Ipod in the FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
New FEH Owner
Default Ipod in the FEH?

Anyone using their iPod or iPod mini in their FEH? If so, are you using the iTrip with it or some other FM transmitter. I'd love to bring my Mini with me but had an awful time with the iTrip in my KIA.

Thanks-
Tammy

Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Early Adopter
Default Re: Ipod in the FEH?

There is now an adapter that works with the Navigation radio...it takes the place of the CD-Changer so you can only have one or the other active at any time. It's made by PIE.net, and if you search in this forum you should be able to find the details on it.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you have a tape player, the cheapest and best quality sound will be to play the iPod through a cassette adaptor.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:50 AM
New FEH Owner

I didn't spring for the navigation system. I figure that's why my hubby married me...I'm like his human navigation system. *grin* I've only got the basic radio/disc player, which works fine for me, but I'd love to take the iPod on my first road trip. I've got it loaded with the new Harry Potter book and all of my favourite discs.

Tammy
Wichita,KS

Old 08-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've tried a few of the FM transmitters. The Transpod from DLO (http://www.dlodirect.com/ and discount online retailers such as amazon) has a strong transmitter and a nice way of holding and charging the ipod.

However, I got the PIE converter FRDW/PC-POD (http://www.pie.net/applepie.cfm) as soon as it was determined that it will work with the internal GPS system and 6 disc external changer. I don't know which PIE product, if any, will work with your system, but PIE has a very responsive customer service telephone operation and they will try to help if you call.

By the way, I also loaded the latest Potter book on my iPod, but found that some chapters skipped or had other audio problems. The discs were fine; something got screwed up in the transfer. So now I'm back to listening to the discs. If you're going on a long trip, bring the discs with you, just in case.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

That was the first modification I made when I got mine. In my previous vehicle I didn't even have a radio, just the iPod playing directly through amplified speakers.

I, too, had the basic OEM system, and used an FM modulator (not a transmitter - I already have an iTrip, but I live in NYC so it's even worse than normal). This is a powered unit - so you tap into power and ground - that connects inline between the antenna and head unit, and has stereo RCA jacks. It basically hijacks a specific FM frequency and you tune to that station.

It worked pretty well, much better than a transmitter. I drove cross-country with it and there were only a few times when I must have been close to a station broadcasting on that frequency where I got some interference.

I also used the Belkin Auto Kit which plugs into a 12V adapter, has a built-in amplifier, and connects to the iPod with a dock connector. It's pretty good, the charging and dock connection were what I was mostly going for. I'm not sure about the usefulness of the amp - you can sort of match the volume level with other sources, but I don't know if it's all that necessary.

One of the pieces I'm most impressed with is the mounting system from ProClip (http://www.proclipusa.com). The mount they have for the Escape goes on the passenger side, but if you use the iPod holder with the tilt swivel mount, you can mount it on the driver's side. I got the padded one and it's such a perfect fit, super secure, great product!

I have recently installed a new head unit and new speakers. Much nicer! My new head unit has a line-in input so the FM Modulator is about to go on eBay, but . . . wait a minute . . . Tammy, with the lemon? Is that you? If so, I'll give it to you if you want it. Email or PM me your address and I'll send it off to you along with the OEM tools to pull the head unit out of the dash.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 AM
New FEH Owner

I PM'd you, Randy. Just call me The Lemon Lady! I am so loving the new '06 FEH, even though it's a 4WD. I'm tickled at having one back to drive! I actually went and picked up a couple of new discs to pop into the player. You are awesome to make this offer! ***happy dance***

Tammy aka The Lemon Lady
Wichita, KS

Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Randy, what a guy! Lemon Lady certainly deserves a break for all the trouble she went through with the '05.