Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Originally Posted by weski
My MMH 06 is coming up on its 3 year mark and I am pondering an extended warranty. I only have 22k on it and its been just fine. I expect to keep the car for at least another 3 years. For about $680-850 through myfordwarranty.com, I could have the premium with $50 or $100 deductible. What are your thoughts - have you used it? Been worth it? It seems to me that any major problem would cost at least that and it may be worth the price. I am assuming, of course, that Ford/Mercury will be around in some form, despite the economy.
Buying an extended warranty from a dealer at the time of purchase of the car (as I did) leads to an interesting irony: After your told the car you're buying is the best ever, and will run forever, they turn around and try to sell you insurance against something happening.

As one writer stated in this thread, if they weren't making money, they wouldn't sell the things.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Originally Posted by wwest
Random chance, some win, MOST don't.
Willard is correct. Most consumer guides do not recommend buying them. That said, depending on YMM, there might be one I would buy. But I tend to choose something well made...so if it doesn't go wrong in first 3y/36k miles....
....I just "talked" Ford into covering a repair that was "not under warranty" at 41,000 miles. All I paid was what would have been the $100 due to my "customer loyalty" - and this was the first Ford I've owned.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM

I feel that for most cars this is not worth it. The technology is well understood and reliable. The only basis I see for getting it is your assessment of how reliable the FEH transaxle is. If this needed replacement it would be a big bill.

My read of this is that the technology is quite simple (a planetary gear set with two synchronous machines) and therefore reliable. The computer control and electric setup is well understood technology and (though some are frustrated by problems) should not generally give problems.

I chose not to get such insurance. My FEH has 41,000 (so far unblemished) miles on it.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have bought one extended warranty and that was for a '02 Dodge Grand Caravan. The only reason I bought the warranty is because the '93 Grand Caravan I owned prior to this had multiple problems with AC compressors - had to replace every couple of years so the extended warranty would have been well worth the money. Then the '02 Caravan, with the warranty, went through the 7 year/100,000 mile period with no problems, so go figure.

Overall advice would be if you see a good repair history on the vehicle don't bother - if the repair history is bad buy one. I'm going to watch our '09 TCH closely for the three year/36,000 mile period then make my mind up, but Toyota usually puts out a good product so I don't anticipate buying one this time.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Coal Miner
IMO cell phones and other personal electronics are different beasts.... it's a different game. Just my opinion.
The example was for electronics which may have been misleading, but we've had at least 3 extended vehicle warranties that we didn't use.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Coal Miner
I dont mean to drag this point out, but from the website of myfordwarranty.com, in the FAQ section:

Is this the same product that is sold at my local Ford Dealership?
Yes. These ESP contracts are backed by Ford Motor Company and are sold in all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealerships. Your ESP will be honored at all Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships. We sell in volume and can therefore offer great discounts over your local Ford dealer.

Under another section it says "Repairs are made only with genuine Ford part by factory trained and crtified technicians."

I also see it stated "No out of pocket expenses other than the applicable deductible". I wonder how they get all Ford and LM service depts. accept this.

That sounds good.
Well, something has to be different. The list price (the one provided by FMC) is $2345. I can see a discount of a few hundred, but to get it at over 50% off seems a bit odd.

https://www.genuineservice.com/esp/welcome.do

EDIT: OK, I just looked at the other site, and it shows 100K, 7 year coverage at $1695, which is believable.

Last edited by stevedebi; 03-03-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Red face Re: Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
I feel that for most cars this is not worth it. The technology is well understood and reliable. The only basis I see for getting it is your assessment of how reliable the FEH transaxle is. If this needed replacement it would be a big bill.
Bill - you know that the eCVTs ('transaxles') in all FEHs are covered for 8yrs 100,000 miles [10yrs 150,000 in some states] under the standard hybrid warranty.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Now that you mention it... yeah. Should have brought that up.

...And that's kind of my point, that you probably really don't need these extended warrantees. The technology is well understood for nearly all of the car and Ford gives that longer warranty for the transaxle because it is relatively new and they don't have as much data built up on the service life of its internal parts.

But, you're right, I should have included that.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

That seems like a good price; Ford dealership (where I bought my Toyota Highlander Hybrid '06) offered me an exteded warranty on this Highlander for $1700.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM

I did not purchase an extended warranty b/c I rarely keep a vehicle after it's paid off, but this is also my first hybrid and my first new vehicle for about 20 years.

My wife has been recently been diagnosed with the progressive (bad) form of MS and it appears will have to quit work during the first half of 2011, leaving us with one income and a major hardship. I don't know if my FEH will work with a wheel chair or if I'll need a van with a ramp, so don't know if I should opt for the extended warranty. I'm close to 34k miles now.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Worth it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands