Have pity on a hybrid newb please....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Have pity on a hybrid newb please....

Hi everyone. I'm Nikki and I have a great 2008 Escape Hybrid that I love to death. I am in awe of your amazing car knowledge. I need some help! Please take pity on me and give me the battery filter changing for dummies breakdown. I've searched and searched. I can find all sorts of stuff on 2007 and back but my 2008 seems to be a different beast. I got my regular air filter changed but can't figure out the battery filter. And what's the difference between the battery filter and the cabin filter?! HELP!

oh, and anyone can give me pointers on getting more than 28 mpg, I'd be very appreciative, lol!

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Have pity on a hybrid newb please....

Originally Posted by allonte
Hi everyone. I'm Nikki and I have a great 2008 Escape Hybrid that I love to death. I am in awe of your amazing car knowledge. I need some help! Please take pity on me and give me the battery filter changing for dummies breakdown. I've searched and searched. I can find all sorts of stuff on 2007 and back but my 2008 seems to be a different beast. I got my regular air filter changed but can't figure out the battery filter. And what's the difference between the battery filter and the cabin filter?! HELP!

oh, and anyone can give me pointers on getting more than 28 mpg, I'd be very appreciative, lol!

Thanks!
Welcome and congrats! I STILL love my 08, she'll be 3 in May.

The batt filter is in the cargo bay, left side, pop the oddly shape square cocer off, press the tabs to remove the 2nd cover, slide the ciggarette sized filter out. The air & oil filter thread at the top of the board lists lots of part #s. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-thread-15380/

I found a K&N motorcycle filter on ebay for a bargain, so I use that one now.

A cabin air filter, something I wasnted at first, but was hard to find due to the new shape (07+), then when they became avail the $ put me off, and now it's like well 3 yrs later, what's the point? I also only drive short distances at a time, so if you have a need (allergy, dust, etc) it can be worth it, I think I've seen plain paper type filters for $20-30, carbon (odor reducung) for like $60+. Some on here have mentioned a DIY filter by buying a furnace filter at a hardware store and cutting to shape.

The manual says to change yearly, I di it w/ the oil change. Obviously if you live in a dusty/dirty area, you want to check it more frequently. I find a leaf, a bug or 2 in mine, so I usualy checkt it 2-3 times/yr plus clean/change it.

As for the 28mpg, that's been my winter average. Could be the winter mix gas, E10 vs 100% gas, tire pressure. The bigest penalties I find are outside tempuature, below 40 hurts, it loves mid 50's to 60's, 80's plus not so good either; and driving habits. Easy steady acc & braking, and I thing my best improvments come from learning the 'fake/forced' shift technique, it's the easist trick to learn, just slightly lift your foot off the gas when RPM's are high, and when your near at crusing speed to 'shift' it to a lower 'gear', RPM's drop and MPG's (on my SGii) immediatly increase. I also put some cardboard infront of the grill to help heat up the water faster, which equals EV sooner.

There are other techniques listed throughout the board, this, and the 'double tap' are about the only ones I curently use.

My avg since Dec, this has been a cold winter is 26.4, my avg for the 10 tankgs prior (fall) was 30.4

Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. Can you tell me where the heck this cabin filter goes? I have it but can't figure out what the heck to do with it.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM

You get some elastic bands and strap to your nose/mouth like a Dr mask

It's under the hood, just infront of the passanger seat/windshield. You remove a few plastic 'screws', lift the plastic cover, then under that you should see the filter box, you lift that cover off too (I think there's a 2nd cover) and insert filter. I know there's a good write-up w/ pics on here somewhere.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM

This is the location:
Name:  fordescapehybridcabinfilter.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  58.4 KB

Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

Bill YOU ROCK!!! Thank you so much! My battery filter and air filter were filthy so I can only imagine how this one is going be bad too.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by allonte
Bill YOU ROCK!!! Thank you so much! My battery filter and air filter were filthy so I can only imagine how this one is going be bad too.

Don't be surprised if there isn't a filter already in there. The '08 FEH did not come from the factory with a cabin air filter.

I added one not long after I picked mine up from the dealer (10-15 miles old) and I'm working on my third one now with 46,000 miles. Adding a filter does cut down on the air flow when pulling from the outside but I think it's worth it to have less dust, pollen, etc. inside the cabin. I usually just run the fan one setting higher when pulling air through the filter to offset the loss.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 AM

Thanks Bill, I knew there was a pic/thread somewhere, I just a quick reply as I was running out the door to go to work!

Mikki, did you get your mpg's up yet? What part of the country (world?) you in, maybe someone can have more spefic tips fo you.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

I'm up to 28.6 right now. My highest has been about 30.3. I'm in Tennessee. I get better mileage during moderate weather. Today is a great day. I usually put no ethanol added gas in my baby. I've noticed that I get better mileage with that gas. I must add that I'm a little speed demon though, lol. I don't take off fast but one I get going, I'm gone!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Yes our babies love moderate weather! heavy feet don't help!
I assume it still has the stock Eco+ Conti tires? If they have been replaced that can affect mpgs by a few. The new one's come with Michelin LRR tires, don't know if there are other LRR choices out there.
Even at higher speeds, once you get to crusings speed, lift off the gas a little and watch the rpm's drop, even a small drop can affect you mpgs! It's hard to describe a little, to me it feels like 1/4 - 1/2" lift, then ease back into it to maintain speed.

Good luck
Enjoy,
How's the cleaner air?

Quick Reply: Have pity on a hybrid newb please....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands