Kill switch for the ICE

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks
Default Kill switch for the ICE

Any one have an idea on how to make the FEH run EV only?

My wife's drive to work is just under a mile with a speed limit of 40mph, I make her drive 3-5 miles out of the way to get to work everyday just to warm up the engine.

It would be great if she could putt to work and back on EV only, she walks or rides a bike on nice days.

Ideas????

Clif

Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Default Re: Kill switch for the ICE

Originally Posted by Duc
Any one have an idea on how to make the FEH run EV only?

My wife's drive to work is just under a mile with a speed limit of 40mph, I make her drive 3-5 miles out of the way to get to work everyday just to warm up the engine.

It would be great if she could putt to work and back on EV only, she walks or rides a bike on nice days.

Ideas????

Clif
Don't make her drive anymore than she has to Clif.

First of all, when you first start up the FEH/MMH, the electric motors are providing most of the torque, not the ICE. If you can get up to speed (40mph) and glide in neutral, you will use less gas. If your bold enough and really want to save fuel, you can pratice Key-Off FAS on a safe road and try that on the commute once you get the hang of it. No one showed me how to do it and it was a little scary at first, but I feel very comfortable and safe using it now. It's just like EV driving with a switch your not use to turning off and on while your moving. The Nav system energy screen does act funny on a restart for a second or two, but it always goes back to normal with the new adjustments. Don't forget to turn the ignition switch back to run as soon you shut the ICE down.

GaryG

Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by GaryG
Don't make her drive anymore than she has to Clif.

First of all, when you first start up the FEH/MMH, the electric motors are providing most of the torque, not the ICE. If you can get up to speed (40mph) and glide in neutral, you will use less gas. If your bold enough and really want to save fuel, you can pratice Key-Off FAS on a safe road and try that on the commute once you get the hang of it. No one showed me how to do it and it was a little scary at first, but I feel very comfortable and safe using it now. It's just like EV driving with a switch your not use to turning off and on while your moving. The Nav system energy screen does act funny on a restart for a second or two, but it always goes back to normal with the new adjustments. Don't forget to turn the ignition switch back to run as soon you shut the ICE down.

GaryG
Thanks for the ideas, she will try it tomorrow morning. We drove around tonight and tried the FAS but had to start it back up with the key is this normal? I use to do it with standards and regular xmsn's, they would start themselves without the key.
Clif

Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

FAS ( Forced Auto Stop ) or forced engine off via key turn is a BAD idea.

It is NOT the same as EV driving, and not even close. It is false and foolhearty for GaryG to say so. And in Gary's own words, "Saving fuel has become a disease" in his case. It's become an addiction, at the cost of safety.

With the key cycle to off then run, without a "start":

1. You have no power assisted steering
2. You have power brakes for only a limited time
3. You have no ability to accelerate... either to get over a hump, or avoid obstacles
4. Can potentially cause damage to the vehicle. This is one of those cases where an "ops" here and there can be tolerated, but with daily use, you are just asking for a mistake, either by you, or a computer glitch during an unusual condition. You are forceing the car to do something it was not designed for. You are begging for premature failure.
5. LAWSUITS. If you are in a major accident, the black box records the status of the car at the time, and can be retrieved by investigators.
6. Airbags. Airbags are active any time the key is in run. However, what if once, when you are distracted, you forget and leave the key one step down in ACC? A big ops that could cost you your life.
7. The engine is running for a reason. We may not like the reason, or even understand the reason, but it's on for a good reason.
8. I asked some Ford Hybrid engineers about FAS during the invitation only "Open House" event in 2005. To quote: "This practice is not only hazardous, illegal, and potentially damaging to the vehicle, but is also unethical, as it defeats many of the pollution saving measures built into this vehicle. I don't think we can have any further discussion."

That last part I think refers to running the catalyst too cold in this case. Also, the #1 reason why you can't run your car ( any car ) in EV during the first few seconds after a key start is the EPA. EPA rules state that any car is allowed to pollute for x seconds after a start up. I think 90 seconds, but don't quote me on that. EPA basically does not care what goes out the tailpipe in those first 90 seconds. After that, rules apply. ( and there are no exceptions for hybrids ) Literally, you (or Ford ) would be breaking the law if you drove in EV for the allowable "cold start" time, and then started the car and emitted pollution with a cold CAT say 3 minutes down the road, because you are not allowed to pollute 3 minutes down the road, only the first 90 seconds. The Prius EV button is illegal to use in the USA.

