HV Battery Jump

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Jump

Originally Posted by GatorJ
This is, I believe, a summary of the collective thread wisdom for the procedure. I added a few notes/thoughts. Usual disclaimers about don't try this at home, hire a professional, risk of electrocution/death, etc.

Note 1: the entire battery casing is plastic, only the covers are metal, as are the points where the screws go in. You don't want to damage the casing by over tightening anything or prying up on it.

Note 2. it is essential for proper battery cooling that the HVTB covers fit and seal properly, do not bend them and do not damage any seals.

Note 3. EVERYTHING can be done with the battery in place in the vehicle.

Safety is obviously foremost. .

IMPORTANT: The charger described in this thread produces approximately 380 volts, but at low amperage. The two ring connectors are exposed on the short harness that attaches to the HVTB battery relay. NO NOT TOUCH those if that harness is connected to the charger and the charger is plugged in. There would be no reason for you to connect that harness to the charger until AFTER it is installed on the HVTB. I purchased red 3D printed safety caps to protect the female connector of the short harness.

Be very familiar with the photo of the relay block in post #53. He circled the positive and negative connection points on the relay block in red(+) and black(-). The terminal ends on my harness are color coded the same way, which is obviously the standard.

IMPORTANT: Remove the big orange service plug from the HVTB when working on it.

Needed:

Security Torx bits
Trim panel tool
Ratcheting screwdriver with bits.

I would suggest you go in this order:
1. Disconnect 12 volt battery, put it on a charger.

2. Remove orange service plug from HVTB

3. Completely remove trim pieces in rear cargo area. Here's a good YT video (Note: he made a mistake at 1:04...open that little cover and remove the fastener from there, not the way he did it, and you won't break it.) You will need a trim tool. Both sides are similar.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKi6mH1wE3M

4. Remove HVTB AC vent. Note: scroll down for 09+ models:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85demexnlo...draft.pdf?dl=0

5. Remove large cover fasteners . Note here is a video of a guy opening up a battery after it has been removed from the vehicle showing you bolt placements. You, of course, are going to be doing this in place. The top ones are easy...super easy access. There are two bolts on the sides of the lid about mid-battery with straps attached (0.48 of video). You can get to those with channellocks. Moving toward the front of the vehicle, also on the sides of the lid, are 2 more bolts (0.56). Those are the hardest ones to get to. Use one of these tools and cut down the bits to make them shorter and it will fit.
https://www.amazon.com/KAIFNT-Screwd...s%2C162&sr=1-9

Then remove the final two bolts on the front edge of the lids (1.04). Super easy access with rear seat moved out of the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V7pqzosJpM

6. At this point you should be able to remove the large cover towards the front of the vehicle.

7. Access the relay in the HVTB per post #1.. There are written directions and high quality photos. Here's a YT video of someone who has opened up the HVTB in place in the vehicle and is getting ready to install a harness.::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkhwmdR_t5U

8. Attach the short harness per the photographs paying close attention to polarity.

9. Reassemble relay into HVTB

10. Route the harness out of the battery so that the female connector with the red safety cap is hanging outside the HVTB casing. Consider notching the casing as you don't want the lid to cut into the harness and short out the HVTB. That would be the definition of a bad day.

11. Reinstall HVTB lid being mindful of torque specs.

12. Reinstall duct for HVTB AC system.

CHARGING PROCEDURE:
Remove orange service plug completely
Remove red relay harness safety cover
Connect charger to relay harness
Plug charger into 110VAC supply
Install orange service plug
Charge for 4 hours
Remove orange service plug
Unplug charger power from 110VAC supply
Unplug charger from relay harness
Install red relay harness safety cover
Install orange service plug
Reinstall/connect 12 volt battery
Clear any codes from vehicle with scan tool or equivalent.
Start vehicle, allow to run until ICE shuts off and vehicle goes into HEV mode.
Thank S Keith. This all started with his ingenuity.

At full charge under a low current (0.5A), the FEH battery will be full at between 353-358V (approximately).
I'm about to attempt to save my mom's 2009 FEH. From my understanding, this harness is permanent correct? It will hang outside the battery cover? I haven't had time to read through the whole forum just yet - I've been skimming for photos, videos, and written tutorials.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ajvanek
I'm about to attempt to save my mom's 2009 FEH. From my understanding, this harness is permanent correct? It will hang outside the battery cover? I haven't had time to read through the whole forum just yet - I've been skimming for photos, videos, and written tutorials.
You could remove it, but why? I left mine connected in case the need arises in the future. You can put a cap on it and stash it where no one will come in contact with it.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:29 AM

I still want to see someone install the power supply where the jump starter used to be... then just plug in a 120VAC cable - everything dangerous is then internal to the battery.

Additionally, if you put the diode in the "harness" that comes out of the pack, that removes any shock risk.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

I've now read through everything I think. I know how to assemble the charger, disassemble the battery in the vehicle, etc. Can someone link me to a clear photo of how the harness is attached to the relay permanently? I know where the connections go, i just want to see exactly what the connection looks like. Bonus points for a picture of everything connected and assembled ready for charging. If I missed it, i apologize. I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing. Thank you!

Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Are you aware of what might make it so that the push button in an ‘07 Escape Hybrid wouldn’t light up or work to charge the battery? Does it mean the battery is completely dead? I have it at a shop right now and they changed the PCM and I was hoping that would resolve the issue but it hasn’t. Now they’re referring me to a dealership to have that HV battery charged but I thought that’s what the push button was for - so the question is — why is the push button not working?

Old 09-23-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by NDunfiltered
Are you aware of what might make it so that the push button in an ‘07 Escape Hybrid wouldn’t light up or work to charge the battery? Does it mean the battery is completely dead? I have it at a shop right now and they changed the PCM and I was hoping that would resolve the issue but it hasn’t. Now they’re referring me to a dealership to have that HV battery charged but I thought that’s what the push button was for - so the question is — why is the push button not working?
Please do not cross post the same question in different threads. Addressed in your other thread.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:21 PM
Cheapskate

My 2009 FEH has been having some self-drain issues. Nothing too serious if driven regularly, but it will be sitting undriven for the month of December, so I decided to install a connector for an external charger should I return to a depleted HVTB.

Process went smoothly (I think) thanks to S Keith's detailed instructions (plus GatorJ's followups). I have a few small suggestions I'll post that might help others, but I do have a question first. After reassembly and restoring power, the car seems to drive fine though it will need to be driven a bit to clear P1000. However there is also a P0AA7-60 code. Could I have a bad connection on one of the ECU wiring harnesses? Those things are ****ed tight and took some significant force/twisting to get reconnected.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

I had a no start/no crank condition and a failed dealership visit so I have followed the SKeith recharge recipe and everything has gone smoothly on my 09 FEH. Pulled the HVTB, installed the harness, and charged it from ~258v to ~352v. Reinstalled and went for a start. No joy and got the PATS 1260-FF error code even though the key fobs were the same.

Is it possible that the battery removal somehow interfered with the key fob security hand-shake with the system. What should I try next?

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by elborak
My 2009 FEH has been having some self-drain issues. Nothing too serious if driven regularly, but it will be sitting undriven for the month of December, so I decided to install a connector for an external charger should I return to a depleted HVTB.

Process went smoothly (I think) thanks to S Keith's detailed instructions (plus GatorJ's followups). I have a few small suggestions I'll post that might help others, but I do have a question first. After reassembly and restoring power, the car seems to drive fine though it will need to be driven a bit to clear P1000. However there is also a P0AA7-60 code. Could I have a bad connection on one of the ECU wiring harnesses? Those things are ****ed tight and took some significant force/twisting to get reconnected.

Thanks.
I have an 09 with that code and the accompanying wrench light as well. Hopefully someone has a solution. The vehicle otherwise drives and acts normally.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:00 AM
Cheapskate

The one suggestion of note I will add to the process is a small refinement to GatorJ's "remove the rear cargo trim pieces and use a cut-down bit with an offset mini wrench" idea. That approach indeed works great and eliminates any need to remove the HVTB from the vehicle for this process. But if you buy
the low profile version the low profile version
instead of the one originally linked there's no need to cut down a bit; the low profile T30 bit in that set fits with no problem on both sides. Makes removal of those two annoyingly placed screws surprisingly easy.

And if you're going to notch the case for the harness to pass through, I recommend adding a bit of heat shrink tubing to better protect against any sharp edges or abrasion. Also acts as a bit of a strain relief if it's snug enough in the notch.

Quick Reply: HV Battery Jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands