Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Default Re: Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Originally Posted by colchiro
I did not purchase an extended warranty b/c I rarely keep a vehicle after it's paid off, but this is also my first hybrid and my first new vehicle for about 20 years.

My wife has been recently been diagnosed with the progressive (bad) form of MS and it appears will have to quit work during the first half of 2011, leaving us with one income and a major hardship. I don't know if my FEH will work with a wheel chair or if I'll need a van with a ramp, so don't know if I should opt for the extended warranty. I'm close to 34k miles now.
Rick, sorry to hear about your wife's condition but I'm planning on myself being in a complete handicap mode all the time in the near future. The '09 FEH can be fitted with a class 111 hitch and power can be extended for a lift for an electric cart for your wife when needed. A weather cover is all you need for it. I've been already making changes to my home knowing hard times are coming and you should do the same. The master bath is my next project and you might want to see what hotels have done for the handicap for ideas.

I'm with you on the extended warranty issue and must make a decision soon on my '09 FEH. I get a good disability and retirement paycheck and my wife makes good money if I can drive to pick-up work and money for her second job. The new 2011 Explorer I ordered will most likely be the last car for me, but the 2009 Escape Hybrid I drive now is a keeper.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 01-01-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks Gary, you guys are great.

Do you have a link to what you are describing for the electric cart?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Scooters come in a variety of shapes and configurations:

Lifts are designed for your needs and vehicle type:

If you have a military background, these items might be available at no charge depending upon a variety of factors.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks Billy. No military background for either of us.

I like the sporty one...

0 to 10 in 30 seconds....

Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Feral Engineer

On the electric wheelchair topic - my FIL got a free one through medicare just before he died - cost 3 or 4 thousand dollars. I tried to sell it and found that it was essentially worthless as the market was flooded with people in the same boat as me, and the government is still giving them away free.

This is good news for anyone that needs to buy one out of pocket.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Coal Miner
Those prices you quoted made me curious. That site, and the warranty, are not directly from Ford. This is from "Flood Auto Group ESP Sales" in Narragansett, RI. See the Contact Us page. https://www.myfordwarranty.com/contact.php. The website is owned by saccucci honda in middletown, Rhode Island. See http://whois.domaintools.com/myfordwarranty.com

I know consumer reports and others say you can find lower prices warranties if you shop around. In fact they even cite an example like this, to go to a non-Ford dealer/service to price a plan for a Ford vehicle. So this is one example. To me, one of the downsides, is you probably have to pay your repair costs yourself, and then file a claim for reimbursement. But I can easily live with that if the difference is a few hundred $$$.

Also, eliminate any surprises and check that there are no restrictions in the "fine print" about using re-manufactured parts vs. OEM Motorcraft parts. Sort of like Dental Coverage in group health plans, insurance privider says the cost of a cleaning is $60, your dentist charges you $70, you pay the difference. Or in this case, you pay the $70, and your plan reimburses you $60.

Just a thought.
I should have responded to your middle point (filing reimbursement) earlier, but anyway here it is. I bought my warranty from myfordwaranty, and I had the local dealer check their computer - it showed my extended warranty as applicable to my vehicle. So there is no out-of-pocket expense (I have zero deductible). I bought mine because there are just too many items to go wrong in modern vehicles, and I plan to keep my 2008 for a long time.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I should have responded to your middle point (filing reimbursement) earlier, but anyway here it is. I bought my warranty from myfordwaranty, and I had the local dealer check their computer - it showed my extended warranty as applicable to my vehicle. So there is no out-of-pocket expense (I have zero deductible). I bought mine because there are just too many items to go wrong in modern vehicles, and I plan to keep my 2008 for a long time.
Same here, bought the warranty extension online and then called a local dealer to confirm that the extension showed up in their system for my VIN.