FEH/MMH computer learning to deal with 10% ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default FEH/MMH computer learning to deal with 10% ethanol?

Sometime in November I can only assume the local stations started using 10% ethanol blends for the winter. I base this on the fact that my mileage suddenly went from about 30mpg to about 26mpg. It stayed low through about 2+ tanks of gas. Now I am on to my 3rd tank and my mileage is starting to creep back up over 28mpg. Is it safe to assume that the "system" is learning to burn the blended fuel and that my mileage is now recovering???

Old 12-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Default Re: FEH/MMH computer learning to deal with 10% ethanol?

Originally Posted by Tim K
Sometime in November I can only assume the local stations started using 10% ethanol blends for the winter. I base this on the fact that my mileage suddenly went from about 30mpg to about 26mpg. It stayed low through about 2+ tanks of gas. Now I am on to my 3rd tank and my mileage is starting to creep back up over 28mpg. Is it safe to assume that the "system" is learning to burn the blended fuel and that my mileage is now recovering???
Maybe... but here in MI it was extremely cold a ways back... and now its up into the 50's and my gas mileage has followed suit. If the temps have done the same thing in your area, I'd suspect that has more to do with it.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 AM
World's First Hybrid

TeeSter is correct. It probably has more to do with the warmer temps here in the NE. Ethanol reformulated fuel has less energy than the old MTBE blend so mpg will be lower. PA may have adopted 10% ethanol on a full time basis just as here in MA, which began last summer. Ever since then, my mpg have been lower, mid 40's vs low 50's.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 AM

Yea, the same thing happen to me. I got a tank of 10%, just as the cold temps happened.

My mileage has started to rebound, but not only have the temps risen, I have also gotten a new tank of gas (and this pump said nothing about it being 10% ethanol).

Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yea, the same thing happen to me. I got a tank of 10%, just as the cold temps happened.

My mileage has started to rebound, but not only have the temps risen, I have also gotten a new tank of gas (and this pump said nothing about it being 10% ethanol).
Does gas stations required to say they are 10%? I wonder who one can talk to about when 10% ethanol gets mandated, and where, and how long, etc.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by occ
Does gas stations required to say they are 10%? I wonder who one can talk to about when 10% ethanol gets mandated, and where, and how long, etc.
The pump I used 3 weeks ago, had a sticker on is that stated something like "Contains 10% Ethanol" and some disclaimer.

I assume if there is no such sticker, it's just gas. No?

Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 PM

Actually, I think the stickers say "Contains UP TO 10% Ethanol". Actual content can vary from station to station.

I still say the vehicle appears to adapt to the Ethanol as temperatures here have been pretty constant and my MPG has not.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The rules varry from state to state.
Some states require ethanol blends to be labeled, and some do not, since ALL cars are fully capable of using 10%.

FYI MOST cars post 1997 can use up to 30% ethanol, but you won't see it listed in any manual, because it will lower MPG. But hey, if you make your own ethanol, or can get it free, go with 30%!

Originally Posted by occ

Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by gpsman1
The rules varry from state to state.
Some states require ethanol blends to be labeled, and some do not, since ALL cars are fully capable of using 10%.

FYI MOST cars post 1997 can use up to 30% ethanol, but you won't see it listed in any manual, because it will lower MPG. But hey, if you make your own ethanol, or can get it free, go with 30%!

But I don't want Ethanol in my tank, I want gas for range! It was amazing the difference that can make. When I filled up at Hybridfest to come back to MI, the less Ethanol content made a very noticible difference.