own Mobile One 5w-20 oil at Sams and do the oil changes myself. 6 Quarts is about $33. Replace the oil filter yourself for cheap and buy a K/N lifetime air filter for ~$40.

Outside of the 30/60/90K services everything else is an inspection that can be done by looking at it yourself. There is no reason to pay a sealership to do that for you (as most don't even do it anyway and just give you a paper that says everything is okay).

Last edited by trekwars2000; 01-28-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mel2001
We got the prepaid service package for our '08 MMH (Dec. '07) and it was about $800. I didn't realize at the time, but I've been told by Mercury that the package just covers the "big" 10K services & oil changes. Also, because we use synthetic oil, I was told to just change the oil every 10K miles.
Well that is a hell of a service package that only covers half of the scheduled services as per the owners manual.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My Ford dealer charges me $27.99 + taxes/fees (about $31 total) for the 10k mile services/oil changes and throws in all of the inspections with that fee. Ford's own oil is semi-synthetic.
It's in the dealer's interest to do all the inspections they can while your car is there in order to write up more profitable services. My Ford service writer mentioned that some of the 'book' services that Ford writes are generic to all vehicles going back a long time (such as suspension lube) and not always applicable to the FEH.
A lesser known advantage of the hybrid is lower maintenance requirements than conventional vehicles. Dealers will still try to sell conventional vehicle servicing to hybrid drivers, though!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
A lesser known advantage of the hybrid is lower maintenance requirements than conventional vehicles. Dealers will still try to sell conventional vehicle servicing to hybrid drivers, though!
Yep, I'm finding this out myself. When I called to schedule a 5K oil change, the guy at the dealership didn't know what was needed for a hybrid and had to put me on hold to find out!

We bought our MMH from a Mercury dealer that used to have two locations in our county, but the one closest to me closed recently and the remaining one is a good 35-40 miles from me. I'm sure I can take my car to a Ford dealership...I just haven't taken the time to call about it yet.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've had the 5/10/20/30K mile services done by dealerships (4 different dealers, actually). The price has been pretty comparable to local shops once you factor in the non-standard oil upgrade(multi-blend/semi-synthetic).

Each oil change has had an incorrect "Next oil change" date/mileage sticker on the windshield (3K once and 5K another time) so you have to be careful that the oil life counter has been reset on the display console (not hard to miss if it hasn't been, since the reminders are plentiful).

I have seen them do the multi-point inspection (including the battery air filter as evident by the dirty finger smudge left behind) which is nice.

I have changed my own battery and ICE air filters and I also installed a cabin air filter as well. I don't see the need for paying the dealer markup on these easy, user serviceable items.

I haven't decided if I'll continue to go to the dealership for maintenance once I pass the 36,000mi point. I also haven't decided if I'm going to extend my factory warranty either. While I know dealership service isn't required, I can't help but think it would help if there ever is a warranty issue. It's nice that the dealership puts the maintenance visit into their computer system so Ford knows it was done.