Driving Habits

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Default Driving Habits

My FWD FEH has led me to save gas in my V8 Explorer and other cars I drive. Using the reset on the average MPG readout on the dash or computer has been a real experiance that I think must be shared here.

I've had this system for years on other Ford cars and didn't figure it out till the other day. I thought the FEH Nav. Computer was the only way to check your MPG in a instant during a driving condition by pressing the reset button. I was driving on I-95 in my Exployer which has the average MPG also. I always thought the reset button was for oil change and mile to empty on the explorer. Its not! I tried drafting and was slowly watching my MPG average increase in that mode and pressed the reset. The average jump to what I was getting right then, 23-24 MPG with the A/C on at 70 MPH.

I have a new toy in my Exployer I didn't know I had!

Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving Habits

Great to hear that! I've helped my neighbor get 15% better mileage in his V8 Expedition by urging him to use the mpg display and by implementing a few different driving strategies. He found that maintaining a constant load on hills by slowing down while going up, and regaining speed on the descent to be the most useful.

Too bad other manufacturers don't offer as many models with the mpg displays. At this point, I know I can never go back to not having a car without one.