Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

Has anyone noticed a recent trend of Ford dealerships going belly up? Within a few miles of my home two dealers have gone belly-up in the past couple years ... some writers have said that Nassau County, NY is now a pretty bad place for a domestic manufacturer to survive ... and is overpopulated with Ford dealers.
If anyone's from the area on this board ... does one have a recommendation for a good Ford service shop in Nassau County .. that's close to the LIRR so I can drop off the car and head back into the city? I don't trust anyone with the FEH unless it's a dealer, especially with oil changes, etc.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 AM
joe540ci
Default Re: Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

Highlander Hybrid vs Ford Escape ( 1 2 3 GO TO HIGHLANDER POSTS AND READ AND CLICK ON MY POST THERE

Old 03-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dwmiller438
Has anyone noticed a recent trend of Ford dealerships going belly up?
After reading Ford's very dismal sales numbers just released yesterday, I am getting more worried that Ford itself will go belly up. When that happens, were will we get our hybrid serviced?

And forget that 8 year warranty on the hybrid components!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
After reading Ford's very dismal sales numbers just released yesterday, I am getting more worried that Ford itself will go belly up. When that happens, were will we get our hybrid serviced?

And forget that 8 year warranty on the hybrid components!
Ford may declare bankruptcy, but as for going belly up and dissappearing I really doubt it. Worst case they'd end up bought out.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
ck8
Enthusiast

My Ford dealership in Towson, MD just shut down and merged with another. I guess they are consolidating.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Dude
Question Re: Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

One is left to wonder...

I've not made an introduction post, but having just purchased a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, and taken the financials of Ford into consideration, I have to wonder.

I would expect that warranties should be transferable, but am not certain.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by memine
One is left to wonder...

I've not made an introduction post, but having just purchased a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, and taken the financials of Ford into consideration, I have to wonder.

If they are bought out the warranties will be transferrable I would suspect.

Frankly I think everyone is very much over playing Ford's impending doom. They are in trouble, but I find it difficult to believe the Feds would completely let them go under. They bailed out Chrysler.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Dude

Absolutely.

One is definitely left to wonder.

On a side note, we waited here for a few months to see the '08, and I have to say, it was worth it. For all the complaining about the cosmetics, I think they have made a better car, and atm, the best rated in mpg of the hybrid SUVs...

Old 03-05-2007, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by memine
Ford doesn't need to go out of business. It just has to file for bankruptcy.

When that happens, all liabilities are voided out by the court, and that includes all warranty liabilities. There will be no one to transfer the warranty to, since Ford could still be in operation. It would just be operating under bankruptcy protection.

Just take a look at K-Mart. People (rather dumb people) were even still buying their stock after they filled for bankruptcy, only to finally realize later that the stock was totally worthless. The bankruptcy voided out all the old stock, and when K-Mart emerged from bankruptcy, they issued/sold all new stock.

If the courts don't care about stock holders, they clearly will not care about warranty holders.

BTW, filing for bankruptcy also voids out all union contracts, and all benefit liabilities (like pension under funding). I am sure that makes it somewhat tempting for Ford, since those are the "problems" it claims are keeping it from competing successfully.

Last edited by WaltPA; 03-05-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Dude

I don't know enough to say that is incorrect, but it just doesn't sound right. If it is so easy to get out of a waranty, what is the point of selling them?

Quick Reply: Ford Dealerships Closing/New York

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands