FEH '06 Fueling Up / Stoppage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH '06 Fueling Up / Stoppage Issue

I have a 2006 FEH and have been having trouble when I fuel up and am hoping some of you have tips or have had this issue and can help. When I am filling up at the gas station, the gas pump will shut off very frequently so I have to restart the pump every 5-10 seconds. I have tried to hold the pump while filling the tank but the same things happens and the pump shuts off after a few seconds. It seems like the sensors in the gas tank are shutting it off but I'm not sure. I've tried positioning the pump higher or lower than normal but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: FEH '06 Fueling Up / Stoppage Issue

This is a common problem that most of us see to some degree, some worse that others, I suppose.

My only solution, and what I do is fill slowly.

There is not any sensor problem, it is the air pressure coming back out the fill tube in your car, as you force the liquid in. Usually the handle on the pump has 2 or 3 settings. The slowest one works for me, and also allows you to get more of a "full fill" each visit to the station.

I don't think anything is "broken" and I think it is just a quirky design,
-John

Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

If this suddenly started happening, it may be a vent blockage. This can happen to any car, not just the FEH. I'm not sure how the FEH vent is routed but most repair shops have simple techniques to check this.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is another site that has a long thread on this issue. Click on this: http://www.escape-central.com/1forum...4&pagenumber=1

It seems Ford even issued a TSB on this if you read the thread on the other site.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks all! This has been happening for a long time but finally got annoyed enough about it while standing in the rain trying to get gas that I wanted to do some investigating. Looks like a call to my dealer is in the cards.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jillybean-
I had an '05 regular Escape with this problem. They replaced the filler neck twice and I still had the problem. It is a part of Ford's compliance with federal air standards. There are some generalized goals and as long as you meet them it doesn't matter to them how you do it. The neck is small and there is greater pressure so that gasoline vapors don't escape into the air.
It seemed to be worse once the weather turned cooler (because it would be too much if I could stand outside when it's 80 and sunny rather than -10 and dark). The only solution I found was using the notch on the gas nozzle that is closest to the handle. The little ridges for the auto-fill? If there's a pump with three notches, you can usually get away with the middle one. I also found that going below 1/4 tank made the problem more likely to occur.
Good luck.