Miles To Empty

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Default Re: Miles To Empty

Originally Posted by GaryG
VARIBLE-DIAMETER PULLEYS? I've read most of the Ford patents on the eCVT and never heard of such a part in the FEH eCVT.
I think Nightracerx was talking about a CTV that Ford does use in some of their vehicles, and not an eCVT (Electronically Controlled Variable Transmission).
Ford has an article at CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION (CVT)
Strange that this was brought up because when I purchased my FEH over a year ago the salesman had no clue as to how the eCVT worked and talked about V-belts and pulleys.

There is also any article at Answers.com about the different types of CVTs. The eCVT is totally different and is used because you are using power from two different sources.
Plus from Ford:

• A special electronically controlled, continuously variable transmission (eCVT) harnesses internal combustion and electric power sources to drive the front wheels in a FWD Escape or all four wheels with the optional Intelligent 4WD System™. This component is integral with the generator motor.
  • An electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (eCVT). A planetary gear set connects the drive wheels to the gasoline engine and electric traction motor, so that the vehicle can move on any combination of electric and gasoline power, depending on what is most efficient at that instant.
I know there is a lot more (and deeper explanation) - but this is the short answer.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 04-08-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Good find Phillip, I didn't know Ford was already using that type of CVT on the Freestyle. Anyway, I still think it is safe to use "N" while coasting in the FEH. Has anyone found anything that says the freestyle or any Ford CVT could have a problem gliding in "N"? This may be a factor in me buying future Ford Hybrids because there is a 38% increase in drag gliding in "D" in the FEH. Gliding in "N" is a big factor in my FE numbers.

GaryG

Old 04-08-2006, 01:35 PM
04 prius 350,000km

yes electronic vs mechanical! electronic wins interesting that the MANUAL says its safe to use N so the book doesn't lie folks!

The juicy MPG is there, you just have to use your right hand more often. Oh c'mon its easier than driving stick at least I KNOW

Old 04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My sig picture below shows 715 MTE with 30 miles already on the tank...
Gary,

I really have to ask you to stop rubbing our noses in it with your obviously digitally edited pictures.

Maybe a more appropriate signature would be if you just put in great big letters

Who's Yo' Daddy?!

Or something subtle like that.....

I'm telling ya', and you can say you heard it here first, one morning Gary will find his FEH reclaimed by the aliens who made it. There is no way he has the same car I do......

Congrats, man. Keep it up. I want to see if the MTE goes to 4 digits.

Ray

Old 04-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Didn't Gary tell you he cut a hole in the floor so he can get a running start ala Fred Flintstone?

He has the same car as all of us, just very unconventional driving styles and a route he can use it on.

I'll back up the data. I've been able to keep up 60+ MPG in city driving, under ideal conditions. Fact is, not many of us have ideal conditions day in and day out.

I still say EVERYONE should be able to make EPA numbers, with very little effort.
If you're below EPA, you're just not trying at all!

I can't get 60 MPG on a routine basis, but I can beat EPA with my eyes closed.
( In theory )

Old 04-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Didn't Gary tell you he cut a hole in the floor so he can get a running start ala Fred Flintstone?

I still say EVERYONE should be able to make EPA numbers, with very little effort.
If you're below EPA, you're just not trying at all!

I can't get 60 MPG on a routine basis, but I can beat EPA with my eyes closed.
( In theory )

LOL!

Oh, I think most of us have been able to get good stints, I have part of a route that's about 8 miles, where I almost always average 50 MPGs the entire route, and 10 miles that I average 40+ MPGs in in good weather conditions. The problem is that Michigan weather doesn't always like to co-operate, and I drive more than those two roads. Heck, during the late summer I didn't have a tank under 34.2 MPGs. (It's those 28 and 29 Winter tanks... )

That said, I really do wonder about people who don't get at least EPA. Correction, who don't get EPA and wonder why they can't get EPA. This week, by some twist of fate, I saw 2 FEHs on the road. FEH 1, green w/ appearance package; army plate (or was it Navy?). I tried to get beside him to wave at him, but he accelerated hard, braked hard, and I got too far behind him. FEH 2, green w/ appearance package; blue state plate. Going ~85 MPH on I-94 with a ladder on the roof. Blew past my CC at 65 MPH. I would be quite surprised if either were hypermilers; my guess would be their probably pleased with the MPGs they get.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
my guess would be their probably pleased with the MPGs they get.
More likely they don't even know what they are getting for mileage. The one with the government plate on it is probably a pool car or the operator's official/personal car. Either way, the operator isn't paying for the gas and more than likely doesn't track the mileage. The guy with the ladder obviously doesn't care about mileage either or wouldn't be doing 85....

