Factory XM Radio Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Factory XM Radio Installed

Well I finally found someone in Riverside to install the genuine Honda XM radio in my HCH II w/navi at a reasonable price. I was referred to him some time ago by a Honda dealer to install an Ipod connection in my 04 Civic. He used to work at Honda but quit to start his own business. He installed the system exactly as the instructions from Honda displayed. One thing I changed though I had him put the antenna on the trunk lid. I didn't want it on the front windshield as I already had to have it fixed once for stone damage and its only going to be a matter of time before I have to replace the windshield. It was a little scary watching him do the install. Dashboard, center console, back seat, and the panels in the trunk all were removed. When they were done the interior looked exactly as it did before the install. I was truly amazed with the great job they did. The XM radio sounds great and works from voice prompts also. If any of you live in the Southern California area and are interested his information is listed below.

Tap's Auto Accessories
12203 Magnolia Ave
Riverside, Ca. 92503

Chris Tapia
951-737-4400
951-830-2331 Cell

$575 completely installed using genuine Honda parts. Sure beats the $900 plus dollars the dealers around here are asking.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory XM Radio Installed

is that price just for the labor that was involved? or does that include the part too?

Old 05-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

$575 was an out the door price.Genuine Honda parts and labor included. I thought it was a great deal since most of the dealers I called wanted between $440 and $475 just for the parts alone. (XM tuner, antenna, and wiring harness ) I tried using a portable XM unit but I found it to be too distracting while driving. I enjoy having the controls on the steering wheel as well as the voice control. I think it was a small price to pay for the additional safety.

Last edited by dburanich; 05-20-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dburanich
$575 was an out the door price.Genuine Honda parts and labor included. I thought it was a great deal since most of the dealers I called wanted between $440 and $475 just for the parts alone. (XM tuner, antenna, and wiring harness ) I tried using a portable XM unit but I found it to be too distracting while driving. I enjoy having the controls on the steering wheel as well as the voice control. I think it was a small price to pay for the additional safety.
Glad to hear you got a good deal and are enjoying the XM. I’m the guy who got the “free” XM dealer install (see my XM Scam thread, if you haven’t already).

I’m also VERY happy with my system, but since I didn’t get any kind of manual for the unit, I’ve got a few questions you may be able to help me with.

• Do you have the make & model of the receiver, or know where I can access an operator’s manual on line? If you can tell me that, I can probably answer the rest of my questions on my own.
  • Within each band (XM1 & XM2) there is a touch-screen “Mode” button in the upper right hand corner of the screen that switches the mode between “Channel” and “Category”. The Channel mode lets you navigate up and down the channels, using the scan up and down button, but what does the Category mode do? I assumed that it would let you jump from one set of channels to the next (i.e. Country to Rock to News to Sports, etc.), but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! It won’t be the end of the world if I don’t find these things out, but I’ll be a bit frustrated. There is a good reason my wife calls me Inspector Gadget. I’m so into the technical details of any new gadget that I get, that I sit down and read the owner’s/operator’s manual from cover to cover, because I MUST KNOW exactly what the equipment is capable of! Yes, I was out in my driveway into the wee hours the evening we brought home our Hybrid, just verifying that it did what the book said it would.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did not receive any type of manuals either but the receiver installed was in the original "honda packaging" and was sealed. I was able to figure out the answer to your question though. Once you are on a station in the category you want ie. (decades, country, rock, or news etc.) switch to the category function and it will only select station that are in that category when you select up or down.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

The shop that did the install said there was no manual with the receiver and I didn't quite beleive them, but I guess it's true.

Thanks for the info on the categories. It makes sense. I'll give it a try in the morning.