Miles To Empty

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Default Re: Miles To Empty

Hi Roberta

We all are new to the FEH and I got email asking the same questions you asked. Go to my article again http://www.cleanmpg.com/ because I just explained the fake shift a little better. The speed you pulse up to depends on the speed of traffic. In my 70mpg segment, the max speed was 35mph in "L" to go EV Glide. If you have faster traffic, glide from above that speed but the higher speeds reduce FE. At 43mph in "L" is when I go EV at 40mph for the max EV speed glide in "N".

GaryG

Old 04-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Question Re: Miles To Empty

Edited Qute
Originally Posted by GaryG
If you care to read my reply, you can find it in my article on "Hypermiling The FEH" at http://www.cleanmpg.com/

GaryG
Hi Gary -

Still looking forward to getting to FL mid summer and will let you know the specifics when “I” do know them, you know how it is, We Men are the last to know - would very much like to meet you and see the master in action . Plus would like to plug the ScanGuage into my 4WD and see what the differences are, if any.

I use the fake shift all the time to give the battery a quick hard shot of juice. I have noticed a slight give/play if I let off the gas quickly so I have started to use a slightly slower letup on the pedal. Looking at the charge/assist meter the charge goes just as deep and I don’t feel the – I guess the best way to describe it is ‘Slack’.

In your statement over on cleanMPG '
Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid' http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 "The ICE burns more fuel turning the generator with a low SoC (state of charge) of the HV battery. This is because the battery can take a faster charge at the lower level causing the ICE/generator to work at maximum load."

In stead of saying ‘a faster charge’ - Would it be stated wrong in saying, 'that the lower the SoC the bigger the load put on the ICE to charge the battery, thus more fuel used at this level, but as the SoC increases the load on the ICE decreases proportionally, thus you instant FE increases as the SoC increases. At full SoC the ICE is not used at all to charge the battery - this is where you get your best FE while/if using the ICE.'

Just a question, but if I am completely wrong about the concept of 'Battery Management' - Let me know - Sure You Will .

Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 PM

It's much better the way you put it Phillip. Responded already on cleanmpg though.

GaryG

Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
Edited Qute

Hi Gary -

Still looking forward to getting to FL mid summer and will let you know the specifics when “I” do know them, you know how it is, We Men are the last to know - would very much like to meet you and see the master in action . Plus would like to plug the ScanGuage into my 4WD and see what the differences are, if any.

LOL, maybe Gary should organize a driving clinic, so we can all go and learn from him.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Hey Rich

You know if you had my conditions, you would be working on ways to improve FE when you got the chance. If I let you drive my FEH here, you would most likely kick my butt any day of the week in it. You guys must have figured out that I'm a very small man (110 lbs wet) that has to carry a big stick to fend off those big guy's in big trucks who ride my tailgate, and also my wife who demands the A/C.

The fake shift is not the only fake thing I use. The fake bumper sticker that says "IF YOUR HURT OR INJURED, CALL MY LAW OFFICE" works real well. When I slam on the brakes to my FEH because of a tailgater, they back off! WAY OFF! They soon find out with the person now riding their tail, just how I felt.

Anyway, you don't want me as a instructor, LOL

GaryG

Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That's funny about the sticker. Now tell me you are serious.
( I can't be too sure after the bicycle incident. )

Are you serious about the 110# also?
If so, you have even more advantage then me.
Me + lunchbox + work tools = twice that.

-John

Old 04-28-2006, 03:47 PM

You got me John, I'm not 110lbs and I made up the bumper sticker to go along with my attemp to say, no one is perfect to Rich. When I pick up on an idea, I experiment with it more than most, because I have the time. Same thing with driving the slower roads, I have the time. Very few that read these post will ever be in my position, and will never have a 700 MTE. The point I try to get across is, if I have found ways to push the FEH to a 700 MTE, some may want to know how to do it on a smaller scale to bring their 350 MTE up, and save at the pump. There are times I have to drive like everyone else when I'm in a hurry, I just have the time to make up for it later.

Today, I got the chance to use some of my new techniques more in the general flow of traffic all over West Palm Beach. Now, I didn't get 70+MPG, but I had the highest averages I've ever had on those roads in the past. Not going to rub my mileage number in this forums face, but I'm saving money at the pump. The information I posted on CleanMPG could have been my secret, or my gift to everyone to share and improve. The fact is, I've shared everything I know about the FEH, and paid a price tring to keep my message clear. It's alright though, many times I found I was not right and the research I had to do helped me learn something important.

Phillip had told me he was going to be in central Florida in June, and I suggested meeting him ther so I can do some comparing between the FWD and his AWD. Phillip is not coming down for a class, he was already coming. He and I will share what we find here, and I hope some of you would be interested in what we find. Both our FEH's are well broke in so this should prove to be interesting. Phillip is close to hitting 40MPG and I will put it though a good test if he will let me.

GaryG

Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 PM
04 prius 350,000km

geekgal or pravious prime, let me drive your FEH in your commute and I can gareentee I'll smash your segments with no problems. I'm cocky for a reason because I'm the **** when it comes to driving efficently. Everywhere I go trying to convince people there is a way but people are good at not believing, it just sickens me when that happens and it happens way too often.

Then again if it gets your blood boiling from my comments for you to get a better mpg then congrats I have done my job to make the air cleaner!

Good luck folks.

Btw I've read too many related Ford Escape hybrid articles to know what to expect when driving one (sometime in the future perhaps?) but personally I think "hypermiling" experience teaches you more than trying to "master" a car/SUV for mileage.

ok extragged, maybe if your FEH was where I drove around then yes i'll smash your segements easily! But then again remember area is pretty important and where I live aggressive drivers are A TON and dealing with them is the hardest part.

Last edited by philmcneal; 04-29-2006 at 12:48 PM.