ICE<-->EV mode switch...does it get more noticeable over time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default ICE<-->EV mode switch...does it get more noticeable over time?

Hi all,

I recently had the opportunity to finally test drive a loaded TCH. Most dealers in NJ do not keep an inventory and order when the customer wants to make a purchase, so finding one that was not "sold" has been difficult.

The feeling was almost non-exsistent between the ICE and EV-mode. I had to be quite mindful of the display in order to know when the ICE kicked in.

My question: does the switching between ICE and EV-mode become (drastically) more noticeable as mileage increases?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Camry Freak
Default Re: ICE<-->EV mode switch...does it get more noticeable over time?

I can't speak for others, but it has become much more noticeable over time in mine.

For the first 5,000 miles, it was smooth that I also had to look at the display.
After 5,000 miles it wasn't bad, but I did start to notice that I could feel a slight shake when the ICE shut off. I currently have about 25,000 miles on mine, and it has become much more noticeable- especially as the car warms up. (First 10 minutes of operation)

I don't like it, but I figure it's a small price to pay for getting 10-15 mpg over a conventional Camry.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 AM
The Regenerator

Based upon driving a Prius for over two years, and now a TCH for a month, I'm convinced that there are several factors in play. Before getting into it, I'd add that in the Prius, it's a lot easier to feel or hear what the car is up to, since it's nowhere near as well isolated and sound insulated as the TCH is.

Beyond the car "breaking in" and actually becoming more noticeable in what it does, there is a learning effect for the driver. Once you understand how the car operates, and your mind "calibrates," you'll know about when it's going change from one mode of operation to another, and if you're paying attention to it, you'll feel and hear it where you might not have before. A while back, I gave my Dad (who is 73, but still hears very well) an indoc ride. We had several of those, "there, did you hear that" moments, where I knew the ICE had come on or gone off, but he did not notice. And this was in the Prius.

Second, even though we presumably don't have a "problem" with the car and the way it runs (having spent thousands to get one), it is still very different from a conventional. There's of course no shifting in the trans to cover other noises, bumps, and so forth. And having spent years driving cars that run constantly, it's hard do undo deeply ingrained mental programming. When I first got the Prius, I spent two weeks quelling the "uh-oh, it stalled" reaction. If that sounds goofy to the TCH-only folks, remember that the Prius ICE is MUCH more obvious when running than the TCH's.

Anyway, yes, the car probably does undergo some changes as time goes by, and these MAY make the ICE on/off transitions somewhat more noticeable. But so does the driver, so it may be very hard to determine objectively if anything really has changed.

Last edited by ekpolk; 09-21-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mda1224
Hi all,

I recently had the opportunity to finally test drive a loaded TCH. Most dealers in NJ do not keep an inventory and order when the customer wants to make a purchase, so finding one that was not "sold" has been difficult.

The feeling was almost non-exsistent between the ICE and EV-mode. I had to be quite mindful of the display in order to know when the ICE kicked in.

My question: does the switching between ICE and EV-mode become (drastically) more noticeable as mileage increases?

Thanks

I'd also wonder if there is a fuel quality dimension in that deterioration. If the injector spray patterns become a bit less precise, the switchover is likely to become more obvious. Likewise, with the motor mounds getting less absorbent as they age, the 'shakes' will likewise become more obvious.

So far, at roughly 5K miles my 08 has been getting smoother, if anything. My warehouse club (which has the consistently lowest price fuel in our area) advertises as selling 'top tier' rated fuel - don't know if other brands would make the car run better or worse. The Camry is our 'in-town car', and hasn't seen a variety of fuel brands.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 PM
HSD Organic Interface

27 months of TCH driving experience gives me the opinion that:

a) while the car is in motion, shutdowns and startups are always silky smooth. Never, ever had an in motion transition that was anything but flawless. That's not to say that they are imperceptable however. Once you get tuned in, you can tell when the ICE starts before the guage even shows it.

b) At stop, I occasionally notice a rough shutdown (1 or 2 times out of 100+). Actually has been quite a while since I had one.

c) At stop, a mild rumble/vibration is sometimes/usually noticeable at startup. It seemed to get more noticeable after 3 to 6 months, but since then I haven't noticed much difference. There are tons of discussion threads picking this behaviour apart if you want to dig back thru them.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
27 months of TCH driving experience gives me the opinion that:

a) while the car is in motion, shutdowns and startups are always silky smooth. Never, ever had an in motion transition that was anything but flawless. That's not to say that they are imperceptable however. Once you get tuned in, you can tell when the ICE starts before the guage even shows it.

b) At stop, I occasionally notice a rough shutdown (1 or 2 times out of 100+). Actually has been quite a while since I had one.

c) At stop, a mild rumble/vibration is sometimes/usually noticeable at startup. It seemed to get more noticeable after 3 to 6 months, but since then I haven't noticed much difference. There are tons of discussion threads picking this behaviour apart if you want to dig back thru them.
exactly my findings....a, b, and c. 15 months and approx. 30,000 miles.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I notice the transition much more now, and while it may be getting ever-so-slightly rougher (I'm at around 7K miles), I would attribute my perceptions mainly to becoming much more attuned to how the car operates. As Droid noted, I barely have to look at the gauges now to know how the car is (or will be) operating.

One side effect: when I drive the wife's minivan, it feels so rough at a stoplight (in comparison to the TCH) that I wonder if there's a problem, then I remember that it's just the fact that the engine is still running. You get accustomed to things operating in a certain way.