Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Ford doesn't need to go out of business. It just has to file for bankruptcy.

When that happens, all liabilities are voided out by the court, and that includes all warranty liabilities. There will be no one to transfer the warranty to, since Ford could still be in operation. It would just be operating under bankruptcy protection.

Just take a look at K-Mart. People (rather dumb people) were even still buying their stock after they filled for bankruptcy, only to finally realize later that the stock was totally worthless. The bankruptcy voided out all the old stock, and when K-Mart emerged from bankruptcy, they issued/sold all new stock.

If the courts don't care about stock holders, they clearly will not care about warranty holders.

BTW, filing for bankruptcy also voids out all union contracts, and all benefit liabilities (like pension under funding). I am sure that makes it somewhat tempting for Ford, since those are the "problems" it claims are keeping it from competing successfully.
They CAN void warranties.... but they wouldn't. It would destroy any chance of the company getting out of bankruptcy which is the point of filing for a bankruptcy in the first place. No one would buy any car from a company that had just canceled all its warranties. They'd only do it if they were COMPLETELY going out of business.

When several airlines filed for bankruptcy (United for example if I remember right) their tickets were still valid. In fact I think I remember they even arranged with other carriers to carry passengers for some flights.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

I bought a ford taurus in 1990 and got a great deal with in a few months the dealership folded. I had it until 1998 then I bought a honda odessey because there werent any hybrids available. Now I put down 500 dollars on a stupid ford 4wheel drive escape 2008 I thought it was supposed to be safer. The highlander looks like my 1998 oddessey except it's a little bigger. I should have bought that instead It just seemed too big They told me in 10 weeks I should get my 2008 ford escape. This stinks!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Dude

I'm not sure where "a" connects to "b." If you ordered a custom car, i.e. they didn't have what you wanted on the lot, there will be a substantial delay.

That said, we shopped around a bit, at the Ford Dealerships in the area, and found a lot with the car we wanted, with everything we wanted in it.

FWIW, when the 2008 shows up, I think you will be pleased at it. Ours runs beautifully, and right now, we are averaging somewhere around 450 mi a tank, somewhat around the promised 30-36 mpg.

To place that in perspective, my 1996 Saturn SL2, a well known fuel efficient car, could only manage 270 miles to the tank, and around 25-27 mpg. For its size, the Escape hybrid is top of the line, imho.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Dude

That all said, I agree with TeeSter. Unless the company intends on never doing business again, it makes absolutely no sense to cancel warranties...

Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks I feel a little better now.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
If they are bought out the warranties will be transferrable I would suspect.

Frankly I think everyone is very much over playing Ford's impending doom. They are in trouble, but I find it difficult to believe the Feds would completely let them go under. They bailed out Chrysler.
The Feds = John Q Taxpayer & the Federal Reserve printing press (the hidden tax via inflation)

Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ncp10
The Feds = John Q Taxpayer & the Federal Reserve printing press (the hidden tax via inflation)
I didn't say it was the RIGHT or WRONG thing to do.... just that they would probably do it.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by memine
That all said, I agree with TeeSter. Unless the company intends on never doing business again, it makes absolutely no sense to cancel warranties...
I sure hope that a bankruptcy judge feels the same way as you all do, and puts Ford's warranty obligations ahead of its other obligations (taxes, creditors, pension, union, etc).

Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

IF Ford goes bankrupt it will be reorganizational not liquidation. They will be in business as usual. It will allow them to restructure and keep creditors at bay. Warranties and pension plans will be as usual. Google Oldsmobile warranty.

Last edited by Jerry&Natalie; 03-06-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I sure hope that a bankruptcy judge feels the same way as you all do, and puts Ford's warranty obligations ahead of its other obligations (taxes, creditors, pension, union, etc).
The mistake you are making is that warranties aren't even in the same class as taxes, creditors, pension, etc. Even if I cancel warranties it makes NO DIFFERENCE ON THEIR BALANCE sheet for debts! It doesn't help them get out of debt which is what a bankruptcy is for. Ford doesn't owe us any money for our warranties... they have no cash value. They essentially are a future operating expense. What that means is the judge won't treat them like those other obligations. it doesn't guarantee they won't be cancelled per se... but its not "placing them ahead of their other obligations" to keep them valid either. They simply aren't equivalent.