Hybrid Newb!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Hybrid Newb
Default Hybrid Newb!

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and also new to the world of hybrids. I just picked up an 09 MMH with 30k on it for my wife. I found the forum while searching about the new ride and have already absorbed tons of info just poking around on here.

A few questions......

On the HEV display I am yet to see the battery level go above 50%. Is this normal? In the little bit of time I have spent driving it I have seen it sit between half and 2 bars below half. After reading about where the SoC tends to be for these cars I am wondering if this gauge reflects total pack voltage or the normal SoC range.

The only time I see significant movement from the charge/assist needle is when under regen braking or if I get on the gas kinda heavy it will swing further into assist briefly. Once again, normal?

Are the battery ventilation filters readily available at parts stores?

Where should I look to see if it has the block heater option? The wife has always had remote start on her cars but I would love to use the heater instead this winter. From what I have read they warm up quick anyways but the block heater on a timer 3-4 hours before she leaves in the AM would keep the queen of the castle much happier

It's only been 3 days and limited seat time for me but so far I like it. Our avg is only 26.6, but most of the driving has been errand running and my wife's 8mi commute (which I know isn't this cars "sweet spot"). I wish I was using it for my 25mi commute but there's no way my wife is gonna drive my beater Windstar An SG2 is on my wish list already as I would love to see more data (I'm used to my sports car having a chipped ecu linked to my laptop for tuning and data logging......all the info at fingertips!!!)

Thanks in advance and I'll be on here a lot more now I'm guessing.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Newb!

Hey there. I can only speak intelligently about the charge/assist needle and filter. Needle movement sounds normal to me. Filters can normally be picked up cheaper thru Amazon.com, especially if you have Prime (I use it for movies, TV shows, and the free shipping on tons of stuff). There's also a sticky thread in this FEH subforum about all the filters you can browse for part #s and likely google some price comparisons.

Here's a link for the HVB filter:
Amazon.com: Motorcraft FP51 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft FP51 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

I'm assuming yours is the 4WD version due to the MPG you're seeing. My wife drives our FWD Escape 5 miles to work, evenly split between fwy and traffic lights, and her MPG is right at 32 on that type of duty cycle. She has little feeling in her feet (medical problem) so isn't light on the pedals either. LOL
I get close to 35mpg on my mostly fwy stop-and-go commute when I'm lucky enough to drive it, though I make it a challenge to keep the engine off.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 10-10-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Feral Engineer

Based on my 2007 FEH, everything that you describe sounds normal. Short trips really hurt mileage, as does cold weather. This is true of all cars, but hybrid owners tend to notice more.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
Hey there. I can only speak intelligently about the charge/assist needle and filter. Needle movement sounds normal to me. Filters can normally be picked up cheaper thru Amazon.com, especially if you have Prime (I use it for movies, TV shows, and the free shipping on tons of stuff). There's also a sticky thread in this FEH subforum about all the filters you can browse for part #s and likely google some price comparisons.

Here's a link for the HVB filter:
Amazon.com: Motorcraft FP51 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

I'm assuming yours is the 4WD version due to the MPG you're seeing. My wife drives our FWD Escape 5 miles to work, evenly split between fwy and traffic lights, and her MPG is right at 32 on that type of duty cycle. She has little feeling in her feet (medical problem) so isn't light on the pedals either. LOL
I get close to 35mpg on my mostly fwy stop-and-go commute when I'm lucky enough to drive it, though I make it a challenge to keep the engine off.
Does the cabin filter fit the battery filter area?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean, but maybe some confusion on the wording in the Amazon link. According to the filter thread located here...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-thread-15380/
...the FP51 is only for the HV battery in the rear (technically still in the cabin), and the FP49 is for the actual cabin, aka is the allergen filter. The link to the thread has great info in it.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Hybrid Newb

Thanks for the info. I pulled the filter and it looks new so I'm good for a while on that. I just ordered an SGII for $112 from Advanced with a discount code.

I feel like I have to use a VERY light foot to keep it in EV mode.......so opposite of my normal driving habits lol. I just filled up for the first time since picking the car up last Monday and our avg is at 26.5 right now. Unfortunately the cold weather is right around the corner so I doubt I'll see any big improvements over the next few months.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Selser420
Thanks for the info. I pulled the filter and it looks new so I'm good for a while on that. I just ordered an SGII for $112 from Advanced with a discount code.

I feel like I have to use a VERY light foot to keep it in EV mode.......so opposite of my normal driving habits lol. I just filled up for the first time since picking the car up last Monday and our avg is at 26.5 right now. Unfortunately the cold weather is right around the corner so I doubt I'll see any big improvements over the next few months.
Once you get your Scangauge, set up one of the Xgauges for AMPS, then work to keep the AMP draw below 50.

From an posting on the Escape City message board:

There are a few, the first is current into/out of the transaxle:
TXD: 07E122496E
RXF: 04628549066E
RXD: 3010
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: AMP
If I remember correctly it may not work correctly on older versions of the scangauge firmware.

The second is current into/out of the HV battery:
TXD: 0308
RXF: 010382000000
RXD: 140C
MTH: 00010001FA24
NAM: AMP