About the same time I bought my '06 last June, a coworker of mine was looking to get rid of his Ram 2500 for something more fuel efficient. I told him about the FEH but he ended up with a Liberty instead. I asked him yesterday how the mileage was in it. He said he didn't know. "Better than the truck" was all he could come up with. If I bought a car to improve mileage, I would at least track a tank now and then to see how I did....I think his mentality is the prevailing one unfortunately. Just drive it and put gas in it when it is low.

Three bucks a gallon coming soon. People are going to start to care again.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 AM

Got a taste of the summer heat yesterday and don't know how long the wife will put up with no A/C. The warm weather helps with cold starts and allows me to drive in EV under 2 miles away from my home. I alway manage to park for the night with a drained battery and the cold starts just about recharge to full for a good mile of EV to my beach roads (about 3 miles away). If I head North on Jupiter Island, I'm good for 62-68mpg depending on traffic and wind. If I head South to West Palm Beach, I'm good for 58-64mpg depending on traffic and wind. The other day I passed an FEH on Jupiter Island going the other way and he was waving like he knew it was me. Wonder if he has been reeding my post?

My goal is to reach a 72mpg RT, and double EPA which xcel did in the Prius at 120mpg. Although, I know xcel has learned a few things since that time, I'm sure he would beat that now.

From looking at the MTE gauge, max should be 999 miles. If I can stay at 67mpg for a few tanks, I could max that gauge out. This would be possible on a race track with no traffic to deal with, but that would be like going nowhere slow. On my last tank, I was holding 57-58mpg after a cold start for a good while (60miles) until I got on some 55mph 2 lane roads with heavey traffic. This brought my tank average to 54.9mpg. There is no question in my mind that a 850 MTE sig page will be posted here unless I get ban from posting.

The FWD FEH is the perfect SUV for me and the So. Florida coast.

GaryG

Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Wonder if he has been reeding my post?
More likely he's just waving to a fellow hybrid owner. Like I tried to do.

There is no question in my mind that a 850 MTE sig page will be posted here unless I get ban from posting.

The FWD FEH is the perfect SUV for me and the So. Florida coast.

GaryG
Now why would that happen? Unless you mean a ban from your wife. You think I'd ban you for having a picture like that? (LOL, now I have an image of me banning everyone who gets better MPGs then myself, so I'd be King of the FEHs! )

Anyway, Ray, you misunderstand. The Navy plate guy was a Michigan plate, we've got a program where you can get special logos on your plate, U of M, MSU, Lighthouses, Kids, Veterans and military, etc. Special logos on the plate and some of the money goes to support said cause. The plate was a Navy plate like that, the driver was a civilian, and based on where he was going, I'd guess lives in the area.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Now why would that happen? Unless you mean a ban from your wife. You think I'd ban you for having a picture like that?
I think you should ban him for making us all look bad. He's like that smart kid in school who always ruined it for the rest of us when the teacher gave a hard test and everyone bombed but him. Kidding of course. It's great to know what the car can do so the rest of us have something to compare against.

Ray, you misunderstand. The Navy plate guy was a Michigan plate, we've got a program where you can get special logos on your plate, U of M, MSU, Lighthouses, Kids, Veterans and military, etc.
I understand now. We have more of those special plates appearing all the time. I was up in the air if I should get a Navy, Army or Air Force plate (been in all three, Air Force Reserve now), so I just got a plain old Veteran plate. Although I bet a 2004 World Champ Red Sox plate would look good on the '05......

More likely he's just waving to a fellow hybrid owner. Like I tried to do.
I gave a quick beep and a wave to a guy driving a FEH the other day as he was waiting to get on the road - got a one-finger salute in return. Guess all of us aren't the happy friendly type.....

I am headed to the Gulf Coast for a couple months so if I don't have internet access down there, see ya'll when I get back.

Ray

Quick Reply: Miles To Empty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands