HV Battery Jump

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Jump

Glad to hear it. If I had any sense, I'd have developed and marketed something.

I have a 2010 in front of my house and a 2009 arriving tomorrow. Too much sitting during COVID

Old 08-04-2020, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith
Glad to hear it. If I had any sense, I'd have developed and marketed something.

I have a 2010 in front of my house and a 2009 arriving tomorrow. Too much sitting during COVID
You need to check out the "new & improved" "Redneck Ingenuity" charger on eBay. It's up to $799 + S/H and comes in a black box with a padlock on it. Claims to "charge individual booster sticks."

eBay

Last edited by GatorJ; 08-04-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Well, I can attest that this charger works. The charger pictured above was shipped out of state to the owner of an '09 FEH with a HVTB discharged to the point the vehicle would not start. He left it on an 8 hour timer with a fan blowing on the battery and it immediately started. The vehicle was left running for several minutes and it went into EV mode. I was sent a video of the FEH running normally.

A sincere thank you to Keith and the other thread contributors.
One of the YT videos is mine...step 7. That was my video making the harness from the relay out of the high voltage battery. I wouldn't be able to do this without the help of this thread. Big thanksnks to the OP!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
You need to check out the "new & improved" "Redneck Ingenuity" charger on eBay. It's up to $799 + S/H and comes in a black box with a padlock on it. Claims to "charge individual booster sticks."

eBay
Of course it charges individual booster sticks! It just does them all at once!

Originally Posted by avinator
One of the YT videos is mine...step 7. That was my video making the harness from the relay out of the high voltage battery. I wouldn't be able to do this without the help of this thread. Big thanksnks to the OP!
Happy to help!

Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

Forscan. When the ICE is stopped, record a "discharge" of the HV battery using electrical accessories (blower, headlights, rear window defroster, in "R" with parking brake set and foot off brake) monitoring SoC, current and the module deltaV. You will be able to determine X mAh extracted over Y SoC and then can extrapolate the total battery capacity, e.g.,

650mAh extracted between 55% and 40% (or 55-40 = 15%)

650mAh/0.15 = 4333mAh = 4333/5500 = 79% SoH
@S Keith Have run Forscan on 2009 FEH, SoC is 282.17. Forscan IC reports B1318 - battery voltage is too low. Also have P0A7D - Hybrid Battery Pack State of Charge Low.

I have all the parts for the charger from this post, plus installed a new 12V battery. Once attached, just charge for 4 hours or so?

Last edited by jgATL; 08-16-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by jgATL
@S Keith Have run Forscan on 2009 FEH, SoC is 282.17. Forscan IC reports B1318 - battery voltage is too low. Also have P0A7D - Hybrid Battery Pack State of Charge Low.

I have all the parts for the charger from this post, plus installed a new 12V battery. Once attached, just charge for 4 hours or so?
Total voltage is probably 282. SoC is a % of full charge number.

4 hours will do it.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hello all, I have been reading through 13 pages of knowledge and have a 2010 FEH with a brand new 12V battery exhibiting all the signs of a low voltage HV battery. Oddly, mine did not occur from a long period of sitting unstated? I actually drove my car just this morning for a quick trip to the store and back and when trying to start the car 3 hrs later had nothing? Decided to check the 12V status and found it to be at 10.5V. Swapped out the battery and fully expected the car to turn over but no luck. So, I am fairly mechanically inclined and know more about electrical components than the average bear...I am still a little intimidated by the process required to charge the HV battery to the point that the car starts again. Has anyone done a step by step procedure or video for the entire process yet? I have seen the steps listed out but honestly still have questions about some of the steps and components. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Umphrey
Hello all, I have been reading through 13 pages of knowledge and have a 2010 FEH with a brand new 12V battery exhibiting all the signs of a low voltage HV battery. Oddly, mine did not occur from a long period of sitting unstated? I actually drove my car just this morning for a quick trip to the store and back and when trying to start the car 3 hrs later had nothing? Decided to check the 12V status and found it to be at 10.5V. Swapped out the battery and fully expected the car to turn over but no luck. So, I am fairly mechanically inclined and know more about electrical components than the average bear...I am still a little intimidated by the process required to charge the HV battery to the point that the car starts again. Has anyone done a step by step procedure or video for the entire process yet? I have seen the steps listed out but honestly still have questions about some of the steps and components. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
This is not your problem. Your 12V died. Did you confirm the replacement was good? Just because a sh!tty battery made in Mexico is new doesn't mean it's good. Did you leave the 12V disconnected for at least 5 minutes during the installation process?

Old 08-20-2020, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

This is not your problem. Your 12V died. Did you confirm the replacement was good? Just because a sh!tty battery made in Mexico is new doesn't mean it's good. Did you leave the 12V disconnected for at least 5 minutes during the installation process?
Thanks for the reply S Keith...this is potentially very good news. The new replacement is a Die Hard Gold and the only thing I confirmed was the voltage. The old battery was out of the car for close to one hour while I got the new one and reinstalled it. When I turn over the car I have most all of the dash lights on but when I turn the ignition to start position the fuel light turns off and the tach does not move to the EV position? Is it possible that I have a code stored in memory which is not allowing the car to start? Curious where to go from here?

Old 08-20-2020, 10:27 AM

The voltage should be over 12.5V.
  1. Ensure hybrid safety plug is in the correct position.
  2. 12V disconnect for 5 minutes.
  3. Reconnect.
  4. Insert key in ignition and turn to ON, not start. Leave in this position for 30 seconds.
  5. Turn off.
  6. Remove key.
  7. Insert key.
  8. Insert key in ignition and turn to ON, not start. Leave in this position for 5 seconds.
  9. Turn key to start, if no start, firmly push key harder into the lock while holding the start position.
Not all of the steps above are meaningful and are speculative on my part. If #9 results in starting, your ignition switch has gone bad.

Quick Reply: HV Battery Jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands