Factory radio fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Factory radio fun

A sad time for the fleet, both of my family's 06 MMH gave their lives in protection of their occupants within the last 18 months.

Both had the "premium" factory sound with the cd changer under the seat, nav, and the all-desired hybrid screens on the radio. I extracted the radio after the first one was totaled, just in case the second MMH radio might fail.

We just purchased a 2006 FEH, but this one does NOT have the premium sound, it has the factory in-dash 6-disc cd radio.

I pulled that unit out today to have a try at swapping the hybrid-screen radio in... And the plugs are completely different. Has anyone got an actual wiring diagram / wire location list for where that data line comes from?

I think I can get the reverse harness (car side plugs) that would connect to the nav radio, and I know I can get a normal harness (radio side) that will plug into the cheaper-audio-but-smaller-pins plug in the dash now. But I'm reasonably sure that the data lines are in another connector, and I don't know where they go in the dash.

Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory radio fun

It seems like you will have an interesting time trying to re-create the factory wiring harness from a 8 year old radio. Not to mention the outdated GPS probably won't work without a lot of extra effort and expense.
Or you could get a plug n' play Scangage that will display more information than the factory hybrid screen ever had.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Well, having the Nav working isn't quite my goal. To be honest, the only function I really wanted to try and retain was the Hybrid screen with the historical mileage graph.

Unfortunately, I am still not certain which of the 4 different ports on the back of this radio is the main one that connects to power / speakers and which has the data wire that would need to be connected. One of the connectors on the back of this radio has 15 large pins in an offset 7-over-8 style. I am at a loss to identify any reverse harness that would match this one, and each of the others has small pins - 2 with 12, and one with 17. Again... None of the reverse harnesses match up that I have found.

Scangauges are nice, I own one for another vehicle. I am less than confident in their "gallons per hour", "average MPG", and "instant mpg" numbers however, as it would seem to be a calculated number based on remembering to hit the 'fillup' option each time you do. I want something a little more accurate.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geordi
Well, having the Nav working isn't quite my goal. To be honest, the only function I really wanted to try and retain was the Hybrid screen with the historical mileage graph.

Unfortunately, I am still not certain which of the 4 different ports on the back of this radio is the main one that connects to power / speakers and which has the data wire that would need to be connected. One of the connectors on the back of this radio has 15 large pins in an offset 7-over-8 style. I am at a loss to identify any reverse harness that would match this one, and each of the others has small pins - 2 with 12, and one with 17. Again... None of the reverse harnesses match up that I have found.

Scangauges are nice, I own one for another vehicle. I am less than confident in their "gallons per hour", "average MPG", and "instant mpg" numbers however, as it would seem to be a calculated number based on remembering to hit the 'fillup' option each time you do. I want something a little more accurate.
CarlD who post on http://www.cleanmpg.com/ installed the Nav system in his '05 FEH he bought used. I'm sure he could help you.

That graph was useless IMO on my '05 FEH. Even the tank average drops data after about 200 miles, so you can't get a correct tank average from any of the OEM gauges on the '05 - '08 FEH. The Nav radio was the best feature with the speakers and sub-woofer.

CarlD is an Electrical Engineer and an expert on the FEH and Scangauge. The Scangauge can be adjusted to give you the correct MPG average. The Scangauge can also be programmed to read digital HV battery charge level within a tenth of a percent, which is much better than the Nav system graph.

Join cleanmpg.com and ask CarlD your questions in the FEH section. CarlD will not post here.

GaryG