Do what you wish. Just please be smart about it.
I can get fantastic results... without ever using FAS. You can too.
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 02-21-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
That last part I think refers to running the catalyst too cold in this case. Also, the #1 reason why you can't run your car ( any car ) in EV during the first few seconds after a key start is the EPA. EPA rules state that any car is allowed to pollute for x seconds after a start up. I think 90 seconds, but don't quote me on that. EPA basically does not care what goes out the tailpipe in those first 90 seconds. After that, rules apply. ( and there are no exceptions for hybrids ) Literally, you (or Ford ) would be breaking the law if you drove in EV for the allowable "cold start" time, and then started the car and emitted pollution with a cold CAT say 3 minutes down the road, because you are not allowed to pollute 3 minutes down the road, only the first 90 seconds.
-John
In addition to the cold cat issue cold engines run "richer" than warm engines. This also produces more pollution as well. Now... if you use a FAS can the engine get cold enough to require it to run rich when it starts again. Probably not in MOST cases... but if it is really cold outside and you do a really long downhill coast maybe. Again... I'm not saying its likely but there is more in addition to the cat cooling off when the engine is off.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

It is NOT the same as EV driving, and not even close. It is false and foolhearty for GaryG to say so. And in Gary's own words, "Saving fuel has become a disease" in his case. It's become an addiction, at the cost of safety.

3. You have no ability to accelerate... either to get over a hump, or avoid obstacles
4. Can potentially cause damage to the vehicle. This is one of those cases where an "ops" here and there can be tolerated, but with daily use, you are just asking for a mistake, either by you, or a computer glitch during an unusual condition. You are forceing the car to do something it was not designed for. You are begging for premature failure.
5. LAWSUITS. If you are in a major accident, the black box records the status of the car at the time, and can be retrieved by investigators.
6. Airbags. Airbags are active any time the key is in run. However, what if once, when you are distracted, you forget and leave the key one step down in ACC? A big ops that could cost you your life.
7. The engine is running for a reason. We may not like the reason, or even understand the reason, but it's on for a good reason.
8. I asked some Ford Hybrid engineers about FAS during the invitation only "Open House" event in 2005. To quote: "This practice is not only hazardous, illegal, and potentially damaging to the vehicle, but is also unethical, as it defeats many of the pollution saving measures built into this vehicle. I don't think we can have any further discussion."

That last part I think refers to running the catalyst too cold in this case. Also, the #1 reason why you can't run your car ( any car ) in EV during the first few seconds after a key start is the EPA. EPA rules state that any car is allowed to pollute for x seconds after a start up. I think 90 seconds, but don't quote me on that. EPA basically does not care what goes out the tailpipe in those first 90 seconds. After that, rules apply. ( and there are no exceptions for hybrids ) Literally, you (or Ford ) would be breaking the law if you drove in EV for the allowable "cold start" time, and then started the car and emitted pollution with a cold CAT say 3 minutes down the road, because you are not allowed to pollute 3 minutes down the road, only the first 90 seconds. The Prius EV button is illegal to use in the USA.

-John
That was a mouth full, you do make interesting points.

So here is her drive suggest away:
To
Open gate
Start car go back wards
Close gate while car idles
Drive up incline then decline to stop sign
Pull onto main road (incline)
Flattens for a sec then decline
Turn into parking lot (decline) and park

From
Back out of parking spot
Incline out of parking lot
Turn onto main road (incline)
Slight decline then turn onto our street
Our street is incline then decline
Open gate while car idles
Pull in kill car and close gate

Any other route adds more and greater inclines plus distance, from .2 to 5 miles there is no route without hills.

Clif

Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 AM

-John
Little John, tell us again how you got 100mpg and had to add later it was all down hill. What have you brought to the table for saving gas besides nothing? I'm trying to think of something for you, but sorry, I can't think of anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wayne said when he met you that your oil was overfilled, your tires were under pressure and he had to correct all of your crap before getting to Dearborn. You took credit for Wayne's knowedge like you do here on this board. Again, what have you done to improve anyone's mileage or safety? If I could think of anything, I would give you credit, but sorry pal, I can't think of a single thing but confusion that you brought to the board so far.

Mr FEH Technologist, where did you come up with that name?

GaryG

Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you think we could MAYBE have ONE thread here on GH where GaryG and gpsman1 don't turn the thread into a personal argument? Seriously guys....you disagree on everything, you never get along, please spare us all your personal disputes. Express your opinions and move on. We don't need yet another thread where the two of you go back and forth over who is right, who is wrong, and who knows the most. It is getting old. Post your thoughts and let it go.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Little John, tell us again how you got 100mpg and had to add later it was all down hill. What have you brought to the table for saving gas besides nothing? I'm trying to think of something for you, but sorry, I can't think of anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wayne said when he met you that your oil was overfilled, your tires were under pressure and he had to correct all of your crap before getting to Dearborn. You took credit for Wayne's knowedge like you do here on this board. Again, what have you done to improve anyone's mileage or safety? If I could think of anything, I would give you credit, but sorry pal, I can't think of a single thing but confusion that you brought to the board so far.

Mr FEH Technologist, where did you come up with that name?

GaryG
Gary,

Your points here do not address John's points, they just show you're a bit testy today.

If his points regarding loosing steering and brakes are correct, then unless you drive on a private road with no other cars, pedestrians or animals that can jump in your way, then your technique may save gas, but is dangerous.

If we all stopped driving, we'd save tons of gas would we not? What we are trying to do is balance our desire to conveniently get from one place to another with the cost. How we define that cost varies from one person to another. Some, cost is the cost of the vehicle, others it is the environmental impact, to most of us, it is somewhere in between. Another part of the equation is safety and how much we want to fit in with others around us. If I drove llike you, I'd save more gas, but I would anger those behind me, reduce the safety of myself, my passenger(s) and those around me. I choose not to at the expense of some potential in fuel savings.

Maybe if you were the only one on the road, you can take some chances, but not in most cases. What happens if you get cut off at the last second with your engine off? Do you have the ability to react to an emergency? How would you feel if you ran over a dog, or even worse, a kid who came out at the last minute between parked cars because you did not have any brake pressure left, or because you were fumbling with the starter instead of avoidng the obstacle? Is that worth a few gallons of gas?

Anyway, like I said, we all have to find the balance between saving gas and the other negating factors. Maybe you have some amazing gift of concentration and reaction time that allows you to safely drive like you do, but as someone who shares the road with others, I am certainly uncomfortable with the thought of doing that myself, or with the thought that the car next to me might.

Jusy my 2¢.

rcomeau

Last edited by rcomeau; 02-22-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Gary,

Your points here do not address John's points, they just show you're a bit testy today.

If his points regarding loosing steering and brakes are correct, then unless you drive on a private road with no other cars, pedestrians or animals that can jump in your way, then your technique may save gas, but is dangerous.

If we all stopped driving, we'd save tons of gas would we not? What we are trying to do is balance our desire to conviniently get from one place to another with the cost. How we define that cost varies from one person to another. Some, cost is the cost of the vehicle, others it is the environmental impact, to most of us, it is somewhere in between. Another part of the equation is safety and how much we want to fit in with others around us. If I drove llike you, I'd save more gas, but I would anger those behind me, reduce the safety of myself, my passenger(s) and those around me. I choose not to at the expense of some potential in fuel savings.

Maybe if you were the only one on the road, you can take some chances, but not in most cases. What happens if you get cut off at the last second with your engine off? Do you have the ability to react to an emergency? How would you feel if you ran over a dog, or even worse, a kid who came out at the last minute between parked cars because you did not have any brake pressure left, or because you were fumbling with the starter instead of avoidng the obstacle? Is that worth a few gallons of gas?

Anyway, like I said, we all have to find the balance between saving gas and the other negating factors. Maybe you have some amazing gift of concentration and reaction time that allows you to safely drive like you do, but as someone who shares the road with others, I am certainly uncomfortable with the thought of doing that myself, or with the thought that the car next to me might.

Jusy my 2¢.

rcomeau
Rcomeau, GPSman was ban from CleanMPG.Com for doing the same thing he does here.

If you have followed my post regarding FAS for the FEH/MMH, I've made it quite clear you lose power steering and I personally don't even notice it while moving above 6mph. I've also stated on the Yahoo site that the brakes even work with the key in the off position. When you unlock the FEH, open the door or the dome light comes on, the brakes pressurize with an electric motor. The brakes don't depressurize untill the vehicle is parked and off for 4 minutes. In the key-on position, the brakes will work just fine and John knows this from my prior post he deleted on Yahoo. As far as the CAT issue, I've addressed that also in my prior post. Keep Alive memory (KAM) stores data between key-off stops during warm-up for a reason, and I've addressed this issue before.

If anyone want to debate the issues above, that's fine. But claiming something is a bad idea, false, foolhearty and then list more garbage is not debate. John did not ask me a question about anything. The fact of the matter is, I did research on steering, and the manual states that the FEH can be steered just fine without assist. Also researched the brakes and the emission with key-off during warm-up. Go ahead and ask me where this stuff is in the manuals or look it up yourself.

If anyone does not feel safe doing something, don't do it. A question was ask here, and I gave my opinion. FAS has always been talked about on these forums, so I did some research and tried it for myself. Now that I've checked it out, the FEH/MMH is far safer than most vehicles hypermilers are using it in. I certainly would not use it if my brakes were in question.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Kill switch for the ICE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands