Kill switch for the ICE

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Kill switch for the ICE

Originally Posted by GaryG

With the FS power surge to the battery from regen, I brought the idea to shift to neutral for the longest coast. I shift as soon as I see the bounce of the tach, which indicates the FEH is going EV during a FS. Deadbanding is a joke no matter what some say, I've done it.

and

My post about the neutral disconnect made GPSman1 ban me from posting on the Yahoo site because he disagreed.

GaryG
You were banned from Yahoo for #1 posting lies, and #2 posting theories as fact. And you were gently asked to post opinions as opinions. Opinions are always welcome. You just mis-lead readers sometimes, that's all. I'm sure most of it is unintentional.

It is your burden to provide PROOF ( a picture would do the trick ) of the mechanical neutral disconnect you sing praises of, since it is impossible for me to take a picture of something that does not exist. You have never ever provided such proof. Sorry, a snippit here and a vague reference there, and some obscure "patent office" document proves nothing, other than some engineer, at some point in the past, discussed an idea. The burden is on you to prove your case. I also believe you do not understand all the terminology you read and how it is used, and many of your posts support this. I know getting great MPG is one of your strengths, but language and grammar is not. And that's alright. Pobody's nerfect!

You also seem to not understand the "deadband" coasting method, or how to do it and use it. Let me describe it to you again so you can try it at home.

Tests I did over a year ago:

#1 Placed my front tires on a chalk line at the top of a steep ( 12% ) paved road. Placed the FEH into neutral, turned off the key (FAS), released the brake, and coasted to a dead stop. Total distance was about 3/4 mile. Marked resting point of front tires with chalk line on pavement.

#2 Placed my front tires on same chalk line at the top of the same hill. Kept the FEH in "run" and was in EV but no FAS. Placed the FEH into neutral, released the brake and coasted to a dead stop. The resting point of the front tires was 5 feet short of test #1 above. This = identical results when you consider 5 feet out of 3/4 mile.

#3 Placed my front tires on the same chalk line at the top of the same hill.
Kept the FEH in run, and was in EV but no FAS. Placed the FEH into drive, released the brake, started rolling, and watched the Navi to keep "deadband" or no energy flow arrows on screen. Deadband is achievable by pressing the gas pedal about 2mm to cancel out all regen. At the bottom of the hill, I shifted to neutral at 7 mph to avoid the "creep" at 6mph and under, that would assist my distance. I rolled to a dead stop and marked the position of my front wheels. I stopped about 15 feet further than line #1. This = identical results when you consider 15 feet out of 3/4 mile.

#4 Placed my front tires on the same chalk line at the top of the same hill. Kept the ICE running via Max A/C on. Placed the FEH into drive, released the brake, started rolling, and watched the Navi to keep "deadband" conditions. Again, shifted to neutral at 7mph to avoid "creep" and rolled to a dead stop. This time my front wheels stopped 35-40 feet further than line #1. Better coast? Or did I get some assist? Probably the second, but still, 40 feet out of 4000 feet is 1% and statistically close enough to be called equal to all the other tests.

Conclusions:

Coasting in a "deadband" condition in drive ( no regen, no assist ) is the same as coasting in neutral.

Coasting in Drive without ~2mm pedal press will cause mild regen, and slow you down. Thus coasting in neutral is easier for the human driver.

Coasting deadband may be difficult, to near impossible to do consistantly without the Nav screen.

There is no mechanical difference between coasting in drive, and coasting in neutral. The only difference is how the electronics make the car behave.

Since then, if I need to coast for less than 1/2 a mile, I coast deadband and get fantastic city results, like 54 MPG and up in favorable weather. I do it every day. If I have a long mountain to coast down, I'll shift to N just for ease of use, so I can relax my foot. Either way, I get the same MPG as GaryG under similar conditions.

There is no mechanical advantage to neutral coasting. Believe me, I've spent more time and effort on this than anyone. I live in a hilly region and have daily opportunities to practice various coasting methods. If there were an obvious advantage to neutral coasting I'd be using it. I'm still not #1 on the mileage database, so I know I have room to improve!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
I have to thank Gary G. for his latest post. He and other "experienced" Escape Hybrid users/posters have provided a ton of information that can not be obtained from the salespersons at the dealerships. I would hope Ford Motor Company is listening to these individuals and utilize their research in the near future.

Why can't our experienced posters be sponsored by FMC and/or a dealership(s) in conducting bi-monthly "ask the experts" on-line forums?
Thanks BillyK

I'm sure Ford has people monitoring this site, but they are not interested in what I know about a vehicle they designed. Ford can't hide their patents though. As far as my techniques, I sure they stay up on how we operate the FEH/MMH for future mods.

As you can see from the last few post, two posters have responded negatively to my first post back to this board in a while. The first response called me names and the moderator ignored it. This is why I don't expect to post here much longer. The so called new member is pretending to be a first time poster without an FEH/MMH. This is a poster from the "other side", and should be banned for creating other ID's for creating confusion here on GH. Name calling is a violation of the rules of this site. Banning this individual may also ban the "other side" member with the same computer address. If they come back under their old name, their post will start as their first post. I call on the moderator to take action now.

The Owner of the FEH yahoo site was disappointed in GPSman1's ban of me and ask me to return. I'm still undecided till I see the owner gets him under control. The same for this site.

GaryG

Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Please try to stay on topic.
I spoke with the owner/starter of the Yahoo group weeks ago and told him he should invite GaryG back to post after a few days of cool down. End of story.

Last edited by gpsman1; 06-04-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

As you can see from the last few post, two posters have responded negatively to my first post back to this board in a while. The first response called me names and the moderator ignored it. This is why I don't expect to post here much longer. The so called new member is pretending to be a first time poster without an FEH/MMH. This is a poster from the "other side", and should be banned for creating other ID's for creating confusion here on GH. Name calling is a violation of the rules of this site. Banning this individual may also ban the "other side" member with the same computer address. If they come back under their old name, their post will start as their first post. I call on the moderator to take action now.
You call on action? How about you use the button within the problematic post to actually, you know, get action?

Secondly, I ignored it? Did you somehow get access to all the private messages sent and recieved on this board? Did you get access to the infraction system? I'm not going to discuss with you what actions are or are not going to be taken, but to state that I ignored it is factually false.

Thirdly, if you suspect that a member is using multiple ID's, again, why not report it? This is a violation of GH's rules.

Again, if anyone here has a problem with another user, report it to the mod staff. Sometimes the action will be swift, and sometimes it will wait for the problematic users response.

Perhaps you need to take a deep breath and relax a bit. Recall your own words: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...00&postcount=4 the last sentence may be helpful to remember.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-04-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome back Gary! I hope you enjoyed your brief retirement. Now get back to work boosting everyone's FE.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Thanks Brady

Lets see what our moderator does before I continue?

GaryG

Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

The only wrath you brought to this board is for me to stop posting due to your complaints to the moderator. Most of us are interested in saving gas and pollution. The "other side" (I guess your side) wants to complain about new ideas to save fuel because you don't offer any.
Where to begin...(normally I'd let this sort of thing slide, but my name is mentioned here too many times)

I never complained to the moderator about you. I just PM'nd him a few minutes ago to ask if I have behaved incorrectly here.

I don't understand why you keep taking my opinion (yes, my opinion, I never said it was gospel) as a personal attack. My opinion, in one sentence, is that sometimes you have to sacrifice some fuel economy for safety. Where one draws that line is up to the individual.

You quoted my message with ideas on saving gas and say that I give no ideas. RIDE A BIKE! DOUBLE-UP ON TRIPS! These are not original, but try it, they do work.

I'm responsible for giving this board a lot of fuel saving ideas. Lets look at just some of these so called non-safety techniques that I've brought here:
I think I've said enough nice things about you and your reports to improve fuel efficency. You've on more than one occasion taken a legitimate question from me and turned it into some kind of personal attack so it is sometimes difficult to discuss things in a productive manner.

1. The fake shift (FS) in "L" to get a super fast charge to prolong EV driving. Someone brought up lately that they don't notice this super charge in their '08. Try completely running the HV battery down in EV till you know your restart is from a low battery SoC. If you can do this at 25-30mph, begin a FS in "L" right away. If the engine begins to go EV again during this power surge, the '08 has the same regen as the other models. I try to get a few seconds of regen charge before going EV, and accelerate to do a second FS at my target speed (35-40mph). I always have enough charge to go EV during the second FS. If the '08 does not go EV during the second FS about ten seconds later, Ford must have toned down regen in "L".

2. With the FS power surge to the battery from regen, I brought the idea to shift to neutral for the longest coast. I shift as soon as I see the bounce of the tach, which indicates the FEH is going EV during a FS. Deadbanding is a joke no matter what some say, I've done it.

3. Accelerate when possible at 1800rpm's, this was my recommendation to P&G (pulse and glide or the same as accelerate and coast) the FEH/MMH.
All good, as many of us have noted (even from the dreaded "other side").

4. Many posters before me have discussed drafting, so that is not what I brought to the table first. I've found there is a reasonable safe distance to draft and improve mileage though.
I agree that there is a safe drafting distance. If you look back at my comments, they were when examples of hugging the rig were brought up. Again, my comments, which were usually about someone else (but you took it personally anyway because you seem to like doing that) were taken to the extreme and you got huffy.

5. Also, I was the first person who contacted Ron Delong at Scangauge and found they had just programmed the SG to work with Hybrids and the FEH. Not that big a deal, but for FEH owners here, this put us on the cutting edge of hypermiling in a SUV. Many FEH/MMH owners took my recommendation and have one now.

6. Look down at my MTE picture. People have PM'ed me and said that picture inspired them to purchase a FEH/MMH. Now I see the AWD breaking into the 600 MTE. Way to go!

7. It appears my recommendation of driving with the climate control in the off position lead to many complaining to the moderator about my post to TeeSter. Simply saying he was missing something after I posted this information many times, the "Other Side" got all fired up. I had quoted the Service Manual with the page and section for this information, but the other side still question my post. Finally, when I pointed out that the main engine coolant pump was mechanical, and the heater pump runs in EV if the climate control is in any position but off, people understood the system much better. Why run the heater pump and burn energy if you don't need to.
I think this is a classic example of others needing more explanation from you because they can't read your mind, and youu taking it as a personal attack rather than an open discussion, albeit sometimes a bit heated.

Now, after all I shared with this group, this is the thanks I get from the "other side".
What do you want, a medal? Many people contribute to better the world around us and we don't do it for pats on the back. If you are doing this for self gratification, sorry I have not sent you flowers.

The fact is, rcomeau has not tried Key-Off FAS, he just plays the fear card for the "other side". I've stated many times that the steering was normal and not a problem during a Key-Off FAS. rcomeau continues to play the fear card with something he knows nothing about. I ask this group, do you want posters to help you learn how to increase your mileage, or posters who want put the fear of God in you for trying something to save gas and the environment.
I don't need to hit my head with a hammer to prove it will hurt. I work in the medical industry and we generally don't design brain surgery tools to work most of the time, or prove a tool is safe by using it a bunch of times and count the accidents. We should agree to disagree here.

You have your opinion and I have mine, and I'm not gong to rehash it here again. You keep bringing up this "other side". Since we all took the time and spent the extra money to purchase an FEH, we are all obviouly on the same side. If I think SOME of what you do might not be safe, I have the same rights as you to chime in here. The legal disclaimer on the other group wa snot there for nothing. It is because some of these techniques push the enveloppe and they don't want anyone thinking that they endorse these methods.

Just this morning, I started my FEH and within one mile, my SG current average was reading 94mpg. This was with no battery use with EV. Some of you would think this can't be safe, and possibly a down right lie. The truth is, I was leaving downtown WPB where there is a stoplight at almost every block. My battery was at a state of charge (SoC) that if I started the engine, it would be charging with the small generator just to bring a slight bit of green SoC up for quite a while. A few FS solved the low battery problem. When I got home, my SG current trip was at 48.5mpg.
Good for you.

BTW rcomeau, the reason the FEH/MMH steers so good during my Key-Off FAS is because the electric power assist remains on if you return the key back to the run position right away. Now, can you tell this group of any other safety features during Key-Off FAS that won't work the same as they do in EV? I can restart the engine and be accelerating in "D" within a second, just as the FEH/MMH would do going from EV to ICE-On.

I'm the first to try Key-Off FAS that has posted on this and all the other boards I monitor. Just like the list above, this was new ground breaking territory for FEH/MMH owners. I've discovered a way around the problems with bad mileage during your cold winters if you care to try it. Also, for you people that think I must drive slow to get the mileage I do, your wrong. I drive the speed limit and a little higher most of the time.

Anyone can choose to use the techniques I've experienced or not, but claiming things like the power steering will cause you to hit some poor child is ridiculous. Why does there have to be what rcomeau refers to as the "other side"?

GaryG
I thought you invented the "other side". I can't find a reference to it in my posts(unless I missed it somewhere).

Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime

GaryG, rcomeau, if you two want to disagree and argue, do it via PMs and not here in this thread (Unless of course it's about said topic). This thread stays on topic.

Am I the only one who could read this? Bah, this thread is 1 page of questions and 4 pages of arguing.